Should Kaliningrad be returned to Germany?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Kaliningrad be returned to Germany?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Kaliningrad be returned to Germany?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Should Kaliningrad be returned to Germany?  (Read 2584 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2022, 10:42:20 PM »

Yes, absolutely.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 10:47:12 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2022, 10:50:35 PM by TheReckoning »

Only if Alsace-Lorraine, Prussia, and Sudetenland are returned as well.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 10:57:19 PM »

Once Russia is defeated, it should be offered to Germany. If Germany doesn't want it, then Poland and Lithuania can partition it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 11:08:41 PM »

Hardly any Germans live there. Yes they were expelled, but this is Russian land now. It would be a violation of their self-determination to give them to a country they are so different from.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 11:18:23 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2022, 10:45:13 AM by A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

Only if Alsace-Lorraine, Prussia, and Sudetenland are returned as well.

Fr*nch spy has been detected on German soil. Tactical sauerkraut has been deployed to neutralize this threat.
Logical

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 11:22:32 PM »

Germany doesn't want it. I think the best solution would be independence as the fourth Baltic state.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 11:23:46 PM »

This is absurd, as absurd as Kaliningrad is as is.

Kaliningrad Oblast is a piece of land the size of Connecticut with a million people on it, basically all of whom are Russian. Taking it over will undoubtedly involve expelling a TON of people.

Japan retaking the southern Kurils that they still claim would be two orders of magintude easier, as the population of the Japanese claimed Southern Kurils is only 9,000-12,000 depending on whom you ask. You can imagine Japan offering everyone on the Southern Kurils $50,000 or so to relocate and a lot of people being enthusiastic to take that offer. Lot trickier when the population of the territory is a million.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 03:13:13 AM »

Hardly any Germans live there. Yes they were expelled, but this is Russian land now. It would be a violation of their self-determination to give them to a country they are so different from.
True, but f**k that. We are talking about Russia here. If Ukraine is supposedly a threat to Russia then Kaliningrad most certainly is a threat to its western neighbours. The west continously brings knives to gunfights. Russia threatening to take Crimea and Donbass back in 2014 could probably have been refuted with western threats of taking Kaliningrad in response.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 03:30:10 AM »

Well, I guess Germany doesn't want it and few Germans live there. In addition, I'm not a fan of moving borders just because they once were somewhere else. We're rightfully call Putin out for doing this, so...

However, NATO and the Europeans in particular should counter Russia's ridiculous wishlist about removing American troops from the continent with counter demands, including a withdrawl of Russian nukes from Kaliningrad.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 03:52:23 AM »

Given the depopulation of ethnic Germans after annexation, and replacement with Russians, it’s hard to make the case for annexation in the current system.

Given Kalingrad provides Russia with a strategically useful bit of coastline in the middle of Europe, and allows it to sabre-rattle with the Baltic states it borders, I can’t see any militarily minded Russian leader giving it up.

The conditions to allow its return to Germany, or another of its neighbouring states would thus have to be pretty extreme. If Moscow’s authority collapsed, and we saw a partial break-up of Russian Federation (Oblasts or regions on the edge of the territory declaring independence - see Chechnya, or the post-Soviet states in the early 90s), or the country slid into bankruptcy and full-tilt economic decline, I guess they might jettison Kalingrad as an expensive trinket that was nice to have, but was now impossible to justify the cost of running/controlling.

National pride takes a kicking when you’ve been on the breadline for a while - and in such radical situations, I’d imagine many of the residents would either relish the chance to be part of a more stable nation, or flee back to one of the less-impacted regions of mainland Russia.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 04:05:46 AM »

No, of course not. That sounds like something Putin would do.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2022, 04:31:32 AM »

IIRC the Russians "unofficially" offered it to Germany after the collapse of the USSR.

For the reasons mentioned above, however, these tentative inquiries went no further.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 05:48:16 AM »

True, but f**k that. We are talking about Russia here. If Ukraine is supposedly a threat to Russia then Kaliningrad most certainly is a threat to its western neighbours. The west continously brings knives to gunfights. Russia threatening to take Crimea and Donbass back in 2014 could probably have been refuted with western threats of taking Kaliningrad in response.

Ukraine is a threat to the Russian government because of improvements in its own governance and its move towards the EU. Putin probably felt he could not afford to have a prosperous democracy full of ethnic Russians/Russian speakers on his border, due to what happened to east Germany.

Poland has a problem with PiS, but even there, Kaliningrad isn’t exactly held up as a model of governance. It cannot be a threat in the way Ukraine is.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 05:50:34 AM »

It's not a terrible idea, but it won't happen as it's not practical. If the expulsion of large numbers of ethnic Russians is required, doing so while respecting their human rights is very expensive. It's not morally abhorrent to suggest as Russia is the largest country in the world and has plenty of space for them, but simply forcing them out just isn't something OK to do in the modern world.

The best alternative is making it a neutral independent country, disallowed from making military alliances with Russia and watched closely.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 06:06:12 AM »

It ought to become its own sovereign country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2022, 08:00:10 AM »

Over the long term its future is likely uncertain because the present population is - through a range of different methods* - essentially paid to live there and it is questionable whether this will prove sustainable beyond a certain point, but I do not think that trying to force the issue (in any direction) would be a good idea at present. At all.

But it's maybe worth thinking about that odd place, simply because its population has become used to certain things that people in the rest of Russia have not had access to due to proximity to the comparatively prosperous Baltic economies and an unusually high level of employment with Western firms (see below) and they have suddenly lost them. The place is now shut off again in the way that it was during the Cold War. This may end up having consequences at some point - but domestic ones.

*Not just from the Russian state either: German industrial investment, encouraged in order to foster political stability and to make any awkward questions purely hypothetical, has played a big role there as well.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2022, 09:07:34 AM »

Yes, and Constantinople should be returned to the Greeks.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 09:18:26 AM »

Over the long term its future is likely uncertain because the present population is - through a range of different methods* - essentially paid to live there and it is questionable whether this will prove sustainable beyond a certain point, but I do not think that trying to force the issue (in any direction) would be a good idea at present. At all.

But it's maybe worth thinking about that odd place, simply because its population has become used to certain things that people in the rest of Russia have not had access to due to proximity to the comparatively prosperous Baltic economies and an unusually high level of employment with Western firms (see below) and they have suddenly lost them. The place is now shut off again in the way that it was during the Cold War. This may end up having consequences at some point - but domestic ones.

*Not just from the Russian state either: German industrial investment, encouraged in order to foster political stability and to make any awkward questions purely hypothetical, has played a big role there as well.

I have been very curious how recent events are viewed in Kaliningrad; much more curious than I am how they are viewed in Moscow or St. Petersburg, which get reported on a lot more.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 09:57:17 AM »

In case you didn't know, Moscow offered Germany negotiations about East Prussia in the course of the Two-Plus-Four talks, but Kohl decline with thanks.

The Two-Plus-Four Agreement stipulates that the Oder-Neisse line be the boundary line between Poland and Germany, thus expelling Königsberg.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2022, 10:01:32 AM »

In case you didn't know, Moscow offered Germany negotiations about East Prussia in the course of the Two-Plus-Four talks, but Kohl decline with thanks.

The Two-Plus-Four Agreement stipulates that the Oder-Neisse line be the boundary line between Poland and Germany, thus expelling Königsberg.

Interesting. Was there no move by Germany to take back some territory from Poland? I think it would have been a better deal for Kaliningrad to become part of Poland while the city of Danzig is returned to Germany.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2022, 11:30:51 AM »

I have been very curious how recent events are viewed in Kaliningrad; much more curious than I am how they are viewed in Moscow or St. Petersburg, which get reported on a lot more.

There have certainly been a few fair sized anti-war protests there.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2022, 02:02:18 PM »

No, it should be given its independence at the 4th Baltic state. It will be a nation of (mostly) ethnic Russians who speak Russian, but it will not be a part of Russia. It would be like a Russian Austria, I suppose? Ideally, it would become a place where any Russian can flee to escape the authoritarian Putin regime.

I don't know what the name for the country should or even would be. Neither Kaliningrad or East Prussia work. I'm sure there's some historic name that could be used. The river that flows through the middle of the region and Kaliningrad itself is the Pregola/Pregoyla. Maybe that could work?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2022, 02:05:05 PM »

I would be happy enough with Kaliningrad being demilitarized.  Other than that, I am not exactly clamoring for it to be divvied up among neighboring NATO members. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »

I don't know what the name for the country should or even would be. Neither Kaliningrad or East Prussia work. I'm sure there's some historic name that could be used. The river that flows through the middle of the region and Kaliningrad itself is the Pregola/Pregoyla. Maybe that could work?

The historical name, before the incorporation into various German polities, was just Prussia ('Prusa' in the extinct Old Prussian language). Which is not very helpful as far as your suggestion is concerned, and, anyway, half of that area is in Poland now. I suppose Sambia or Samland (the name for the central peninsula) might do.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2022, 02:35:13 PM »

Maybe after the Western proxy army in Ukraine finishes beating Russia's ass they can liberate Belarus and then conquer Kaliningrad and return it to NATO hands.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies