If Cruz was the GOP nominee in 2016 and lost to Hillary, would Trump have said, “I would’ve won”?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:41:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Cruz was the GOP nominee in 2016 and lost to Hillary, would Trump have said, “I would’ve won”?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Cruz was the GOP nominee in 2016 and lost to Hillary, would Trump have said, “I would’ve won”?  (Read 741 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2022, 09:05:02 PM »

Would Trump claim that he would’ve won, unlike “Lyin’ Ted”?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 09:08:30 PM »

Would Trump claim that he would’ve won, unlike “Lyin’ Ted”?

Of course. And Cruz likely would've lost to Hillary, I suspect. I'm almost certain that a 2016 Ted Cruz campaign would've been centered around a toxic Bush-era "Jesus wants Sheldon Adelson to be even richer" platform, probably obsessing over gay marriage or stem-cell research for good measure. There still would've been some realignment, but without Trump then Hillary likely would've been forced to run on a platform much more oriented around kitchen table issues rather than the Soul of America stuff.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 09:11:01 PM »

duh?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 09:13:54 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 09:15:04 PM »

why wouldn't he claim that he would've won?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 12:16:11 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2022, 10:18:54 PM by Joe Republic »

Of course he would have, but most people would just roll their eyes at such a ridiculous notion and tell him to be quiet and go away.  The fact that he actually did (technically) beat Hillary just further demonstrates how utterly absurd our timeline is.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 12:21:42 AM »

yeah.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 06:10:29 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2022, 06:15:36 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Hillary was overrated she was supposed to be strongest against Trump than Bernie, as I said before I wanted OMalley and an OMalley and Kaine ticket would have beaten Trump, but Hillary was too laid back and didn't campaign personally in the rust belt she ran ads of course but she wasn't on the ground like she should of been and Benghazi hurt her as well

Just like Wes Clark instead of Edwards should of been Veep I. 2094 OMally should of been Prez in 2016 and if we lose in 22, I don't expect it in the S but if we do, Biden lied about Student Loans Discharge and Booker would have cleared it

Just like Bill Clinton only had a yr left in office and Gore and Lieberman would have been favored if they were the Incumbent, very little defection to Nadar, Established D's cost us SCOTUS MAJORITY FOR A GENERATION

Nadar said that Clinton should of resigned and his supporters would have voted for Gore, as the incumbent, after the fact of course

Yr 2000, OH, NH and FL we're all decided by Nadar votes just like in 2016 MI, PA and WI by Johnson voters and Jill Stein
Waldo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 11:45:32 AM »

Probably, and libs would have laughed at the claim. Trump would have been correct though. I don't really see the point of these hypotheticals.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 01:03:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure you could ask this of any failed primary candidate whose party lost the general, and they'd say yes.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 01:29:05 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2022, 01:39:29 PM by darklordoftech »

I'm pretty sure you could ask this of any failed primary candidate whose party lost the general, and they'd say yes.
I think Trump would be more likely to talk about a primary he lost long after it’s over than anyone else.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 01:38:37 PM »

Yes. Even if Cruz has defeated Hillary in 2016, Trump would have claimed he'd have won by more.
Waldo

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 04:15:38 PM »

I think Trump would be more likely to talk about a primary he lost long after it’s over than anyone else.

So what? He would have been correct. You're trying to slam him for something he would have been right on. That's why the hypothetical doesn't make any sense. You guys are literally making up false realities in order to scoff at somebody you don't like, and don't even realize that even in this false reality, you're on the wrong side of the truth. It's ridiculous.
Pick Up the Phone

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2022, 06:14:57 PM »

Yes, of course. And he would have been wrong.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 06:44:00 PM »

Yes, and he would have been right despite the idea of Trump winning being laughed at everywhere.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2022, 09:59:51 PM »

Certainly
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 10:15:50 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2022, 10:19:54 PM »

Would Romney , Huckabee or most of the Republican candidates have thought they would have won in 2008
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2022, 10:23:42 PM »

Would Romney , Huckabee or most of the Republican candidates have thought they would have won in 2008

I never heard any of them claim that, and I don't think anyone would have realistically believed that given the margin of Obama's substantial win that year.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2022, 10:59:50 PM »

I think the real question is, if Trump had been the Republican nominee in 2016, would he have won?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2022, 08:32:31 AM »

I mean what the sincerely think isn't going to necessarily be what they say. What would they have to gain from saying "yeah, I'd probably lose too"?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2022, 10:09:18 AM »

Yup; and even if Cruz or any GOPer won, Trump would have said "I would have won by a much bigger margin" and "he only won because of endorsement."

The funny things about this is that anyone would have dismissed the claim.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies