UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:49:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring  (Read 8913 times)
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2023, 06:13:49 PM »

Never say never I guess?
WE ARE SO BACK
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2023, 08:10:01 PM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2023, 03:05:44 PM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO

He's in:

Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2023, 06:24:40 PM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO

He's in:

Prediction: Tilt/Lean Curtis primary. He has the unique ability to be somewhat moderate and still be able to get a strong performance out of Utah County (Provo, he was mayor) if not win it outright. He’s also probably able to get a strong performance out of Salt Lake and Weber out of being the most moderate. That’s a great combination to win. The biggest danger to Curtis would actually be someone more moderate than him running, like Becky Edwards who would completely kneecap him. Wilson has to go ham in Utah County to win. But remember that these guys would vote the same the vast majority of the time.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2023, 08:53:24 PM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO

He's in:

Prediction: Tilt/Lean Curtis primary. He has the unique ability to be somewhat moderate and still be able to get a strong performance out of Utah County (Provo, he was mayor) if not win it outright. He’s also probably able to get a strong performance out of Salt Lake and Weber out of being the most moderate. That’s a great combination to win. The biggest danger to Curtis would actually be someone more moderate than him running, like Becky Edwards who would completely kneecap him. Wilson has to go ham in Utah County to win. But remember that these guys would vote the same the vast majority of the time.
I guess if someone like Becky Edwards gets in, it splits the moderate vote enough to get Wilson in?
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2023, 09:18:33 AM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO

He's in:

I guess if someone like Becky Edwards gets in, it splits the moderate vote enough to get Wilson in?
It would completely derail him in Salt Lake County which he definitely needs to win by a good margin to have any chance at all. Wilson could narrowly eke by with a plurality. Also Staggs/Phippen have no chance at this point because both are running.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2023, 05:59:53 PM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO

He's in:

It would completely derail him in Salt Lake County which he definitely needs to win by a good margin to have any chance at all. Wilson could narrowly eke by with a plurality. Also Staggs/Phippen have no chance at this point because both are running.
What would be the effects if Trump endorses Staggs?
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2023, 12:57:41 PM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO

He's in:

I would guess he receives around the same level of support, maybe a bump in Utah County but the rural areas only make up a small percentage of the state’s population (even the Saint George metro is surprisingly small compared to the state as a whole) and those areas are probably mostly Staggs best anyway. If Phippen were to receive a Mike Lee endorsement, it would give her campaign more credibility and put her at the exact same level as Staggs. Wilson’s base is fragile in my opinion because there’s many who could be prone to vote for a more moderate candidate such as Curtis, but also some who could go to either of the Trump-aligned candidates. The main question about Staggs and Phippen is which one will be Hughes and this year’s Wright.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2023, 06:56:25 PM »

Never say never I guess?
NOOOOOO

He's in:

I would guess he receives around the same level of support, maybe a bump in Utah County but the rural areas only make up a small percentage of the state’s population (even the Saint George metro is surprisingly small compared to the state as a whole) and those areas are probably mostly Staggs best anyway. If Phippen were to receive a Mike Lee endorsement, it would give her campaign more credibility and put her at the exact same level as Staggs. Wilson’s base is fragile in my opinion because there’s many who could be prone to vote for a more moderate candidate such as Curtis, but also some who could go to either of the Trump-aligned candidates. The main question about Staggs and Phippen is which one will be Hughes and this year’s Wright.
I highly doubt Phippen receives the Lee endorsement, he seems kind of irrelevant so far and Lee is interacting with Staggs all the time on twitter which makes me think he will endorse him.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2023, 04:57:49 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/utah-republican-seeking-replace-romney-falsified-endorsements-pressured-some-support-campaign-lawmaker?intcmp=tw_fnc
Speaking anonymously about the alleged endorsement of Wilson's campaign, one lawmaker whose name was on the list said he never endorsed the Republican in his race for the Senate. Other officials confirmed to Fox Digital that their names were listed even though they didn't endorse Wilson's bid.
The lawmaker – who requested to remain anonymous out of concern for retaliation from Wilson – said the fiasco with the campaign began this year when Wilson, whose tenure as House speaker concluded last week, called House members and pressured them to donate to him after he launched an exploratory committee to consider running for the seat.
Describing it as a "he knows what he's doing type of situation," the lawmaker also told Fox that some state House members who didn't financially support Wilson ended up losing their committee assignments.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2023, 07:57:58 PM »

https://www.deseret.com/2023/11/27/23965627/john-curtis-run-for-the-senate-3rd-congressional-district-race
State Sen. Mike Kennedy is exploring a campaign for Utah’s 3rd Congressional District — which includes the Wasatch Front from Provo to Sandy and nearly all of eastern Utah — he told the Deseret News.
Dougall — known on the campaign trail as John “Frugal” Dougall — also expressed an interest in running for Curtis’ seat during a conversation with the Deseret News.
Dougall took over the state auditor’s office in 2013 after ousting a longtime incumbent in a primary election. As auditor, Dougall has reviewed the state’s COVID-19 expenditures and database security.
Carolyn Phippen, another U.S. Senate candidate, may also “look to start in Triple A instead of MLB,” and exchange a statewide race for a 3rd District race
Other potential candidates who might throw their hat in the ring include former 3rd District candidate Stewart Peay, Utah County Commissioner Amelia Powers Gardner and former 2nd District candidate Bruce Hough, Jowers said.
Tanner Ainge, who ran against Curtis to represent the 3rd District in 2017, and Utah Lt. Gov. Deidre Henderson, who previously represented Spanish Fork in the Utah Senate, also appear to be well-positioned to launch congressional campaigns.
I would include Michelle Kaufusi, the current mayor of Provo as another likely candidate. I don’t believe Henderson will run for this, she’s the heir apparent (probably) in 2028 and she actually did unsuccessfully run for this seat in 2017 and lost at the convention. Kennedy and Dougall are the most likely in my opinion as they have ran or currently occupy state office.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2023, 06:17:28 PM »

Prospective poll finds Curtis with 43%, Wilson 11%, Staggs 6%, the rest Undecided. 60% know who Curtis is, 33% Wilson, 15% Staggs. So even though this poll seems to have been commissioned with the goal of getting Curtis to close the deal and run, there isn't much reason to doubt him having many campaign advantages.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2023, 11:09:37 AM »

Prospective poll finds Curtis with 43%, Wilson 11%, Staggs 6%, the rest Undecided. 60% know who Curtis is, 33% Wilson, 15% Staggs. So even though this poll seems to have been commissioned with the goal of getting Curtis to close the deal and run, there isn't much reason to doubt him having many campaign advantages.
We're gonna get Romney 2.0 aren't we... Sad
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2023, 02:34:59 PM »

We're gonna get Romney 2.0 aren't we... Sad
Curtis would probably be more of a John Hoeven, someone who receives little attention and is mostly quite generic but is occasionally moderate on random issues. If Curtis runs he’s probably the FrontRunner given he represents a 1/4 of SL County and a majority of Utah County’s population. His district appears far more rural than it actually is. Wilson has a few skeletons in his closet, but will probably be the most well funded given he’s probably the NRSC’s favorite. A wrench in Curtis’s possible win would be a decently funded moderate, who I have yet to hear of who could stifle his margins in Salt Lake County. This primary relies entirely on Utah County and Salt Lake County, the rurals are unimportant statewide.
JMT

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2023, 12:55:16 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2024, 05:46:11 PM »

Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2024, 06:21:43 PM »

Petition to rename this thread to ‘Crack open the Hatch’
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2024, 07:36:31 PM »

I'd favor a Curtis pun now
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2024, 08:10:14 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2024, 08:21:48 PM by Born to Slay. Forced to Work. »

I'd favor a Curtis pun now

“UT-SEN 2024: A Matter of Basic Curtisy”
“UT-SEN 2024: Curtis in Service”
“UT-SEN 2024: Curtis joins the clown bus”
“UT-SEN 2024: Proven Provo Pol Ponders Political Prospects”
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2024, 09:10:16 PM »

How old is this guy??
Oppo

« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2024, 09:56:02 PM »

How old is this guy??
Old enough to wear a bow tie!

Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2024, 09:58:05 PM »

How about: ‘What the Willson’s of Curtisy Demand’
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2024, 12:04:11 PM »

Hmmm…

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2024, 05:58:49 PM »

Salt Lake Tribune via MSN: World-renowned ski mountaineer, environmental activist running for Utah’s open Senate seat

First, she summited Mount Everest. Now, climate activist Caroline Gleich has set her sights on Capitol Hill.

The Park City-based professional ski mountaineer filed with the lieutenant governor’s office Monday to run as a Democrat for outgoing Sen. Mitt Romney’s seat.

“As I start this climb towards the U.S. Senate, I carry with me the lessons learned from reaching mountain peaks and navigating life’s terrain,” Gleich wrote on social media Monday. “My commitment is unwavering — to empower, to protect, and to advocate for a brighter future.”

Gleich’s “vision for Utah,” a statement said, “is rooted in a commitment to creating positive change, with a focus on advocating for people and the planet, social and environmental justice, and elevating critical issues such as air quality, gender equity, climate action, and more.”
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2024, 10:09:24 PM »

https://www.deseret.com/2024/1/21/24046110/brad-wilson-endorses-donald-trump
“It is evident that President Trump is the right nominee for our party,” Wilson wrote. “I look forward to working in the Senate with President Trump to unite our party, secure a stronger future for America, and continue the fight for conservative leadership. ... President Trump has my full endorsement.”
Yeah this guy isn’t going to get a respectable performance out of Salt Lake County lol
“RINO”
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies