Airbnb ban users located in Russia, but is this legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:49:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Airbnb ban users located in Russia, but is this legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Airbnb ban users located in Russia, but is this legal?  (Read 170 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2022, 10:37:57 AM »
« edited: April 06, 2022, 10:48:51 AM by David Hume »

“Guests located in Russia or Belarus will not be able to make new reservations on Airbnb.”

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3211/suspension-of-airbnb-operations-in-russia-and-belarus

Say I am a US citizen with Russian origin and currently living in Russia. I want to visit Georgia, but find out I cannot book a stay there. Can I sue the company for discrimination?

I understand that US do not have jurisdictions in Russia. But if a US company discriminates a US citizen since he is based in Russia, and the act of discrimination happened in US, where the company is operating from, I am not sure if CRA applies here.

"All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

In this case, US citizens with Russian origin are disproportionally affected.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »

Upon reflection, a company can completely discontinue service in some market, just like a hotel chain can close all hotels in areas with 95% black population, simply as a business decision. So Airbnb should be fine in this case.

What is not OK is if they ban Russian citizens living in US from using their service.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies