If an official dies after being impeached, does that bar the Senate from holding a trial?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:17:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If an official dies after being impeached, does that bar the Senate from holding a trial?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If an official dies after being impeached, does that bar the Senate from holding a trial?  (Read 536 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2022, 12:34:27 AM »

Topic
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 09:14:57 AM »

I'd assume so the same way there's no trial held for someone who is indicted but dies before trial begins.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 11:26:52 PM »

The sole penalty for impeachment is removal from office (and possible future disqualification); death already serves to remove the individual from office and disqualify him from holding future offices, so I'm not sure how or why you would proceed with a trial.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 07:03:13 PM »

The sole penalty for impeachment is removal from office (and possible future disqualification); death already serves to remove the individual from office and disqualify him from holding future offices, so I'm not sure how or why you would proceed with a trial.

There would be nothing to prevent Congress from doing this, although it would be blatantly political and pointless. 

It's kind of like the Chief Justice presiding over the Senate.  If the Senators don't like the Chief Justice's ruling they can vote to overrule it.  Impeachment and Removal Trials are purely political proceedings.  Period.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 11:52:40 PM »

Trump's trial was held after he was already out of office, so I don't see why death would be any different from finishing a term. Reminder that barring someone from office is separate from convicting them.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 12:19:24 AM »

Trump's trial was held after he was already out of office, so I don't see why death would be any different from finishing a term. Reminder that barring someone from office is separate from convicting them.

If they are dead what is the point of holding a trial to see if they should be barred from office or not.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 07:47:21 PM »

If they are dead what is the point of holding a trial to see if they should be barred from office or not.

The Congress could hold such a hearing.  It wouldn't actually be a trial, but it could be a fact-finding hearing with testimony.  There would, however, have to be a defined LEGISLATIVE purpose behind it.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 12:10:16 PM »

I would think that the Senate could complete the process if they have already started, but it would be completely pointless.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »

I didn't say there would be a point, I'm just saying it's probably constitutional to do it.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 07:17:15 PM »

I think this would probably be ruled unconstitutional.

It is not constitutional to try a dead person for a criminal offense in the US, because a defendant has a constitutional right to confront their accusers, and a dead person cannot do this.

Of course, not all rights that apply to criminal trial apply to impeachment trials.  So the answer to this is not obvious.  But if I had to guess, I think the Supreme Court would hold that the right to mount a defense is substantively fundamental enough to the concept of a “trial” that it would apply to impeachment trials as well.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 12:11:27 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2022, 05:29:49 PM by brucejoel99 »

I would think that the Senate could complete the process if they have already started, but it would be completely pointless.

I think they could "complete the process" procedurally insofar as passing a motion to dismiss with the proceedings on account of mootness by voice vote, but other than that, there's really no need, politically, constitutionally, or legally speaking, unless the House & at least a Senate majority's (in this instance) sole goal is to trash a dead person lol
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies