Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:27:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities  (Read 3846 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« on: April 19, 2022, 09:56:51 PM »

Conservatives have been attacking universities for decades, what else is new?

And no surprise that the usual suspects think this is a good move.

This boils down to the fact that right-wingers are just terrified of dissent. That's why they hate universities so much, because it gives their children the opportunity to think for themselves instead of just parroting back what mom and dad have taught them.

No but there should be less grants given out for non hard science research

Frankly, nonsense like this is why there are so many problems with our society. Do you sincerely believe that social sciences and the arts don't produce anything of societal value?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 10:08:08 AM »

Second of all Modi and the BJP are literally India’s version of Likud

Why would you think this comparison would make us like Modi more?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »

If the social sciences departments were comprised of a truly diverse group of people with a wide spectrum of perspectives, then, yes, that would be the case.  That's not what the Social Sciences in our universities is about today; it's about people with various leftist perspectives performing research to justify their own viewpoints with data, while demonizing opposing conclusions.

If the biology departments were comprised of a truly diverse group of people with a wide spectrum of perspectives, then there would be more doctors out there who believe in healing crystals and essential oils.

Now imagine a Social Sciences professor doing longitudinal research and finding out the results of the outcomes of children growing up in not just single parent households, but in gay/lesbian households, trans households, etc.  Just what would be the response to data which showed the outcomes of children raised in such homes to be less optimal than children raised in two-parent biological families.  Would this research be received well, or would the research be suppressed, the researcher systematically discredited?  Which would happen in today's environment?

Thanks, it's a lot easier when you guys just straight-up admit the truth like this: you're using your imagined oppression as an excuse to actually oppress people.

Now I don't know what honest longitudinal research into a topic like this would show.  What I do know is that much of academia is not prepared to be open-minded into all sorts of assertions as to what social norms should be.  Let's not pretend that Social Science departments of universities are stocked with open-minded objective researchers. 

Social sciences are, by definition, open-minded. Conservatism is, by definition, close-minded. So it's no wonder that those two things don't mesh well together. Same reason there aren't a lot of liberals at business school.

What does it say to the state of colleges and universities when conservative lecturers are shouted down routinely to the point where their even being given a platform on campus is cause for discord and disturbance? Certainly, it says something for the college administrators and faculty that are OK with this. 

It says that these college administrators and faculty value free speech, which protects the students' rights to shout down speakers. Freedom of speech is important to me. Is it important to you?

Students not only have to conform to the Leftist leaning of professors for grades,

No they don't.

They have to conform to the leftist leanings of their fellow students to not be ostracized.

So now your definition of "colleges have gone mad" is that nobody wants to be friends with conservatives?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 11:06:17 AM »

Colleges support your pre-determined conclusions of things.  Perhaps the "pre" part is when you were in college, and now you're a graduate, in which case, your viewpoints are the product of Leftist Engineering.

I was a liberal long before I went to college.

Can we stop pretending that Colleges are NOT Leftist bastions?  That they have become that way over time?  That conservative viewpoints on campus, both amongst students and amongst faculty, are a minority viewpoint and endure varying degrees of disrespect?  That "Woke" ideology has thoroughly permeated mostly all public and most private universities and that sets the tone for college life in all aspects?

No I don't agree.

If you truly think that colleges turn everyone into liberals, then perhaps we don't have a problem of biased universities - perhaps the modern conservative movement has become so radical and so far removed from what it once stood that being exposed to new ideas and differing opinions is, in and of itself, "liberal" in your eyes.

The problem isn't universities have changed. Conservatives have changed.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 01:05:48 PM »

Anyway its just not Trumpists who like DeSantis cause Jeb Bush is a huge fan of his policies.

"It's not just Trumpists who like DeSantis, people who are horrible for completely different reasons like him too."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 01:29:28 PM »

I have cited my family and family friends on cultural issues cause many of them are democrats who hold those views and am basically warning you guys about how much you guys are alienating your own base .

Yeah? And I know dozens of Republicans who think the GOP has gone way too far in their anti-LGBT messaging.

See how easy it is to cite anecdotal experiences that suit your own narrative?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies