Which GOP Congressman who survived the "wave" will lose in '08?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:22:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which GOP Congressman who survived the "wave" will lose in '08?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which GOP Congressman who survived the "wave" will lose in '08?  (Read 6181 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 09:20:40 PM »

The GOP shouldn't have complete control over the next redistricting, which hopefully means we won't get a montrosity like the current map, and Gerlach can be taken out much easier.

I don't know what the dems could do...a) They don't control the state house, neither chamber...b) there arent many dem wards they could add to PA 06 without severely weakening their hold on adjacent districts, and if they could add parts of PA 07 or 13, those districts might be the marginally republican (but less populated) wards. They might be better off, if they took control, to make that a safe GOP seat until demographics change and consolidate their gains in PA 07, PA 08...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »

The GOP shouldn't have complete control over the next redistricting, which hopefully means we won't get a montrosity like the current map, and Gerlach can be taken out much easier.

I don't know what the dems could do...a) They don't control the state house, neither chamber...b) there arent many dem wards they could add to PA 06 without severely weakening their hold on adjacent districts, and if they could add parts of PA 07 or 13, those districts might be the marginally republican (but less populated) wards. They might be better off, if they took control, to make that a safe GOP seat until demographics change and consolidate their gains in PA 07, PA 08...

I have to agree with that analysis.  Look PA 1 and PA 2 will definitely have to be expanded geographically due to population losses.  Hopefully they don't gobble up the Democratic areas of PA 7 and 13.  I hope there's a Dem governor in 2010 to prevent this from happening.  If I were the Dems in 2010, I would try to make PA 1 and 2 safe, but not overly safe Dem.  We'll probably pull a Maryland where we string Congressional districts out of urban areas to make then safe, but not overly Democratic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »

Still like I said, we got PA 4 (Hart) and PA 8 (Fitzpatrick) in our column and these losses will make it more difficult for the GOP overall statewide.   

Not for long if both of those candidates return.  Wink
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 04:59:40 AM »

Its actually quite easy.  Look to PA-16.  Lois Herr did quite well actually for a no-name opponent, particularly in the Berks and Chester county portions of those districts.  Herr got 45% in the Chester county portion of the district.  Chester went like 52/48 for Bush.  And the more GOP portions of Chester County seem to be in the Gerlach district based on his showing. 

I'd take PA-16 out of Chester and Berks counties entirely.  I'd make PA-07 a Delaware/Chester county only district.  Though the district would probably be a 51/49 district, Sestak should be able to hold it easy and by the time he moves on, it will likely be even more Dem leaning.

I would then take the strongly Dem portions of Montgomery County in PA-07 and add them to PA-06.  I'd also add the Dem-leaning portions of PA-16 in Berks County to PA-06.  I would shrink the Berks County portion of PA-06.   Meanwhile, PA-13 can come out of NE Philly a little to allow for population gain in the two philly based districts. 

This plan also would make it really easy to combine PA-16 and PA-19 to allow for the elimination of a district.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies