Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:28:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis signs bill to limit tenure at public universities  (Read 3898 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »

You are right though that I have changed . I have seen how the left has utterly ruined my city and state , they have weaponized institutions that used to be viewed as “non political” in this country to ram down their social agenda ,  and want to demonize people who hold socially traditional views and the fact is I no longer believe we should just accept this and instead believe we should fight back using all the power we have .

I do want to thank Conservacord for helping open my eyes
Imagine being a grown man getting radicalized by a Discord server, lmao.

This is hilarious given lib posters on here have had their own cord too and I am sure you along with other posters on there have tried to change the views of other posters on there too and in some cases succeeded.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »

You are right though that I have changed . I have seen how the left has utterly ruined my city and state , they have weaponized institutions that used to be viewed as “non political” in this country to ram down their social agenda ,  and want to demonize people who hold socially traditional views and the fact is I no longer believe we should just accept this and instead believe we should fight back using all the power we have .

This is hilarious given lib posters on here have had their own cord too and I am sure you along with other posters on there have tried to change the views of other posters on there too and in some cases succeeded.

I barely know what "discord" is and I can ensure you that I do not and would not post on a "lib" "cord" and on top of that have very little interest in changing anyone's opinion, no matter where they are on the political spectrum.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2022, 02:26:40 PM »

It's hilarious that people have to segregate themselves into echo chambers because they're too scared and intellectually vapid to debate with those in other parts of the political spectrum.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2022, 07:29:50 PM »

It's hilarious that people have to segregate themselves into echo chambers because they're too scared and intellectually vapid to debate with those in other parts of the political spectrum.

Discord is actually a pretty good place to debate politics and hopefully the new Lokard works out better than the last one. The reason is you can have a constant back and forth about different topics which is just hard on a forum like this. CCord is a very active cord and there are a few posters on there that have changed my mind on a few issues after we went back and forth and I believe I have done similarly to other posters on there as well.

The reason debate has become so hard on here is cause one a forum is harder to have that constant back and forth and can result in more pile ons due to a basic nature of a forum but also the fact on many issues people on the right and left think the other side has the viewpoints either cause they are bad people or stupid and that just makes debating impossible.

Take the Alcibiades post where he literally launched a personal attack at me and you had 10 posters on here recommend it while my snarky response to him was viewed as me going crazy even though I was responding to a personal attack. I have a question why do so many on here view it ok to personally attack others on here but believe the people who respond in-kind are the ones at fault. Its clear cause they think that people on the right are either dumb or evil and think that we deserve to be personally attack. 

The fact is you cannot have a substantive debate with people like Alcibiades and in fact an increasing number of posters on here but I can on Conservacord which is why they have been able to change my minds more. Dont get me wrong their are many great red avatars(President Johnson, Blairite, Parrotguy etc) which is why I can have a substantive conversation with them and from time to time I think they have changed my mind on an issue or two as well.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2022, 07:34:23 PM »

I used discord for nationstates talk. I know. i was a Nationstates geek for a while, and i hated it. So much hassle.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2022, 07:48:19 PM »

I used discord for nationstates talk. I know. i was a Nationstates geek for a while, and i hated it. So much hassle.

I've played NationStates for just about 11 years now (it's the basis for my Atlas persona) but I never got into the roleplay aspect. Didn't get into the forums until 2016 and stopped following them when I became more active here.

There's a lot going on in the Atlas discord servers. It's too much for me to keep up with.

I don't regret restarting this thread, but I wish there was more discussion of the benefits and drawbacks of ethnic studies in K-12 schools, or of longitudinal studies of adopted children.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2022, 09:33:14 PM »

I think OSR has an unfair reputation as a Trump hack when he's not. While he's conservative, he's very pragmatic about it and is known to debate some of the more conservative users on various issues.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2022, 12:18:42 AM »

I think OSR has an unfair reputation as a Trump hack when he's not. While he's conservative, he's very pragmatic about it and is known to debate some of the more conservative users on various issues.

This is true. The big issue with OSR is that he has less facility than a lot of other posters when it comes to debating politics in terms different from those dictated by the half-baked conventional wisdom of the moment. He comes across as a refugee from a universe where political debate never evolved past people like James Carville and Dick Morris yelling at one another on Face the Nation.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2022, 12:21:57 AM »

I think OSR has an unfair reputation as a Trump hack when he's not.

I think we all know that he didn't vote for Trump in 2016 nor 2020?

Thanks to his voluntary radicalization on something called "conservacord," maybe he will in 2024, but we'll see. There's plenty of time for him to escape.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2022, 12:42:03 AM »

Thanks to his voluntary radicalization on something called "conservacord," maybe he will in 2024, but we'll see. There's plenty of time for him to escape.

Can you name some issues I have "radicalized" on cause if you are accusing someone of being radicalized you should name a few issues that person has radicalized on.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2022, 07:03:01 AM »

Can you name some issues I have "radicalized" on cause if you are accusing someone of being radicalized you should name a few issues that person has radicalized on.

How is it an "accusation" when you yourself have already admitted that you've moved right on cultural issues in the past year, and that people on "conservacord," a safe space alternative to this forum, have "opened your eyes" and changed your opinions on some issues to match theirs?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2022, 07:15:55 AM »

I don’t see the OSR who was very suspect of Trump and reactionary culture war politics in general falling in love with a DeSantis and trying to get people fired for being gay
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »

I don’t see the OSR who was very suspect of Trump and reactionary culture war politics in general falling in love with a DeSantis and trying to get people fired for being gay

Nothing about the Florida bill is reactionary propaganda and what you guys are claiming the bill does is nothing but a lie  . Pretty much everyone I know IRL including democrats support it even more than I do and their only problem is it does not go far enough .

Anyway I mentioned this a lot in 2019-20 as well but the reason I opposed Trump didn’t have to with policy cause on policy grounds I’d have gladly voted for him as well .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2022, 09:55:23 AM »

How is it an "accusation" when you yourself have already admitted that you've moved right on cultural issues in the past year, and that people on "conservacord," a safe space alternative to this forum, have "opened your eyes" and changed your opinions on some issues to match theirs?

I said a few posters helped with that along with all the other stuff I mentioned . The other stuff was more important in changing my views and I wouldn’t have changed without those other stuff I mentioned but you guys won’t even read that other stuff will you . Besides  one of the goal of political debate is to change other people’s minds and that’s what I try to do with other posters as well .

Lastly radical means outside the mainstream and none of my views really are
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2022, 10:08:40 AM »

Nothing about the Florida bill is reactionary propaganda and what you guys are claiming the bill does is nothing but a lie  . Pretty much everyone I know IRL including democrats support it even more than I do and their only problem is it does not go far enough .

Anyway I mentioned this a lot in 2019-20 as well but the reason I opposed Trump didn’t have to with policy cause on policy grounds I’d have gladly voted for him as well .

I won't keep telling you why actual gay people find the Florida bill so unacceptable, but generally it's yet another sign of what people here are saying.
I don't think you got more radical on any particular issue, but politics isn't, and hasn't been for a while now, about actual issues. It's about vibes, feelings and identity. And I think there's no denying that you embraced some of the GOP's culture wars since 2020. The Florida bill, even if it doesn't do anything, is a cultural declaration of war on the LGBT community. Why? Because bills who aren't a culture war solve problems, or attempt to solve problems. The Florida bill doesn't address any problem, it aims to create an imagined problem of "groomers" which is a lie meant to incite violence against the LGBT community... It's a declaration of war, just like anti trans bills elsewhere. Ron DeSantis is one of the most explicit culture warriors in the US right now. You supporting it is a heavy participation in culture wars, which you avoided in the past in my experience, rather focusing on actual issues such as economic policy.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2022, 10:13:24 AM »

I won't keep telling you why actual gay people find the Florida bill so unacceptable, but generally it's yet another sign of what people here are saying.
I don't think you got more radical on any particular issue, but politics isn't, and hasn't been for a while now, about actual issues. It's about vibes, feelings and identity. And I think there's no denying that you embraced some of the GOP's culture wars since 2020. The Florida bill, even if it doesn't do anything, is a cultural declaration of war on the LGBT community. Why? Because bills who aren't a culture war solve problems, or attempt to solve problems. The Florida bill doesn't address any problem, it aims to create an imagined problem of "groomers" which is a lie meant to incite violence against the LGBT community... It's a declaration of war, just like anti trans bills elsewhere. Ron DeSantis is one of the most explicit culture warriors in the US right now. You supporting it is a heavy participation in culture wars, which you avoided in the past in my experience, rather focusing on actual issues such as economic policy.

But in many ways too, the economic climate fed into the culture wars. The democratic party economically wise is made of highly educated college professionals, lawyers, and higher education means ( more liberal values ), and more white collar work.

The republican base is made of physical jobs. Manufacturing, skilled trades. Agriculture.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2022, 10:13:50 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2022, 10:19:56 AM by Old School Republican »

Nothing about the Florida bill is reactionary propaganda and what you guys are claiming the bill does is nothing but a lie  . Pretty much everyone I know IRL including democrats support it even more than I do and their only problem is it does not go far enough .

Ron DeSantis has done a lot  on economic policy as well : https://www.flgov.com/2022/05/06/governor-ron-desantis-signs-largest-tax-relief-package-in-floridas-history/

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/341574-occupational-deregulation-awaits-ron-desantis-decision/

Anyway I have always been very consistent of what I thought should be taught or not in public schools and it’s just that stuff like this hasn’t been taught before .

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2022, 10:43:15 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2022, 10:51:11 AM by MS. MERAV MICHEALI »

Nothing about the Florida bill is reactionary propaganda and what you guys are claiming the bill does is nothing but a lie  . Pretty much everyone I know IRL including democrats support it even more than I do and their only problem is it does not go far enough .

Ron DeSantis has done a lot  on economic policy as well : https://www.flgov.com/2022/05/06/governor-ron-desantis-signs-largest-tax-relief-package-in-floridas-history/

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/341574-occupational-deregulation-awaits-ron-desantis-decision/

Anyway I have always been very consistent of what I thought should be taught or not in public schools and it’s just that stuff like this hasn’t been taught before .

I'm not saying Ron DeSantis isn't doing anything else, but he's very actively engaged in culture wars, possibly more than any Governor outside Greg Abbott, and in the past I don't think you'd have supported that.

The "stuff like this hasn't been taught before" part is most revealing- stuff like this is still not taught. You saying this is by itself proof pf the current culture war fueled indoctrination. Gay teachers didn't start sexually explicit descriptions of their love lifes in class since Ron DeSantis decided to declare war before them or since 2020 or since 2016. This just doesn't happen. It's a problem invented by GOP to incite hatred against gay people, as simple as that, and very evidenced by the groomer lie that quickly followed.

What happens and always happened in areas where people aren't homophobic is that gay or lesbian or trans teachers  simply talk about their same sex partners in the same way straight teachers do, which is only when relevant and rarely- and that good teachers of all stripes teach kids not to hate or bully other kids regardless of who they like or how they look. That's what the GOP wants to ban, because they want gay kids to be bullied until they stay in the closet or kill themselves.

And ftr I'm persistent about this only because I care about what you think- I would not be effort posting to convince most atlas conservatives at this point because I don't care much what most of them think Tongue
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2022, 10:46:53 AM »

The "stuff like this hasn't been taught before" part is most revealing- stuff like this is still not taught. You saying this is by itself proof pf the current culture war fueled indoctrination. Gay teachers didn't start sexually explicit descriptions of their love lifes in class since Ron DeSantis decided to declare war before them or since 2020 or since 2016. This just doesn't happen. It's a problem invented by GOP to incite hatred against gay people, as simple as that, and very evidenced by the groomer lie that quickly followed.

What happens and always happened in areas where people aren't homophobic is that gay or lesbian or trans teachers  simply talk about their same sex partners in the same way straight teachers do, which is only when relevant and rarely- and that good teachers of all stripes teach kids not to hate or bully other kids regardless of who they like or how they look. That's what the GOP wants to ban, because they want gay kids to be bullied until they stay in the closet or kill themselves.
This is true, but people have been told many times and it doesn't change their beliefs. Some people aren't interested in the truth.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2022, 10:58:29 AM »

I'm not saying Ron DeSantis isn't doing anything else, but he's very actively engaged in culture wars, possibly more than any Governor outside Greg Abbott, and in the past I don't think you'd have supported that.

The "stuff like this hasn't been taught before" part is most revealing- stuff like this is still not taught. You saying this is by itself proof pf the current culture war fueled indoctrination.

This isn’t true cause I have family and family friends who are teachers and they say this stuff is being taught and same with CRT and all . I would have always supported CRT bans and stuff like the Florida bill cause I don’t think stuff like that should be taught to public schools students at all .

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »

Case in point, this "people who have a different opinion than me are LYING and/or CRAZY!" is not what you were previously known for ever doing before you joined the cultserver and allowed them to rewrite your opinions. The assumption of bad faith is uncalled for.

I can assure you that I have much better things to do than get on here and tell lies, and that other people here aren't doing that either. IF it turns out that our concerns were overblown, it will be because we made an honest mistake, not because of some conspiracy to tell lies, and I think the "old you" would have recognized that.

But we aren't going to turn out to be wrong. We were justified in being suspicious of the motives of the Florida bill. While a [depressingly large] portion of your party has always believed this, it didn't become a mainstream acceptable talking point until DeSantis's staff pushed the "gays are groomers and so are you if you oppose the bill" talking point to get it passed.

On top of that, we've seen stories around the country, including Florida, of gay teachers' jobs in jeopardy simply for their sexual orientation. You are always conspicuously absent from these threads, but they exist, and comparing to the news feeds, only a small portion of them become thread here. If you want to argue that this is an unfortunate but necessary side effect of an overall good bill, be my guest, but have more decency than to just say we're all liars.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »

Case in point, this "people who have a different opinion than me are LYING and/or CRAZY!" is not what you were previously known for ever doing before you joined the cultserver and allowed them to rewrite your opinions. The assumption of bad faith is uncalled for.

I can assure you that I have much better things to do than get on here and tell lies, and that other people here aren't doing that either. IF it turns out that our concerns were overblown, it will be because we made an honest mistake, not because of some conspiracy to tell lies, and I think the "old you" would have recognized that.

But we aren't going to turn out to be wrong. We were justified in being suspicious of the motives of the Florida bill. While a [depressingly large] portion of your party has always believed this, it didn't become a mainstream acceptable talking point until DeSantis's staff pushed the "gays are groomers and so are you if you oppose the bill" talking point to get it passed.

On top of that, we've seen stories around the country, including Florida, of gay teachers' jobs in jeopardy simply for their sexual orientation. You are always conspicuously absent from these threads, but they exist, and comparing to the news feeds, only a small portion of them become thread here. If you want to argue that this is an unfortunate but necessary side effect of an overall good bill, be my guest, but have more decency than to just say we're all liars.

I’m calling the main stream media out for lying about this bill cause they just want to make DeSantis seem as evil as possible.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2022, 12:05:57 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2022, 12:16:56 PM by Hindsight was 2020 »

The bolded part here has been my problem with OSR recently when it comes to thing. He keeps accusing us of lying about the bill but as you mentioned there have been numerous examples on this site alone of gay teachers getting harassed or fired since this bill came along due to their orientation. Hell he and several other posters constantly ducked when I kept bringing up the point the state senator behind the bill supports conversion therapy and when someone tried to rewrite the bill to make it more specific about not teaching sex in school so a gay teacher simply saying they are married to someone of the same sex wouldn’t get fired, the senator rejected it and all but admitted that getting gay teachers fired was the actual intent. So if you are going to duck all this don’t turn around and say we are lying
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2022, 12:09:42 PM »

This isn’t true cause I have family and family friends who are teachers and they say this stuff is being taught and same with CRT and all . I would have always supported CRT bans and stuff like the Florida bill cause I don’t think stuff like that should be taught to public schools students at all .

"This stuff" is an extremely wide definition, and plenty (possibly most) of older people who hear a phrase like "some people have two daddies" or "some boys like other boys" will think it's an extremely sexually deranged phrase (while saying things like "my boy will grow up to be such a heart breaker"). No one is teaching kids about gay sex. This bill os clearly meant to paint gay people as groomers
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2022, 12:12:19 PM »

I’m calling the main stream media out for lying about this bill cause they just want to make DeSantis seem as evil as possible.
Did you even read any of the post past the first paragraph?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies