Do you wear a mask even where it isn't required?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 02:37:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you wear a mask even where it isn't required?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you wear a mask even where it isn't required?  
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Do you wear a mask even where it isn't required?  (Read 1602 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2022, 10:36:27 AM »

I was at the Mall of America today. Mask wearing is probably down to less than 10% and probably even a majority of Asians were unmasked, previously the most masked demographic.

Interestingly enough the current most masked demographic seems to be teenage girls.
I noticed lately that most mask wearers are either African American women, Asian Americans, or people between the ages of 18 and 25. Probably about 90% of African American women, 75% of Asian Americans, and about 70% of people between 18 and 25 still wear masks near me. Oddly enough, most do not wear N95s and instead double or triple up the cheap surgical masks.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 04:08:11 PM »

In my shopping trips to Whole Foods and Target this week, almost everyone was wearing a mask. Every time I've been on the train, everyone was wearing a mask. So proud to be surrounded by such good liberals. Smiley
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2022, 05:21:20 PM »

At this point I’m not even wearing it where it is “required.”
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2022, 06:09:08 PM »

I noticed lately that most mask wearers are either African American women, Asian Americans, or people between the ages of 18 and 25. Probably about 90% of African American women, 75% of Asian Americans, and about 70% of people between 18 and 25 still wear masks near me. Oddly enough, most do not wear N95s and instead double or triple up the cheap surgical masks.
Nobody is doing that. Barely anyone is double masking either. I have yet to see anyone triple mask.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 02:10:39 AM »

Everywhere I am, people wearing masks has been relegated to a personal/individual curiosity akin to someone wearing a life vest in the community pool in case he should start to drown … as it should be.  No one ridicules them for this behavior, and certainly no one feels any pressure to behave similarly to satisfy this one person’s apprehension.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2022, 02:20:29 AM »

Less than 20% of people I see wear masks
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2022, 01:29:13 PM »

MTA still has mask mandates for some silly reason.  On Metro-North they de facto stopped enforcing it about a couple of weeks ago.  From the beginning, I refused to wear masks and only would put them on only if instructed by the conductor and take them off after they are out of sight.  I sometimes hide in the bathroom just to read my mobile device in peace without the conductor nagging me about putting on my mask.  Anyway with de facto non-enforcement, I would say around 25% of riders of Metro-North do not wear masks.  The gender disparity is quite stark.   About half of men now do not wear masks on the trains I rid but almost all women still wear masks.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »

Imagine hiding in a commuter train bathroom to own the libs.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2022, 06:04:19 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2022, 11:57:48 PM by Frodo »

At this point, everyone out there who is fully vaccinated and boosted and voluntarily still wearing a mask (unless you are elderly and/or immunocompromised), are doing so mainly for virtue-signaling purposes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2022, 09:32:54 AM »

Only in stores now they're not requiring it in Airports or mass transit now, because we're still in an Endemic but the Hospitalized is down.

But, COVID is an Endemic because it's a Worldwide problem India has 1B people and 12 M died of Covid
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »

Only on rare occasions, like very packed stores etc.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2022, 10:15:26 AM »

(It’s basically no longer required anywhere for me, but...) No, on no occasion — I’m not into mass hypnosis which could have been taken straight from The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind, and I don’t have any sort of mask fetish.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2022, 08:02:35 AM »

Nobody is doing that. Barely anyone is double masking either. I have yet to see anyone triple mask.
I’ve seen perhaps 50 people triple mask where I live over the years and many hundreds of double maskers. Some of the double and triple maskers I saw yesterday had an N95 as a base and then a cloth mask and a surgical one on top of the cloth mask.
bithouspreg
Rookie
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2022, 08:36:08 AM »

I sometimes did during winter do protect myself from the cold and to a lesser extent own the cons.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2022, 07:48:16 AM »

I sometimes did during winter do protect myself from the cold and to a lesser extent own the cons.

Sorry, but you were just owning yourself and looked ridiculous wearing a mask outside, even to most well-grounded liberals. Smiley
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2022, 09:02:17 AM »

Sorry, but you were just owning yourself and looked ridiculous wearing a mask outside, even to most well-grounded liberals. Smiley
I think compucomp, SnowLaborador, and Forumlurker are the only users on the forum who still mask outside. Outside masking was the first area of masking that I stopped doing probably in March of 2021 or a little earlier.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »

I don’t mask outside anymore I stopped a few weeks ago.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2022, 09:11:39 AM »

(It’s basically no longer required anywhere for me, but...) No, on no occasion — I’m not into mass hypnosis which could have been taken straight from The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind, and I don’t have any sort of mask fetish.
At least I can meme properly even with a mask.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »

Never
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2022, 04:46:46 PM »

I've continued & will continue to wear them in those locations where doing so continues to remain most sensible, like medical facilities, public transportation networks, etc. At UF in particular, I continued wearing them through my graduation just because a significant number of students in my classes were unvaxxed & of the loud, Floridian Trumpist variety that doesn't believe in the vaccine or putting on a mask except when a senior-citizen professor politely reminds them that they can either put the mask on or get a 0 participation grade at the end of the semester, so I kept them on just to give myself & those who I'm in regular close contact with that extra bit of protection from such loud obnoxiousness, in addition to remaining compliant with individual professor policies in the classrooms. Otherwise, as a double-vaxxed & boosted person, I don't see much of a point, esp. if I'm the only person in a room anyway; the only general exception would be an area of poor ventilation. So far, I haven't tested positive for all of the 2+ years of this pandemic, but that's largely a matter of luck.

LOL.  This obviously shouldn't be tolerated.  Should a professor similarly be able to require students to wear a certain color shirt to class every day or risk getting a zero "participation grade"?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »

I think compucomp, SnowLaborador, and Forumlurker are the only users on the forum who still mask outside. Outside masking was the first area of masking that I stopped doing probably in March of 2021 or a little earlier.

I mean, masking outside was never logical, backed by science or anything other than virtue signaling.  It was a ~statement~ that you were ~someone who masks up~, and that was never not ridiculous.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2022, 10:24:32 AM »

I mean, masking outside was never logical, backed by science or anything other than virtue signaling.  It was a ~statement~ that you were ~someone who masks up~, and that was never not ridiculous.
The outdoor masking wasn't really enforced that much at least in New Jersey and I only did it because I feared that I would be the "lucky" one who would have been harassed by a police officer or security guard for not doing so.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2022, 10:53:45 AM »

The outdoor masking wasn't really enforced that much at least in New Jersey and I only did it because I feared that I would be the "lucky" one who would have been harassed by a police officer or security guard for not doing so.

Yes, to be clear I think masking is now to the point of being stupid, but I have no interest in creating a scene, much less putting some low-level employee through an uncomfortable situation … in other words, if it’s required somewhere, I’ll go along.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies