UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:27:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: UT-SEN 2024: Romney retiring  (Read 8915 times)
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2023, 10:28:30 PM »

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2023/09/15/rare-public-rebuke-lds-church/
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2023, 12:19:46 AM »

One anonymous pastor said he didn't like Ballard. So what? For all we know it could be made up.
JMT

« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2023, 08:58:05 AM »

JMT

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2023, 12:44:35 PM »

Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2023, 02:13:50 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2023, 02:21:29 AM by NE Senator Christian Man »

Senator Romney is one of the few neoconservatives that I have respect for on a political level and you cannot deny that he is a man of integrity and principle. His decision to not run for re-election shows how far some in the GOP have strayed from the principles of republicanism, institutional trust, and reason. And his willingness to buck the party on key issues showed that he had strong political instincts in which he remained apologetic even when the fallout was fierce. I wish that he may continue to be active in politics as he is a sane voice in a time of insanity, although I wish him the best in his retirement.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2023, 04:14:00 AM »

Senator Romney is one of the few neoconservatives that I have respect for on a political level and you cannot deny that he is a man of integrity and principle. His decision to not run for re-election shows how far some in the GOP have strayed from the principles of republicanism, institutional trust, and reason. And his willingness to buck the party on key issues showed that he had strong political instincts in which he remained apologetic even when the fallout was fierce. I wish that he may continue to be active in politics as he is a sane voice in a time of insanity, although I wish him the best in his retirement.

Yeah he lost a landslide to Obama because his Bain Capital went bankrupt and took employees 401 K and blocked Voting Rights, he is okay, but he still lost a landslide to Obama, and UT is Mt  State not a swing state anyways, Prez Biden is easily gonna win 270 and win Reelection
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2023, 09:34:16 PM by Oryxslayer »

If so, it's cause the statewide "Wasatch Front Mormon Conservatives" aren't going to run, and he sees a open lane versus the Nationalized GOP types and Trumpists. Even if they overall aren't as openminded as Romney, the Cox coalition's voters remain strong.
JMT

« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2023, 08:39:31 PM »

Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2023, 07:16:25 AM »

If so, it's cause the statewide "Wasatch Front Mormon Conservatives" aren't going to run, and he sees a open lane versus the Nationalized GOP types and Trumpists. Even if they overall aren't as openminded as Romney, the Cox coalition's voters remain strong.
Ugh, he's just Romney 2.0.
I hope him and Wilson split the establishment vote.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2023, 08:41:04 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2023, 08:46:44 PM by Utah Neolib »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gov-cox-praises-romney-gives-tentative-endorsement-to-wilson-in-senate-race/ar-AA1h49V8
“He’s the type of person that would make an incredible senator,” Cox said of Wilson. “I believe he’s one of the best Speakers of the House that we’ve ever had in this state, and it’s been an honor to work with him.”
From Salt Lake Tribune (different article, can’t find again)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2023, 06:37:04 PM »

Curtis out.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2023, 06:57:44 PM »

Curtis out.
If he ran he probably would have been the frontrunner. Wilson seems to be the establishment choice.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2023, 07:07:46 PM »

Curtis out.
If he ran he probably would have been the frontrunner. Wilson seems to be the establishment choice.
Curtis would’ve had a unique advantage in Provo and Utah County given that he was mayor of Provo and represents most of the population in the county. He could’ve put up a solid performance in Salt Lake and Utah counties and won. Presuming someone else major like Blake Moore or Deirdre Henderson runs, Wilson is a not-insurmountable favorite.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2023, 07:12:32 PM »

Curtis out.
Curtis would’ve had a unique advantage in Provo and Utah County given that he was mayor of Provo and represents most of the population in the county. He could’ve put up a solid performance in Salt Lake and Utah counties and won. Presuming someone else major like Blake Moore or Deirdre Henderson runs, Wilson is a not-insurmountable favorite.
I highly doubt Moore runs.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2023, 07:49:00 PM »

Curtis out.
I agree and I also think Henderson won’t run. However they were the two major options I thought of (Owens is old and probably wants to retire in 2026 after he gets the pension).
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2023, 08:08:53 PM »

Curtis out.
I agree and I also think Henderson won’t run. However they were the two major options I thought of (Owens is old and probably wants to retire in 2026 after he gets the pension).
Is there maybe some rich Mormon businessman who could get in? The field right now looks ripe for an outsider to jump in.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2023, 04:03:59 PM »

Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2023, 07:59:42 PM »

https://www.upr.org/utah-news/2023-10-11/us-senate-candidate-brad-wilson-faces-lawsuit-lawyer-says-its-baseless
A lawsuit filed late last month accuses soon-to-be-former Utah House speaker and U.S. Senate candidate Brad Wilson of financial misconduct at Destination Homes, a company Wilson co-founded. The lawsuit was filed by David Peterson, the company’s former chief finance officer.

In the lawsuit, Peterson alleges that after he lent the company $430,000, Wilson refused to pay the agreed-upon interest on the loan and fractured a deal that guaranteed Peterson a share of the stock in the company. Meanwhile, the suit alleges Wilson, who wasn’t yet in the Utah Legislature, lent money to then-state Sen. Greg Bell, who later became lieutenant governor.

Peterson also alleges the money to Bell was later forgiven by Wilson, a move that was intended to help Wilson’s political aspirations.

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2023, 08:58:50 PM »

Very interesting fun fact, though I assume partly because they’ve had longer tenures than most.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2023, 12:13:14 PM »

Are UT democrats going to compete for it?
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2023, 08:39:19 AM »

Carolyn Phippen, former Mike Lee and Greg Hughes advisor enters the race:
https://www.fox13now.com/news/politics/former-utah-house-candidate-announces-shes-running-for-senate-to-replace-outgoing-mitt-romney
According to her campaign website, Phippen is the executive director of Freedom Front of Utah, which she said "protects individual liberties and the free market." The Salt Lake Tribune reports that Phippen was also a staffer for Sen. Mike Lee.

In her campaign announcement, Phippen touts her "strong commitment to her community and a deep-rooted belief in limited government and individual liberties" and hopes to bring "a fresh perspective" to the office if elected.

“I’m not a career politician. I’m a mom who knows what it takes to raise a family in Utah. For too long, D.C. politicians have prioritized their own interests while their reckless spending has sent our economy spiraling," she said. "I believe that our nation’s best days lie ahead, but we must elect leaders who not only understand the real challenges we face, but who will do the hard work to restore the principles that have made this nation prosper.”
I think it’s possible she can take the MAGA types away from Staggs and towards her, but this probably just splits their vote. Still Likely Wilson until someone major enters.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2023, 09:30:39 AM »

https://www.fox13now.com/news/politics/former-utah-house-candidate-announces-shes-running-for-senate-to-replace-outgoing-mitt-romney
According to her campaign website, Phippen is the executive director of Freedom Front of Utah, which she said "protects individual liberties and the free market." The Salt Lake Tribune reports that Phippen was also a staffer for Sen. Mike Lee.

In her campaign announcement, Phippen touts her "strong commitment to her community and a deep-rooted belief in limited government and individual liberties" and hopes to bring "a fresh perspective" to the office if elected.

“I’m not a career politician. I’m a mom who knows what it takes to raise a family in Utah. For too long, D.C. politicians have prioritized their own interests while their reckless spending has sent our economy spiraling," she said. "I believe that our nation’s best days lie ahead, but we must elect leaders who not only understand the real challenges we face, but who will do the hard work to restore the principles that have made this nation prosper.”
I think it’s possible she can take the MAGA types away from Staggs and towards her, but this probably just splits their vote. Still Likely Wilson until someone major enters.
Mike Lee probably endorses Staggs at this rate, so I'm not sure how much of an impact a former Lee/Hughes staffer will make.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2023, 10:30:47 PM »

Mike Lee probably endorses Staggs at this rate, so I'm not sure how much of an impact a former Lee/Hughes staffer will make.
I’d bet Mike Lee remains neutral, as Romney stayed neutral in his race.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2023, 11:08:24 PM »

I’d bet Mike Lee remains neutral, as Romney stayed neutral in his race.
Mike Lee would have remained neutral if Romney was still running, but now that it's an open seat I don't see why he would endorse.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2023, 03:55:33 PM »

Never say never I guess?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies