Petition to the Atlas Senators
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:54:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition to the Atlas Senators
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Petition to the Atlas Senators  (Read 2569 times)
Justin
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2004, 01:12:29 PM »

As a right guaranteed under the Atlas Constitution, I hereby make the following Petition. It is adressed to all members of the Senate who are interested. It Reads:

To the Honorable Members of the Senate,
I have an idea which will make the Presidency more accountable to the people and to the Legislature. I Think that there should be either a bill or constitutional amendment that forces the President to take questions every week or few days from the legislature. This idea is moddled after the Prime Minister's question period used in Parliaments throughout the world. If we have a fixed Questions Time,  the public at large will know what the President is doing and what he should be doing. I hope that at least one of the Honorable Senators takes up my idea. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely
Justin
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 01:13:27 PM »

President Nym used to have a weekly press conference where he took questions from forum members...I'm not sure what happened to that, but it would be nice to bring it back.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 01:43:40 PM »

I like that idea very much.  I hereby sign the petition.

Senator StevenNick
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »

I like that idea very much.  I hereby sign the petition.

Senator StevenNick

You're a Senator, why don't you just propose the bill?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 01:56:32 PM »

President Nym used to have a weekly press conference where he took questions from forum members...I'm not sure what happened to that, but it would be nice to bring it back.

The President is also required by the constitution to make a speech to Congress every month *cough**cough*. Forgot about that did we Nummy? Wink
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 01:57:32 PM »

I don't know if I really think we need a bill to accomplish this.  I'm sure if enough of us sign the petition Gustaf will get the idea and take this up on his own accord.
Justin
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 02:37:14 PM »

I don't know if I really think we need a bill to accomplish this.  I'm sure if enough of us sign the petition Gustaf will get the idea and take this up on his own accord.
A Bill would however force him to comply and set a precedent for future Presidents down the line.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 04:51:38 PM »

I agree with Steven, no bill is necessary.

I believe one of the biggest shortcomings of the washington system, and biggest benefits of the westminster system, is the ability to ask the leader questions.

Whilst I think the President should answer questions, daly, it won't happen. Gustaf should be able to be asked a question at any time, however, so I suggest he create a sticky threa where people can ask him any question. I know we are trying to reduce stickies, but this is fundamentally important to an open and accountable democracy.

I appreciate your interest Justin, and hope you continue to support the idea of open democracy where the government, media and people can ask questions of the President, both on the forum and in real life.
Justin
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 05:01:40 PM »

I agree with Steven, no bill is necessary.

I believe one of the biggest shortcomings of the washington system, and biggest benefits of the westminster system, is the ability to ask the leader questions.

Whilst I think the President should answer questions, daly, it won't happen. Gustaf should be able to be asked a question at any time, however, so I suggest he create a sticky threa where people can ask him any question. I know we are trying to reduce stickies, but this is fundamentally important to an open and accountable democracy.

I appreciate your interest Justin, and hope you continue to support the idea of open democracy where the government, media and people can ask questions of the President, both on the forum and in real life.
I see. Will this follow the Westminster Style format, (ie Adressing the President through the President of the Senate, Question #1, etc) As part of the populist/Conservative/ Reform wing of the UAC, it is my duty to make sure we have fair and free government.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 05:14:09 PM »

It died out due to lack of interest. After 2 consecutive weekly conferences with no questions, I decided not to continue doing it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 05:16:20 PM »

The President is also required by the constitution to make a speech to Congress every month *cough**cough*. Forgot about that did we Nummy? Wink

I would have, but you (just recently) are the first to ever bring it up. There seemed to be no demand. I hadn't even noticed it in the Constitution myself until you pointed it out.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 05:17:46 PM »

As a right guaranteed under the Atlas Constitution, I hereby make the following Petition. It is adressed to all members of the Senate who are interested. It Reads:

I have an idea which will make the Presidency more accountable to the people and to the Legislature. I Think that there should be either a bill or constitutional amendment that forces the President to take questions every week or few days from the legislature. This idea is moddled after the Prime Minister's question period used in Parliaments throughout the world. If we have a fixed Questions Time,  the public at large will know what the President is doing and what he should be doing. I hope that at least one of the Honorable Senators takes up my idea. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely
Justin

See, Canada just makes sense. Wink

I think this should be more like a Press Conference and less like Oral Questions however. Average citizens should get a word in edge wise.

Siege
Justin
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »

Sincerely
Justin

See, Canada just makes sense. Wink

I think this should be more like a Press Conference and less like Oral Questions however. Average citizens should get a word in edge wise.

Siege
Actually It was not Canada that got me thinking about President's Questions, but rather 2 other places.
1. I was watching the UK's PM Question period online
2. I was reading this model Parliament Forum. http://www.politicsuk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101

You may be right, however a thread designated to President's Questions would be kind of interesting anyhow.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 05:38:44 PM »

I support the idea of having a sticky thread for questions, although really anyone can ask a question any time in a normal thread, this sticky thread may make it easier to sort out the President's answers.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 06:20:25 PM »

Fair enough...I'll let you debate this and I trust the senate to come up with a good model. Smiley Accountability is a centre piece of democracy.
Justin
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 07:03:31 PM »

I'm glad to hear that the President approves of this petition. Smiley
Justin
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2004, 09:08:36 PM »

So do we agree to this petition?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »