Which is the more progressive religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:44:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which is the more progressive religion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which religion in more progressive?
Christianity

Islam

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Which is the more progressive religion?  (Read 2025 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2022, 09:23:13 PM »

"Progressive religion" is a contraDictio in se.
Sure, for the presentDay vegetating tramps "progress" means not more than more drugs&copulation. But whoever is still able to think freely knows, that "progress" was&is the ideoLogy of the bourgeoisie in order to create a heaven on earth, a regnum hominis - what contradicts all religiosity.

I don’t think you can say this. Regulating society is one of the things that all religions do. When the Mosaic laws were instituted they were an attempt “to create heaven on earth”.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:56 AM »

"Progressive religion" is a contraDictio in se.
Sure, for the presentDay vegetating tramps "progress" means not more than more drugs&copulation. But whoever is still able to think freely knows, that "progress" was&is the ideoLogy of the bourgeoisie in order to create a heaven on earth, a regnum hominis - what contradicts all religiosity.

I don’t think you can say this. Regulating society is one of the things that all religions do. When the Mosaic laws were instituted they were an attempt “to create heaven on earth”.
No, they weren't because the Jews weren't so stupid to expect perfectness and salvation from them, but were still waiting and hoping for the MESSIAH! Let alone, that the latter promised one - how could HE, when HIS public appearance ended in crucification? When HE predicted the rise of the AntiChrist?
ELIOT's "catholic realism" means, that catholicism (and all religion) is "a laughter" (Ps.2) to any imManentism promised by certain cryptoCommunistic sects along with laborRats (COMTE's "positivistical priests"...), left agitators and other bourgeois creatures.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2022, 04:00:11 PM »

When it comes to the New Testament, it does have some dated material in the epistles particularly regarding women and homosexuality, but the fact that it demands the separation of Church and state ("Render unto Caesar . . .") and condemns violence arguably even a little too much makes it much more progressive in the long run than Islam, in my opinion. Islam explicitly justifies action against other people in this life in a way that the Christian scripture simply doesn't, though of course plenty of Christian institutions throughout history have bent it in ways that allow for pretty twisted behavior.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2022, 11:52:00 PM »

GeorgEbner, by "ELIOT" do you mean T.S. or another Eliot?
Georg Ebner
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2022, 05:44:48 AM »

Yes, T.S..
Georg Ebner
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2022, 05:45:23 AM »

Yes, the ELIOT, so T.S..
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2022, 04:16:25 PM »

On a strictly personal level, extremely devout Muslims have generally been far more open to me and my sexuality than equally as devout Christians, if such a comparison can be made.

Do you think that comes from the shared experience of being a minority? I can’t imagine that the average Muslim in a Muslim-majority country is less homophobic than the average Christian in a Christian-majority country.

It's not really about an 'average'. The 'average' Muslim is still quite seriously devout, so it's based on a comparison to similar levels of devotion in Christians, which in Scotland, is a small pool.

Muslims tend not to take on what I tell them about my sexuality as their own business. There's less of a need to performatively 'judge' in my presence. And there's a curious amount of understanding that while not verging on agreement, is fairly accommodating.

The "average" Muslim in Scotland probably is still nowhere near as "devout" as the "average" Muslim in, say, Iran or Saudi Arabia. Go to one of those countries and talk about your sexuality, then see what happens. Then (if somehow you are still alive) try the same thing in the Vatican (I believe the only Christian theocracy left in the world). Then compare.

Also never heard of Christians performing honor killings even in Western countries, including the UK so...

Also there's the fact that Jesus was a pacifist with a radical message of peace, love, and tolerance whereas Muhammad was a violent genocidal child rapist. Kinda hard not to see the differences in how "progressive" the religions would be from the very start.

dude why
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies