Ukraine foreign minister wants other countries to criminalize use of the letter 'Z'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:23:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine foreign minister wants other countries to criminalize use of the letter 'Z'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ukraine foreign minister wants other countries to criminalize use of the letter 'Z'  (Read 846 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2022, 04:18:05 PM »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/z-symbol-ukraine-war-putin-dmytro-kuleba-b991125.html
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 08:00:37 PM »

Volodymyr (inks)elenskyy
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 10:08:14 PM »

Appius Claudius Caecus of Ancient Rome didn't like Z either, so he got rid of it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:48:34 PM »

Did you not read the full article, the symbol z, not the letter lmao.

Regardless this is lolworthy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 11:15:44 PM »

There are always lots of deranged takes on all sides in a pitched interstate war. I see this as the stupid man's equivalent of the reports of Ukrainian soldiers abusing Russian POWs. What Kuleba has to say about the letter Z doesn't affect the big-picture right and wrong of this war, but it should be addressed on its own for the ridiculous and frivolous demand that it is.
urutzizu
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 01:24:01 AM »

https://www.twitter.com/BMI_Bund/status/1508443796802965504

Federal Ministry of the Interior: The Russian war of aggression against the #Ukraine is a criminal offense. Anyone who publicly approves of this war of aggression may be liable for prosecution. This also applies to showing the " #Z " symbol. Federal security services are watching the use of the symbol.

It is being banned as a symbol (as noted above, obviously, not as a letter) to support the war of aggression under § 140 StGB by many Federal States as well. Means up to three years in jail. And of course it is a reasonable thing to do, because any form of showing support for an illegal war of aggression that is in effect waged not just against Ukraine but against Europe as a whole, amounts to sedition and is also literally expressing support for a crime. I am very happy with the direction this country has gone in the last 30 days.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 01:30:53 AM »

Are they going to ban Garfield?

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 01:46:47 AM »

I mean, it is a hate symbol at this point, but hate speech is speech.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 04:34:06 AM »

I knew Garfield was in cahoots with Putin! I just knew it!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 06:37:20 AM »

Yeah, the kindest thing I can say is that it sort of misses the wood for the trees.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 07:48:35 AM »

https://www.twitter.com/BMI_Bund/status/1508443796802965504

Federal Ministry of the Interior: The Russian war of aggression against the #Ukraine is a criminal offense. Anyone who publicly approves of this war of aggression may be liable for prosecution. This also applies to showing the " #Z " symbol. Federal security services are watching the use of the symbol.

It is being banned as a symbol (as noted above, obviously, not as a letter) to support the war of aggression under § 140 StGB by many Federal States as well. Means up to three years in jail. And of course it is a reasonable thing to do, because any form of showing support for an illegal war of aggression that is in effect waged not just against Ukraine but against Europe as a whole, amounts to sedition and is also literally expressing support for a crime. I am very happy with the direction this country has gone in the last 30 days.

The idea that one can commit sedition against the abstract concept of "Europe" is deeply disturbing. Last I checked, Germany was not at war.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 08:52:54 AM »

The idea that one can commit sedition against the abstract concept of "Europe" is deeply disturbing. Last I checked, Germany was not at war.

A technicality at best, at this point. Russia has carried out extrajudicial killings and God knows what else on our territory.

Strictly speaking, "sedition against Europe" isn't illegal though, that was just urutzizu's personal opinion. Section 140 of the German Criminal Code however criminalizes certain actvities "causing a disturbance of the public peace". Specifically, Section 140 outlaws disturbing the public peace by expressing public approval of those crimes that are referred to in Section 126, subsection 1 of the Criminal Code. The crimes listed under Section 126 include "... genocide (section 6 of the Code of Crimes against International Law) or a crime against humanity (section 7 of the Code of Crimes against International Law) or a war crime (section 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 of the Code of Crimes against International Law) ..."

The acts of disturbing the public peace in this specific case would be the increasing number of instances where cars of recently arrived Ukrainian refugess have been painted with big white friendly "Z" symbols (presumably by Russians or Putin sympathizers), among other things.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 01:21:29 PM »

A technicality at best, at this point. Russia has carried out extrajudicial killings and God knows what else on our territory.

Strictly speaking, "sedition against Europe" isn't illegal though, that was just urutzizu's personal opinion. Section 140 of the German Criminal Code however criminalizes certain actvities "causing a disturbance of the public peace". Specifically, Section 140 outlaws disturbing the public peace by expressing public approval of those crimes that are referred to in Section 126, subsection 1 of the Criminal Code. The crimes listed under Section 126 include "... genocide (section 6 of the Code of Crimes against International Law) or a crime against humanity (section 7 of the Code of Crimes against International Law) or a war crime (section 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 of the Code of Crimes against International Law) ..."

The acts of disturbing the public peace in this specific case would be the increasing number of instances where cars of recently arrived Ukrainian refugess have been painted with big white friendly "Z" symbols (presumably by Russians or Putin sympathizers), among other things.

It is most certainly not just a technicality! When it comes to civil liberties, I cannot think of anything more important than the distinction between war and not-war. I spent my whole childhood going through this with the "War on Terror". Radical Islamic terrorists carried out extrajudicial killings and God knows what else on my country's territory. That did not mean that it would have been acceptable to limit freedom of speech. The suspension of civil liberties is an awful thing not to be embarked upon lightly, but it may be justifiable in cases of war. It is absolutely not justifiable in cases that are basically war, because the government can always come up with such a situation and then the are no civil liberties left.

In any case, yes, it is urutzizu's personal opinion that I find disturbing here. I am uncomfortable with the notion of sedition as a crime, as should anyone who values freedom of speech and is familiar with the way that sedition laws have been used around the world, but its definition has always been quite clear: it is an offense against the state. If the expansive definition of sedition offered here (as an offense not necessarily against the state but potentially simply against a concept) has any sort of support among the German public, then that is, again, deeply disturbing.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 01:34:53 PM »

It is most certainly not just a technicality! When it comes to civil liberties, I cannot think of anything more important than the distinction between war and not-war. I spent my whole childhood going through this with the "War on Terror". Radical Islamic terrorists carried out extrajudicial killings and God knows what else on my country's territory. That did not mean that it would have been acceptable to limit freedom of speech. The suspension of civil liberties is an awful thing not to be embarked upon lightly, but it may be justifiable in cases of war. It is absolutely not justifiable in cases that are basically war, because the government can always come up with such a situation and then the are no civil liberties left.

In any case, yes, it is urutzizu's personal opinion that I find disturbing here. I am uncomfortable with the notion of sedition as a crime, as should anyone who values freedom of speech and is familiar with the way that sedition laws have been used around the world, but its definition has always been quite clear: it is an offense against the state. If the expansive definition of sedition offered here (as an offense not necessarily against the state but potentially simply against a concept) has any sort of support among the German public, then that is, again, deeply disturbing.

Be it as it may, it's the law of the land. Nobody has proposed any new rules, it's an enforcement of existing ones that would probably be upheld by the courts as constitutional under Article 5, section 2 of the Basic Law.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 06:55:19 PM »

I'm actually okay with that.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2022, 11:30:53 PM »

lmao

"let's criminalize a letter of the alphabet!"
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2022, 11:43:53 PM »

lmao

Ukraine foreign minister: criminalize the letter Z
Me: I sleep *zzzzzzzzzzzzz*
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2022, 11:52:07 PM »

In Germany, Ζ has become the new 卐

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 11:54:26 PM »

In Germany, Ζ has become the new 卐

A lot of virtue signaling from a country paying Russia $670 million a day for fossil fuels.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 11:57:46 PM »

lmao

Ukraine foreign minister: criminalize the letter Z
Me: I sleep *zzzzzzzzzzzzz*

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2022, 05:36:10 AM »

"Look up Operation Gladio" - sounds totally normal and not a fringe conspiracist in any way.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2022, 10:59:35 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies