"I Am My White Ancestors: Claims the Legacy of Oppression
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:15:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  "I Am My White Ancestors: Claims the Legacy of Oppression
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "I Am My White Ancestors: Claims the Legacy of Oppression  (Read 638 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2022, 08:56:44 PM »

“I am about to turn over a goodly number of acres to cotton and have added more slaves to total 50. They were a large investment with housing and such. … We have heard that some states in the north have gone against nature and profit to prohibit slaves. … Without slaves, where do they expect to get cotton, tobacco, molasses, and rice? … Sometimes I do wonder if the slaves are truly as simple and childlike as some say. When I put some up for sale, I see their mothers stand there and openly weep. Imagine! Perhaps they really do feel as we do. But I banish that thought from my mind. … I am a good and kind master. These African slaves could not survive without me. They are better treated here than in the heathen land they come from. We clothe them and feed them, give them shelter and medical care and the discipline they need They have the benefit of civilized and white society.” —John Salley, 1740-1794, excerpt from audio story about Salley

https://www.yesmagazine.org/social-justice/2019/03/26/i-am-my-white-ancestors-claims-legacy-of-oppression
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:58:17 PM »

This is a bronz threaf
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 08:59:44 PM »

I feel like the joke has gotten a bit old now. Some threads warrant the use of this line, but there's been a lot of overuse of it as of late, and in fairness, I could expect a large number of posters to post a thread like this.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:01:44 PM »

I feel like the joke has gotten a bit old now. Some threads warrant the use of this line, but there's been a lot of overuse of it as of late, and in fairness, I could expect a large number of posters to post a thread like this.

Oppression, White People, and Woke hits all the Bronz targets.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 11:03:34 PM »

Oppression, White People, and Woke hits all the Bronz targets.

True, so it is a Bronzish thread, but it's quite possible a lot of other people could've made this same thread. On the other hand, Bronz Gems are rarer and can come literally only from Bronz. Those are the threads worthy of the line "This is a Bronz threaf." The vast majority don't need it and when someone posts that line, it kind of cheapens it to the point of redundancy (pretty much all threads created by Bronz recently, even more regular/mainstream/typical threads, have been observed to be "Bronz threafs").
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 12:09:08 AM »

Thank you. They don't want to have important and critical discussions. Discuss what I am talking about.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 12:50:39 AM »

Thank you. They don't want to have important and critical discussions. Discuss what I am talking about.

Well, let me just begin by saying the images in that article are disturbing.

Besides, I don't think what your ancestors did is relevant. What YOU do is important. Your ancestors could be racists, they could be slaveholders, and you could be a good, honourable person. You could be an ADOS and also be a terrible person. And it's also racist to suggest that whites necessarily are the descendants of slaveholders or even that only whites are the descendants of slaveholders - many nonwhites also have slaveholding ancestors, and it really doesn't matter if (whether you're black or white) some ancestor of yours centuries back owned slaves. Yes, that's bad, but history cannot be changed and the best thing to do is make sure your own conduct is always good, fair and honourable. Besides which this person seems a little cracked to dress up as random ancestors they had centuries back.

Basically, the article's very title is wrong. You are not your (white or nonwhite; slaveholding, slave or neither) ancestors and should never be defined by them. By defined by your own conduct and actions - not those of your ancestors.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 12:56:32 AM »

Holy sh!t imagine taking a bronz threaf seriously.

Also
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 11:59:29 AM »

Holy sh!t imagine taking a bronz threaf seriously.

Also

In fairness, this is the kind of thread I could expect a lot of woke red avatars (for instance, Ferguson) to make. It is worthy of a response, and Bronz making the thread is really irrelevant, his reputation aside.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 11:32:23 AM »

Besides, I don't think what your ancestors did is relevant. What YOU do is important. Your ancestors could be racists, they could be slaveholders, and you could be a good, honourable person. You could be an ADOS and also be a terrible person. And it's also racist to suggest that whites necessarily are the descendants of slaveholders or even that only whites are the descendants of slaveholders - many nonwhites also have slaveholding ancestors, and it really doesn't matter if (whether you're black or white) some ancestor of yours centuries back owned slaves. Yes, that's bad, but history cannot be changed and the best thing to do is make sure your own conduct is always good, fair and honourable. Besides which this person seems a little cracked to dress up as random ancestors they had centuries back.

Basically, the article's very title is wrong. You are not your (white or nonwhite; slaveholding, slave or neither) ancestors and should never be defined by them. By defined by your own conduct and actions - not those of your ancestors.
Nikole Hannah Jones thinks differently
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 12:25:38 PM »

Nikole Hannah Jones thinks differently

I don't care.
The ultra woke are going to be ultra woke and they aren't going to listen to reason/logic anyway, so there's no point in going there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies