Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:06:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities  (Read 3897 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« on: April 19, 2022, 09:37:26 PM »

"It’s all about trying to make these institutions more in line with what the state’s priorities are [...]"

If this quote doesn't raise red flags for you, you should really sit down and reflect on your views.

Attempting to control research and academic discourse to make it more "in line" with "the state's priorities" is not even the first step towards a fascist state and parallels other fascist governments in history quite well.

This is an assault on academic freedom and free practice of a discipline. The state has NO business attempting to regulate academic freedom, much less by threatening tenure over it. This is dangerous, and people like OSR enable it with their fanatic politics.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 09:48:57 PM »

"It’s all about trying to make these institutions more in line with what the state’s priorities are [...]"

If this quote doesn't raise red flags for you, you should really sit down and reflect on your views.

Attempting to control research and academic discourse to make it more "in line" with "the state's priorities" is not even the first step towards a fascist state and parallels other fascist governments in history quite well.

This is an assault on academic freedom and free practice of a discipline. The state has NO business attempting to regulate academic freedom, much less by threatening tenure over it. This is dangerous, and people like OSR enable it with their fanatic politics.

Well that’s why you have private universities then and yes research grants should be prioritized for Hard Science not the social sciences . Anyway yes we need more accountability at universities which means yes a limit of tenure which is good .

Non sequitor
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 09:54:53 PM »

Well that’s why you have private universities then and yes research grants should be prioritized for Hard Science not the social sciences . Anyway yes we need more accountability at universities which means yes a limit of tenure which is good .

Do you believe that faculty at public universities should be beholden to the ideology of the state?

No but there should be less grants given out for non hard science research

Why, then, are you calling this legislation "Mega Based"?

Shameful.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 11:07:36 PM »

Btw you guys think I’m super right wing on this issue , but whenever these types of issues get discussed with my parents and other family members I usually am the most liberal member in the group on these types of issues .

That's more an indictment of your family members than an acquittal for you.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 11:15:26 PM »

Good professors will leave states that pass laws like this and go to states where they are wanted. So I guess this is good for a place like Illinois.

Exactly. FL is gubernatio non grata for any serious academic employment at this point.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 11:02:38 AM »

Just wait until a FL governor tries to force biologists to teach creationism.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 07:27:26 PM »

So Cope and Seethe while us “ignorant” conservatives make these reforms cause the American public is in support of us

I can’t tell if you’re having a stroke, or I am.

I honestly, at one point, thought OSR was a more level headed and clear minded individual. Maybe at some point he was, and now his posts are basically some amalgamation of talking point memes on a political forum.

Maybe he's like this now and something changed along the way. I refuse to acknowledge this discourse as worthwhile addressing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies