Ron DeSantis mad at Disney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 01:00:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron DeSantis mad at Disney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Ron DeSantis mad at Disney  (Read 4515 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2022, 07:06:53 PM »

Nobody is saying kids have to internally take and believe everything their religious house of worship says though. Just that they can’t be given legal protections against having to attend which of course would be ridiculous and would basically be the government taking the job of parenting away from parents

That's not "taking the job away" lol, it's literally just you can't force your kid to go to church. I really don't see why this is so unreasonable to suggest that kids should have the religious freedom guaranteed in the 1A.

And I can think of no better way to make your kid resent your church/religion than forcing them to attend a service on a weekly basis against their wishes.

Is it child abuse to make your child go to school on a daily basis against their wishes? Is it child abuse to make your child go to the doctor's office against their wishes?
Is it child abuse to lock your children in a basement full of mirrors so you can see how it impacts their development?
Checkmate liberal.

OK, that actually made me laugh.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2022, 08:39:27 PM »

One of the job of a parent is to instill their values into their kids and religion is a good way to help with that.

What if the kid disagrees with the religion? Don't they have a right to freedom of thought?

They can leave it once the turn 18 but not before that . Parents have many legal responsibilities for their kids and yes kids don’t have the same individual rights adults do
They should be allowed to leave it before 18
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2022, 09:13:48 PM »

One of the job of a parent is to instill their values into their kids and religion is a good way to help with that.

What if the kid disagrees with the religion? Don't they have a right to freedom of thought?

They can leave it once the turn 18 but not before that . Parents have many legal responsibilities for their kids and yes kids don’t have the same individual rights adults do
Did it ever occur to you that allowing parents to force their LGBTQ kids to go to homophobic churches every Sunday might be a contributing factor to a lot of these kids hating themselves, some of that group self-harming and then some of THAT group commiting suicide? What about forcing kids to go to these churches where priests are molesting kids? Did it occur to you that it could have negative consequences?

I understand that you shouldn't leave younger kids unattended, but surely high school kids can safely exist without a parent for 2 hours while mom and dad go pray to the sky god and listen to homophobic sermons.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2022, 09:21:59 PM »

Did it ever occur to you that allowing parents to force their LGBTQ kids to go to homophobic churches every Sunday might be a contributing factor to a lot of these kids hating themselves, some of that group self-harming and then some of THAT group commiting suicide? What about forcing kids to go to these churches where priests are molesting kids? Did it occur to you that it could have negative consequences?

I understand that you shouldn't leave younger kids unattended, but surely high school kids can safely exist without a parent for 2 hours while mom and dad go pray to the sky god and listen to homophobic sermons.

Not to say that there are welcoming christian denominations ( Much to Conservative Christians's chagrin ).

Episcopal Church, United Church of Christ, mostly mainline churches.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2022, 01:55:35 AM »

Florida teacher taking the GOP at their word:
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2022, 02:10:37 AM »

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2022, 06:31:55 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2022, 06:35:09 AM by fhtagn (unbanned/unbannedself): Free from the Gulag edition »

Did it ever occur to you that allowing parents to force their kids to go to school where kids are bullied every day, might be a contributing factor leading to a lot of kids hating themselves, some of that group self harming and then some of THAT group committing suicide? What about forcing these kids to go to these schools where teachers, coaches, and even other students are molesting kids? Did it occur to you that it could have negative consequences?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2022, 01:18:37 PM »

The bill itself is not that terrible but that's almost besides the point here. DeSantis is baiting Dems into calling him a bigot in order to fuel the culture war and it's definitely working politically speaking even if said tactics are extremely divisive.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »

Honestly dude , our values are so unlike that there is no way in hell you will ever be able to convince me on these types of issues . In fact the more you post the more I dislike  social progressivism and if they ever were implemented truly would be a calamity for society.

Do you think that you're a good ambassador for your values? You consistently demonstrate that you're not a serious person by advocating for nonsense like abstinence only education, and when confronted with evidence that it is ineffective - you just refuse to acknowledge it.

Every time you try and talk about stuff like critical race theory, sex education, or basically anything related to schooling - you just come across as someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Just regurgitating Fox News talking points.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2022, 03:04:44 PM »

Honestly dude , our values are so unlike that there is no way in hell you will ever be able to convince me on these types of issues . In fact the more you post the more I dislike  social progressivism and if they ever were implemented truly would be a calamity for society.

Do you think that you're a good ambassador for your values? You consistently demonstrate that you're not a serious person by advocating for nonsense like abstinence only education, and when confronted with evidence that it is ineffective - you just refuse to acknowledge it.

Every time you try and talk about stuff like critical race theory, sex education, or basically anything related to schooling - you just come across as someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Just regurgitating Fox News talking points.

You are the one who wants government to decide what is or what isn’t good for kids more than their parents . That in my opinion is an extremely deplorable and frankly communist Postion that I am glad I do not have similar values tk you at all Z

BTW my opinion on sex education didn’t come from Fox News it came from family and family friends who complained big time to us when we were taught in schools and actually didn’t think it should be taught at all . My views on this is actually liberal compared to my parents and their friends
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2022, 03:56:06 PM »

The bill itself is not that terrible

Yes it is. Stop joining in the Republican gaslighting.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »

Sorry, snowflakes, but your personal beliefs regarding the morality of sex ed or lack thereof are really neither here nor there. Again, your children are individual people, not extensions of yourselves. Society has an interest in making sure that they don't grow up hating themselves or others for their sexual orientation and that they are equipped to navigate the world adequately. If your ideas are so sound and persuasive, you should have faith that your children will come to agree with you on their own without your needing to psychologically manipulate them into doing so. Furthermore, there is zero legal or moral reason why the state should be made into your accomplice in this manipulation.

(This is something that has always confused me about people who proclaim to live their lives in accordance with "faith" and then turn around and force it on their children. Pushing your religion on your child without any alternatives is a mockery and perversion of faith. The "values" of an indoctrinated and isolated child are to true religious faith as the frightened obedience of a North Korean is to genuine patriotism.)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2022, 04:22:17 PM »

That in my opinion is an extremely deplorable and frankly communist Postion

…what do you think communism is?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2022, 04:25:50 PM »

Communist governments literally decided how parents should raise their kids for  the parents just like you want to do . It was part of their cultural revolutions
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2022, 04:41:41 PM »

Communist governments literally decided how parents should raise their kids for  the parents just like you want to do . It was part of their cultural revolutions

What???
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2022, 04:46:33 PM »

Historians agree that Mao’s Cultural Revolution was characterized chiefly by the lack of parental input on secondary school curriculum and by the remarkable freedom afforded to intellectuals and teachers to speak openly about homosexuality
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2022, 04:50:45 PM »

What???

Speaking from experience as a child of refugees from a Communist Country, the thought process is that the State, the evil marxist state is how to control the schools, destroying religion, tradition,
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2022, 12:28:43 AM »

Did it ever occur to you that allowing parents to force their kids to go to school where kids are bullied every day, might be a contributing factor leading to a lot of kids hating themselves, some of that group self harming and then some of THAT group committing suicide? What about forcing these kids to go to these schools where teachers, coaches, and even other students are molesting kids? Did it occur to you that it could have negative consequences?
What kinds of kids are being bullied and molested at what kinds of schools? What are you referencing and how is it relevant to the conversation?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2022, 12:34:21 AM »

Communism is not a generic word for everything you don't like. The Soviet Union tended to be rather conservative on several social issues even though atheism was the law. Homosexuality was prosecuted in the Soviet Union so people who think communism was all that liberal are quite wrong. Even though religion was not allowed there were still socially conservative principles pushed by communist governments. Modern conservatives would have actually been very content with Soviet policy on homosexuality.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2022, 01:27:06 AM »

"Anything bad".
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2022, 03:27:45 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2022, 03:34:50 AM by Old School Republican »

Communism is not a generic word for everything you don't like. The Soviet Union tended to be rather conservative on several social issues even though atheism was the law. Homosexuality was prosecuted in the Soviet Union so people who think communism was all that liberal are quite wrong. Even though religion was not allowed there were still socially conservative principles pushed by communist governments. Modern conservatives would have actually been very content with Soviet policy on homosexuality.

You cannot be socially conservative while being anywhere near how anti religious the USSR was.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2022, 03:33:04 AM »

Anyway Communism is just not an economic system , like many leftists claim it is. It yes is about destroying every traditional structure that exists in society from the economic system to religion to the family to make sure the state controls every aspect of your life .

In fact cultural revolutions that took place in the USSR and China were just as integral to the communist system as whatever economic system they had in place.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2022, 04:06:17 AM »

Anyway Communism is just not an economic system , like many leftists claim it is. It yes is about destroying every traditional structure that exists in society from the economic system to religion to the family to make sure the state controls every aspect of your life .

In fact cultural revolutions that took place in the USSR and China were just as integral to the communist system as whatever economic system they had in place.

I'd say it's an economic utopia. While I don't agree with most of them, Marx invented a bunch of interesting ideas how to solve inequality and empower workers. However, in the 20th century, several horrible crimes were committed in the name of communism that had little to do with empowering anyone but a small power elite that sought to suppress anyone not 100% in line.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2022, 09:57:34 AM »

What kinds of kids are being bullied and molested at what kinds of schools? What are you referencing and how is it relevant to the conversation?

Apparently f*** and trannies molest  Kids in school on a regular basis because, well, everyone knows that's just what they do ofc. Roll Eyes
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »

I'd say it's an economic utopia. While I don't agree with most of them, Marx invented a bunch of interesting ideas how to solve inequality and empower workers. However, in the 20th century, several horrible crimes were committed in the name of communism that had little to do with empowering anyone but a small power elite that sought to suppress anyone not 100% in line.

Marx isn't just ideas about how markets can (and will) change, he did a lot of groundbreaking analysis on how economies work. And he highlights very real flaws in the capitalist approach. I think that's why he's so hated in some places - not because of the (equally real) disasters of attempted implementations of communism, but because he called out in advance the failures and abuses of capitalism. And we're living with those failures and abuses right now, but there are a lot of people who would rather refuse to acknowledge them, so they scream about communism as a coping mechanism.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies