Vote today!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:08:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vote today!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vote today!  (Read 661 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2006, 07:57:29 AM »

It took me 45 minutes to vote this morning, when it usually only takes 5-10 minutes.  That is either a good sign or a bad sign.  Observations of the day:

- We have switched to the new Sequoia voting systems with the touch screens.  There is a paper trail (though we've always had a paper trail, even with the Diebold systems), so that isn't an issue if the storms we have later today get worse.  However, the lady heading up the polling station said the after-hours paperwork isn't any faster compared to our old lever-activated voting booths.  Additionally, we only had four voting machines, so maybe that added to the delay.

- There we only two people standing out front of the polling station holding voting material and neither of them offered me any of their literature.  One of them was a guy set up at a democratic table, and the gal did not seem to be affiliated with either of the two parties (at least not that was visible).

- Speaking of literature, this was the first time that there were not sample voting screens posted on the walls so people could be familiar with the appearance of the computer screens.  Also, the text for the various amendments and funding measures were not posted either.  Very unusual for one of our elections.

- Of the approximately 70 people at the polling station waiting in line to vote, no one was turned away for not having the proper ID, but then again that's never really been an issue in Virginia.

- While walking out of the polling station, I heard more people discussing the amendment to allow churches in Virginia to incorporate rather than any other option or candidate on the ballot.  About four years ago the issue was on the ballot as a legal measure (which was passed), but was struck down by the court due to the restriction in our Constitution.  The amendment will fix that.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.  Share your voting day observations here.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:29:57 AM »

Rural Alva, Oklahoma.

I got to the precinct at 6:30, even though the polls didn't open until 7:00.  We had a lot of races and 4 state questions.  I was the first one in line behind the three poll workers, one of whom voted on Friday.  It took me a total of 2 minutes to vote and get back out to the car.

They are expecting a higher voter turnout than in 2002 in rural Alva, Oklahoma as well as across the country.  They set up 6 polling booths, when the norm is 4.  We have the traditional paper ballot (probably the most secure) that completes the arrows.

By the way, I had planned as late as 6:58 this morning to vote for 11 Democrats and 1 Republican, but at 7:00 I changed my mind to 12 Democrats.  That includes all down-ballot offices, Governor, LG, and OK-3.

Thats the scoop from Northwest Oklahoma
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:30:18 AM »

There are 4 regular choices on the ballot where I go to vote.
Senator, House, state Senator, State House
and on irregular lieutenant/governor package
which doesn't make sense (why they do it that way)
how many states do that???

of four of those choices there are three options d,r or write in

there is one Green on the ballot where I go to vote

there is a y/n question also

you can't actual write in.. it is now electronic.. you 'type in' if you want another alternative to D,R
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 09:45:34 AM »

Will do - though I'm not registered in the area I live in at the moment, so I've got to go all the way through Atlanta to vote in my old precinct and then back up again. Fortunately we get two hours off to go vote, so I should be able to avoid the traffic. Still, seems an awful lot of work to go vote for Libertarians who won't win, lol.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 10:16:07 AM »

Normal People vote today...hardcore liberals and conservatives...vote tomorrow.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 11:31:27 AM »

Voted at 9:30 this morning. Very fast... no lines... took much longer to sign in than to vote the four races and one proposition. Total time: 5 minutes. I was number 252.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 11:44:29 AM »

Voted at 9:30 this morning. Very fast... no lines... took much longer to sign in than to vote the four races and one proposition. Total time: 5 minutes. I was number 252.

I was number 33.  The best I've been has been number 5.  One of these days I'll be number 1!!!  Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 12:51:45 PM »

Just got back from voting.  It was pretty empty this time of day, there was only one person in the booth ahead of me.  The woman said I was number 97, which isn't that much of a big deal either way I suppose.  A lot of people vote after they get home from work, the polls are open till 9pm.

I voted straight Republican, except for US Senate, where I voted for the Libertarian candidate instead.  I don't really care for the Republican, and it's not like Clinton is going to lose anyway.  I was tempted to vote Democrat for House too, because I'm a bit lukewarm about the Republican candidate in my district, but I figured he's better than Bishop and there was no Libertarian alternative.  (I checked)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 01:31:11 PM »

Voted absentee a week or so ago...not that any of the races were interesting or that any of the candidates in the statewide races deserved my vote.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 09:57:48 PM »

I had a "second" polling station experience today.  An older lady from my church needed some assistance getting to the polling station and walking through the facility.  It was an awfully small location, with people having to stand outside in the rain, but due to this lady's medical condition, we were able to skip through the lines and get to the voting machine fairly quickly.  Again, the lines were slow, which I believe have more to do with the numerous state and county initiatives being on the ballot this year rather than voter turnout.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 12:00:16 AM »

I can't.  No voting booths are open today! Sad
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 08:08:30 AM »

My voting experience was pleasant in and of itself - got there around 3pm so barely anyone was there. However as I said before I had to drive through Atlanta twice, which all in all took two hours of my time. Went to Fuddruckers after that, and aside from my burger being overcooked by just a bit that was pretty damn good.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 08:53:15 AM »

My voting experience was pleasant in and of itself - got there around 3pm so barely anyone was there. However as I said before I had to drive through Atlanta twice, which all in all took two hours of my time. Went to Fuddruckers after that, and aside from my burger being overcooked by just a bit that was pretty damn good.

That's good eatin'!  Smiley  Have you tried their Ostrich burger?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »

That's good eatin'!  Smiley  Have you tried their Ostrich burger?

No I haven't - I really only go there once or twice a year because I really, really have to be hungry to want to. Thusly I usually just get a 1/2 pound cheeseburger, medium rare, with fries.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 08:58:28 AM »

The Ostrich burger is worth the experience.  It tastes like a meaty chicken sandwich, but with all the cheese, katsup, etc on it, you'd swear it was beef.  I prefer the real thing, but I could consider it a reasonable substitute . . . especially considering that it is 99% fat free.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 06:54:54 PM »

Have you tried their Ostrich burger?

Yuck, it's for the birds! Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length