Is Lauren Boebert at all endangered? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:43:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Lauren Boebert at all endangered? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Lauren Boebert at all endangered?  (Read 3599 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: March 19, 2022, 12:48:35 PM »
« edited: March 19, 2022, 01:02:21 PM by lfromnj »

Both Boebert and Cawthorn represent districts with extremely high Democratic floors but very low ceilings. CO-03 seems like an easier lift to me to be honest but I doubt that either is going to lose, especially when both the Ski Counties and Asheville are likely to nominate a candidate with zero appeal to the kind of voters who actually would need to be flipped.

Don't know Colorado too well, but in NC-11 the ideal candidate would probably need to be 1) deeply rooted in a community outside of Asheville, 2) obviously extremely culturally Southern, 3) moderate on a lot of hot-button issues, honestly to the point of being right-wing on guns, and 4) able to play the class warfare game to some extent and tap into resentment around the rising cost of living in a lot of mountain communities. Needless to say, all of these are major disadvantages in actually winning the primary since basically all of them rub the NC-11 Democratic primary electorate wrong, and that's probably a big issue in CO-03 too.

Redistricting did shift a bit out the ski country. It seems the primary will now be dominated the Pueblo area. The main ski liberal candidate did drop out. It isn't impossible for someone from there to win but they are still a bit geographically out of the core of the district.

I obviously also mentioned MT's western district which is also really similar geographically and politically with similar Obama 2012 and Biden 2020 numbers a Clinton 2016 collapse.

Purple is the western R base of the district and has been stagnant between 2012 and 2020. Meanwhile Yellow is ski country/other tourism areas and is now the D base and shifted a decent bit left while red used to be the D base but is a bit more R now. Red and Yellow both have around 65k and 70k Biden voters while purple has 50k.

Purple is Trump +33, Yellow is biden +20 and red is Trump +3.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 06:04:37 PM »

Looks like the primary could be interesting.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 06:09:28 PM »

Boebert does strike me as someone who'll eventually be gone just like MTG because such lightning rod of controversy types don't remain forever in Congress. Steve King is a recent example of one losing. Obviously more vulnerable in the primary but unlike MTG Boebert could lose in a really bad wave, it's a very polarized district with a high D floor and she only won by 6 points in 2018 before she was so controversial. So this isn't the year, but if there was a bet on her still being around at the end of the decade I'd bet against it.

FYI it was Scott Tipton in 2018 and the new district picked up some rural red Hispano county in the SE while losing a few ski counties so it moved a touch rightwards. Still I do agree she is definitely in danger in the future and I would bet on her losing in a D wave.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies