Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:16:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities  (Read 3880 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2022, 12:15:16 PM »

I'm calling the main stream media out for lying about this bill cause they just want to make DeSantis seem as evil as possible.
The media aren't lying about this and their motive isn't to "make DeSantis seem as evil as possible". They're simply reporting what's happening.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2022, 12:16:56 PM »

On education I think we should just go back to how stuff was taught in 2012 which was not that long ago and I support doing that across the board regardless of subject . Same reason I oppose most of the new creative leaning methods too
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2022, 12:18:42 PM »

On education I think we should just go back to how stuff was taught in 2012 which was not that long ago and I support doing that across the board regardless of subject . Same reason I oppose most of the new creative leaning methods too

Most other countries have abandoned the " old " teaching methods.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »

My mom has this quote she uses : “The researchers in this field have a 0% success rate in whatever thing they have gotten added into education “.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2022, 12:27:33 PM »

Everyone just yearns for how they in hindsight perceive things were when they were young.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »

My mom has this quote she uses : “The researchers in this field have a 0% success rate in whatever thing they have gotten added into education “.

Finland, Singapore, and basically every other Developed country is ahead of the US.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2022, 01:00:22 PM »

Anyway its just not Trumpists who like DeSantis cause Jeb Bush is a huge fan of his policies. He even just wrote this :

Jeb was one of the best governors Florida has had especially on educational issues
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2022, 01:05:48 PM »

Anyway its just not Trumpists who like DeSantis cause Jeb Bush is a huge fan of his policies.

"It's not just Trumpists who like DeSantis, people who are horrible for completely different reasons like him too."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »

What's your mom's background with the subject?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2022, 01:17:06 PM »

Para-Educator
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2022, 01:55:04 PM »

Para-Educator

Okay, good to know. It's good practice to establish these things early in the conversation to avoid the perception that you're deferring to an irrelevant authority.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2022, 02:47:24 PM »

Part of the role of a university, as an institution, is to inquire and challenge accepted norms, and push the boundaries of our collective understanding of the world around us. An environment like that cannot thrive if it's being threatened with the cynical machinations of elected politicians deferring to the base instincts of Pavlov-ed voters.

This action will only limit our competitiveness and innovation at an institutional level, and it must be opposed, root and branch.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2022, 04:18:39 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2022, 04:22:12 PM by scutosaurus »

May I ask what, specifically, you want to change about current curricula? Putting aside the 1619 project, which I would agree is riddled with inaccuracies and isn't the best framing for high school classes, I usually see you refer to these vague generalities that don't really mean anything - "new creative learning methods," "this stuff," etc. "CRT" falls into this category at this point too, given it's been diluted by the right to mean anything that isn't blind lionization of the founders.

I think there's a legitimate, productive conversation to be had about education in this country, but without providing specific methods and curricula you object to, it just sounds like you haven't done very much research on it.

My apologies if you have specified at some point outside this thread and I just haven't seen it, by the way.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2022, 04:35:38 PM »

"It’s all about trying to make these institutions more in line with what the state’s priorities are [...]"

If this quote doesn't raise red flags for you, you should really sit down and reflect on your views.

Attempting to control research and academic discourse to make it more "in line" with "the state's priorities" is not even the first step towards a fascist state and parallels other fascist governments in history quite well.

This is an assault on academic freedom and free practice of a discipline. The state has NO business attempting to regulate academic freedom, much less by threatening tenure over it. This is dangerous, and people like OSR enable it with their fanatic politics.

But, ya know, party of limited government, free expression, individual freedom, etc. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2022, 12:25:24 PM »

Para-Educator

Okay, good to know. It's good practice to establish these things early in the conversation to avoid the perception that you're deferring to an irrelevant authority.

In fairness, he has cited his parents views as authority for his views in multiple other threads and subjects within the last few months.

With all respect to osrs mother, Reliance on her just because she's a pair of educate her without any other discussion is pretty close to meaningless in terms of authorities to rely on.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2022, 12:29:54 PM »

Para-Educator

In fairness, he has cited his parents views as a Thor t in multiple other Reds and subjects within the last few months.

With all respect to osrs mother, Reliance on her just because she's a pair of educate her without any other discussion is pretty close to meaningless in terms of authorities to rely on.

I have cited my family and family friends on cultural issues cause many of them are democrats who hold those views and am basically warning you guys about how much you guys are alienating your own base .

Immigrant families are very big on stuff like parental rights , and using traditional educational methods so ignore my advice at your own peril
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2022, 01:29:28 PM »

I have cited my family and family friends on cultural issues cause many of them are democrats who hold those views and am basically warning you guys about how much you guys are alienating your own base .

Yeah? And I know dozens of Republicans who think the GOP has gone way too far in their anti-LGBT messaging.

See how easy it is to cite anecdotal experiences that suit your own narrative?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2022, 01:37:31 PM »

Para-Educator

It is safe to completely ignore what beep boop says, because "para-educator" is a completely irrelevant authority (even teachers are) and his main argument is things should revert to when he was in school. Clearly, that worked out so well for his development. Maybe if he actually learned something from school, he could write proper sentences...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2022, 01:40:20 PM »

Yeah? And I know dozens of Republicans who think the GOP has gone way too far in their anti-LGBT messaging.

See how easy it is to cite anecdotal experiences that suit your own narrative?

Well that’s why then we should let parents decide how this stuff should be taught and let them make their own choices .
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2022, 01:57:37 PM »

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/2022/04/19/desantis-signs-bill-limiting-tenure-at-florida-public-universities/?outputType=amp

Mega Based move by DeSantis and it absolutely sucks Trump fans will vote for the guy who acts like a 4 year old whiner over the governor who has actually is winning so much for conservative causes .

The overuse of "based" on this board is what we really need to limit if anything.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2022, 02:01:07 PM »

Btw you guys think I’m super right wing on this issue , but whenever these types of issues get discussed with my parents and other family members I usually am the most liberal member in the group on these types of issues .

So? What does your anecdotes about your family have to do with whether you are super right wing or not?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2022, 02:02:48 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2022, 02:08:16 PM by Old School Republican »

Btw you guys think I’m super right wing on this issue , but whenever these types of issues get discussed with my parents and other family members I usually am the most liberal member in the group on these types of issues .

So? What does your anecdotes about your family have to do with whether you are super right wing or not?

Many of the them are democrats and the point is this board completely overestimates how liberal much of their base really is which is why I bring them up . 
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2022, 02:34:49 PM »

Many of the them are democrats and the point is this board completely overestimates how liberal much of their base really is which is why I bring them up . 

Because your family is a good sample size to disprove that?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2022, 02:37:00 PM »

Because your family is a good sample size to disprove that?

Hispanics and Asians  in many ways are more conservative than whites so Dems do have to be careful how they approach certain issues
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2022, 03:51:46 PM »

I think OSR has an unfair reputation as a Trump hack when he's not. While he's conservative, he's very pragmatic about it and is known to debate some of the more conservative users on various issues.

He comes across as a refugee from a universe where political debate never evolved past people like James Carville and Dick Morris yelling at one another on Face the Nation.

Our overall discourse would actually be better if that’s how political debate still was though
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies