UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:06:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring  (Read 8640 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2022, 07:10:49 PM »
« edited: September 13, 2023, 12:48:02 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/16/trump-ally-sean-reyes-mitt-romney-primary-00017741

Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes will likely announce a bid for 2024 Senate in May, challenging Romney. Romney, unlike what many say, is actually not that popular in Utah and the GOP establishment in the state according to this article are likely to back Reyes.
This will be something to watch. Imo Romney will just retire though.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 07:13:18 PM »

What does Burgess Owens do? I feel he wanted to run against Romney too and was hoping for Reyes to run against Cox instead. I wonder if Owens now goes for the governorship instead.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 08:53:31 PM »

Romney is GOP royalty in Utah and should easily win as a result.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 09:04:24 PM »

In a recent poll, 41% of Utah voters approve of him and 41% disapprove. This is among ALL voters, not just Republicans (and Democrats likely approve of him more than Republicans do).
Mike Lee is even vastly more popular than Romney is, and most of the Utah GOP establishment has turned on Mitt.
Romney is by no means royalty in Utah and he has a very serious chance of losing (especially against a very serious and popular challenger like Reyes).
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 09:18:31 PM »

In a recent poll, 41% of Utah voters approve of him and 41% disapprove. This is among ALL voters, not just Republicans (and Democrats likely approve of him more than Republicans do).
Mike Lee is even vastly more popular than Romney is, and most of the Utah GOP establishment has turned on Mitt.
Romney is by no means royalty in Utah and he has a very serious chance of losing (especially against a very serious and popular challenger like Reyes).

Why not run Burgess Owens? I know he’s old, but so was Romney when he was first elected to the Senate. Reyes should primary Cox instead, who’s clearly alienated a lot of the right. We can have a Black senator and a Filipino governor.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 09:20:26 PM »

Why not run Burgess Owens? I know he’s old, but so was Romney when he was first elected to the Senate. Reyes should primary Cox instead, who’s clearly alienated a lot of the right. We can have a Black senator and a Filipino governor.
Well Trump has asked Reyes to run many times. And Reyes is much more of a Trump loyalist than Owens is.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 09:34:37 PM »

Well Trump has asked Reyes to run many times. And Reyes is much more of a Trump loyalist than Owens is.

How about Chaffetz or Stewart?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 09:42:35 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/16/trump-ally-sean-reyes-mitt-romney-primary-00017741

Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes will likely announce a bid for 2024 Senate in May, challenging Romney. Romney, unlike what many say, is actually not that popular in Utah and the GOP establishment in the state according to this article are likely to back Reyes.

I've long thought that Mitt Romney is a one-term Senator. From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to be enjoying Capitol Hill that much, and he is getting up there in years. I wouldn't be surprised if Romney decides to retire in 2024 rather than run for reelection. And you're definitely right about his popularity. Mike Lee is more popular than him and is a better fit for the state.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 10:14:15 PM »

Do you think Burgess Owens will still run?
I've long thought that Mitt Romney is a one-term Senator. From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to be enjoying Capitol Hill that much, and he is getting up there in years. I wouldn't be surprised if Romney decides to retire in 2024 rather than run for reelection. And you're definitely right about his popularity. Mike Lee is more popular than him and is a better fit for the state.
HarrisonL

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »

I still think Romney will just retire at the end of his term
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 11:57:51 PM »

If Romney loses renomination could he pull a Lieberman 2006 and try running for re-election as a third party candidate, or would Utah law prevent that?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 10:21:36 AM »

What makes you believe that? I don't think he's DOA. He might be in every other states except for UT.
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 10:27:17 AM »

If Romney loses renomination could he pull a Lieberman 2006 and try running for re-election as a third party candidate, or would Utah law prevent that?
Utah has a sore loser law. It’s why Kael Weston couldn’t run as an independent this year.
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 10:30:06 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 10:30:27 AM »

Utah has a sore loser law. It’s why Kael Weston couldn’t run as an independent this year.

Alternatively, Romney doesn't even bother running in a GOP primary and just runs Indy from the start. Not likely, though that would be a way to get around that.
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2022, 10:34:25 AM »

Alternatively, Romney doesn't even bother running in a GOP primary and just runs Indy from the start. Not likely, though that would be a way to get around that.
I don’t think dems would just drop their own candidate and endorse Romney the same way they did for McMullin.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2022, 10:37:16 AM »

I see
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »

I don’t think dems would just drop their own candidate and endorse Romney the same way they did for McMullin.

The only top-tier candidate Democrats have is Ben McAdams and I can’t see him winning statewide.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »

The most recent in-depth Romney approval ratings in the state that I could find are from the Deseret 9 months ago: 51% among Republicans, 51% among Dems, & 54% among unaffiliated voters; Center Street PAC was also recording a statewide overall approval of 51% for him just 4 months ago. So, sure, Reyes will kick his ass at the convention just like Mike Kennedy did, but by that point, Romney will have already gathered the necessary signatures to preemptively make the primary ballot… just like he did against Mike Kennedy, lol. Romney remains a lifer if he wants to
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 01:49:51 PM »

Given Utah's trajectory and the importance of the Romney name in Utah, I feel like he wins way more easily than people generally think he will.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 03:34:39 PM »

It's safe R anyways
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »

The most recent in-depth Romney approval ratings in the state that I could find are from the Deseret 9 months ago: 51% among Republicans, 51% among Dems, & 54% among unaffiliated voters; Center Street PAC was also recording a statewide overall approval of 51% for him just 4 months ago. So, sure, Reyes will kick his ass at the convention just like Mike Kennedy did, but by that point, Romney will have already gathered the necessary signatures to preemptively make the primary ballot… just like he did against Mike Kennedy, lol. Romney remains a lifer if he wants to

That a guy that was the Republican nominee for president just a decade ago is now equally popular among Democrats speaks volumes. But not necessarily an indictment of Democrats, more of a tesimony how radical the Republican Party has become. I think it was the same with McCain towards the end, and certainly now.
OriAr
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2022, 10:07:48 PM »

Romney wins the primary easily seeing how McMullin got within 10% of Lee.
Romney is more conservative than McMullin and Reyes is far more of a Trump loyalist than Lee = Easy Romney win in the primary.
Or of course he could just retire... It'll be interesting to see who steps up then, I don't think Reyes will get a free run at it.
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2022, 10:36:29 PM »

Romney wins the primary easily seeing how McMullin got within 10% of Lee.
Romney is more conservative than McMullin and Reyes is far more of a Trump loyalist than Lee = Easy Romney win in the primary.
Or of course he could just retire... It'll be interesting to see who steps up then, I don't think Reyes will get a free run at it.

To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Romney just straight-up be replaced by one of his sons, if that was the direction he chose to go.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2022, 10:37:24 AM »

If this was some CT-2006 redux, the Dem candidate would still get around 10% of the vote, with Romney comes out on top with coalition of Dems + NeverTrump GOPers, winning something like 49-40-10%.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies