Who would win a war between these states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:02:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who would win a war between these states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would win a war between these states?  (Read 765 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2022, 11:57:06 AM »

Let's assume that the US consists of 50 independent countries. If these went to war, who would win? Asking based on geography and strategic locations, etc.

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
Kentucky vs. Tennessee
Nebraska vs. Kansas
North Carolina vs. Georgia (for control of South Carolina)
Michigan vs. Ohio
Massachusetts vs. "The New England Alliance" (consisting of the other five states in New England.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 04:09:49 PM »

Let's assume that the US consists of 50 independent countries. If these went to war, who would win? Asking based on geography and strategic locations, etc.

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
Kentucky vs. Tennessee
Nebraska vs. Kansas
Michigan vs. Ohio
Massachusetts vs. "The New England Alliance" (consisting of the other five states in New England.

You know absolutely nothing about history if you think this South Carolina would let this happen

Also South Carolina would win we have nukes also we’re historical batsh*t crazy
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 04:40:10 PM »

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
Kentucky vs. Tennessee
Nebraska vs. Kansas
Michigan vs. Ohio

You know absolutely nothing about history if you think this South Carolina would let this happen

I'm assuming no nukes since those are all federally controlled and the federal government doesn't exist in these scenarios.

Let's imagine there's two governments each declaring to control SC, one backed by North Carolina and the other backed by Georgia.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 04:42:13 PM »

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
Kentucky vs. Tennessee
Nebraska vs. Kansas
Michigan vs. Ohio

I'm assuming no nukes since those are all federally controlled and the federal government doesn't exist in these scenarios.

Let's imagine there's two governments each declaring to control SC, one backed by North Carolina and the other backed by Georgia.

Everyone would loose
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 09:57:54 PM »

The 14 year old edge lord armchair general in me REALLY wants to map a Minnesota vs Wisconsin war now that you mention it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 01:24:34 AM »

I was also thinking about if the Dakotas went to war.

Frankly I don't think South Dakota would have any path to victory. I was thinking about the geography of the Bismarck area and it's not somewhere they could take, it's too easy to dig in and there's so much empty room in the north that North Dakota troops could stage from. Also taking Fargo would be difficult and they couldn't blockade it as long as Minnesota was neutral...same with Grand Forks. So there's the three major population centers right there. And while South Dakota would be most interested in the oil regions, they'd have difficulty getting there especially if ND had air superiority.

Now on the other hand North Dakota could probably blockade off Sioux Falls and Rapid City, although it'd be pretty long. And they could do a blitzkrieg like attack to take the northern cities of SD swiftly. But SD can't take any major areas in ND.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 11:29:37 AM »

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
Kentucky vs. Tennessee
Nebraska vs. Kansas
Michigan vs. Ohio

“South Carolina is too small for a republic, but too large for an insane asylum.” - James Louis Petigru of Charleston in December 1860, is one of my favorite quotes in American history.

But yes, I agree. Don't f*** with South Carolina.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 11:35:06 AM »

The 14 year old edge lord armchair general in me REALLY wants to map a Minnesota vs Wisconsin war now that you mention it.

This is a goofy topic but Minnesota seems to be worse off, given that its capital and much of its population is close to the border.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »

This is a goofy topic but Minnesota seems to be worse off, given that its capital and much of its population is close to the border.
In my war sim I started (which is super inaccurate but more fun than my research project) this is looking to be the case. Wisconsin made the first moves and has made several strategic advances.
However, the one saving grace for MN right now is that the large river border in some areas bought them a bit of time as they were prepared to destroy the infrastructure at a dimes notice thanks to weeks of prep.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 11:52:34 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2022, 12:16:20 PM by lfromnj »

Having more population close to the border is an advantage for mobilization. See Germany vs France in the Franco Prussian war, WW1, and WW2. Yes France did win WW1 but nearly collpased before the Battle of the Marne.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 01:11:14 PM »

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
Kentucky vs. Tennessee
Nebraska vs. Kansas
Michigan vs. Ohio

“South Carolina is too small for a republic, but too large for an insane asylum.” - James Louis Petigru of Charleston in December 1860, is one of my favorite quotes in American history.

But yes, I agree. Don't f*** with South Carolina.

Honestly thought of that quote when writing this. It really should be out state motto.

Also fun fact the first asylum (offices for it now) is still on Bull Street! Though some of them have been torn down to make (presumably haunted) apartments and a baseball field. Still mad they’re called the fireflies and not like the lunatics
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 01:22:58 PM »

My guess for a NC GA war over SC is civil war in all three tbh. The national identity will be very divided especially due to racial tensions and regional polarization at such a high extent. It’s a bad idea and falls into the “f**k around and find out” category. If SC can create some more cohesive identity through shared oppression, ironically they may be the “winners” in some way.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 02:13:28 PM »

My guess for a NC GA war over SC is civil war in all three tbh. The national identity will be very divided especially due to racial tensions and regional polarization at such a high extent. It’s a bad idea and falls into the “f**k around and find out” category. If SC can create some more cohesive identity through shared oppression, ironically they may be the “winners” in some way.

SC arguably has the most identity as it has the most history. Frogmore Stew, She Crab Stew, the Gullah of the Sea Islands, the Germans of the mountains, the many pre-revolutionary war settlements and houses, the Charleston brogue, historical industries in farming, textile, rice, but also plenty and plenty of bad that gives it a cohesion in shared trauma. The post-civil war economic collapse (albeit our own making), the relics of slavery littered across the state, the battering of hurricanes.

If I had to compare SC to any state it would be a mix of Louisiana and Virginia
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 02:28:34 PM »

SC arguably has the most identity as it has the most history. Frogmore Stew, She Crab Stew, the Gullah of the Sea Islands, the Germans of the mountains, the many pre-revolutionary war settlements and houses, the Charleston brogue, historical industries in farming, textile, rice, but also plenty and plenty of bad that gives it a cohesion in shared trauma. The post-civil war economic collapse (albeit our own making), the relics of slavery littered across the state, the battering of hurricanes.

If I had to compare SC to any state it would be a mix of Louisiana and Virginia
Yes but all that diversity can be a negative in unity. SC is not homogenous, that has benefits AND drawbacks.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 10:33:14 AM »

In a Masssachusetts v. the rest of New England, geography would put the 5 other states at a disadvantage because they aren’t contiguous, but those states have a better armed population
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 05:11:22 PM »

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin  Near-equal populations plus MN is more unified and historically well-organized with extremely high civic participation
Kentucky vs. Tennessee  TN has 1.5X the population and a stronger economy, while both states have approximately equally militaristic cultures.
Nebraska vs. Kansas   Higher population and more natural resources, plus somewhat more militaristic culture
North Carolina vs. Georgia (for control of South Carolina)  Way too close to call- is it an urban Atlanta coalition in GA and a rural coalition in NC seeking to annex SC, or the opposite, or something else entirely?  The states have nearly equal populations, similar geography, and similar cultures.
Michigan vs. Ohio  Somewhat higher population + more militaristic culture + more mountainous areas that are hard to attack.  Both have (declining) manufacturing areas
Massachusetts vs. "The New England Alliance" (consisting of the other five states in New England.  This is somewhat close, but I would lean toward MA.  The more high-tech the style of fighting, the more likely they would win.  If it's fought with robots and computer code, they win overwhelmingly.  If it's just a bunch of rifle infantry, they could lose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies