Ireland actually does something good for once!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:48:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland actually does something good for once!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ireland actually does something good for once!  (Read 799 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2022, 05:19:53 PM »

https://www.thejournal.ie/global-greening-stood-down-ukraine-colours-5706717-Mar2022

I would rather be waterboarded than wear green on St. Patrick's Day but I approve of this.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 07:58:40 PM »

What in the British nationalist is this title?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:02:40 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2022, 08:11:49 PM by Cassius »

BRTD is less positively disposed towards Ireland than the Black and Tans were.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 04:48:25 AM »

Not hard to imagine why the Irish are so pro-Ukraine, really. They even had their own Holodomor.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 10:46:45 AM »

Not hard to imagine why the Irish are so pro-Ukraine, really. They even had their own Holodomor.
When I was there, that’s all the tour guide talked about.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »

This is very slanderous to our Irish brothers and sisters, they've done many other good things like Guinness for one
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 05:55:15 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2022, 06:23:24 PM by HenryWallaceVP »

I mean, one needn't be an Orangeman to recognize that the Republic of Ireland has for many years been one of the most socially backward states in Western Europe. The singer Sinead O'Connor, an Irish republican, has long criticized her country's repressive policies, which have included banning everything from abortion to music videos (most infamously R.E.M.'s video for Losing My Religion) thanks to the outsized influence of the Catholic Church on the country's culture and politics. Thankfully, with the legalization of abortion a few years ago and gay marriage a few years earlier, it seems that Ireland is finally leaving its theocratic past behind.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 06:57:33 AM »

I would worry more about the theocratic tendencies in the US (which are increasing, not decreasing)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 07:59:33 AM »

I mean, one needn't be an Orangeman to recognize that the Republic of Ireland has for many years been one of the most socially backward states in Western Europe. The singer Sinead O'Connor, an Irish republican, has long criticized her country's repressive policies, which have included banning everything from abortion to music videos (most infamously R.E.M.'s video for Losing My Religion) thanks to the outsized influence of the Catholic Church on the country's culture and politics. Thankfully, with the legalization of abortion a few years ago and gay marriage a few years earlier, it seems that Ireland is finally leaving its theocratic past behind.

It has a lot of other things going for it was well. The only real non microstate that is still a constitutional theocracy left in Europe is Poland, where you can go to prison for everything from abortion to blasphemy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 04:30:08 PM »

Countries do not actually boil down to their political cultures and nothing more.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 05:39:53 PM »

The Irish Navy (Consisting of a fleet of fishing boats) already beat the Russian Navy just a few months back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBS6MZ3LFaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8tFwR_eII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBUKJ2V3W0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-7GNoDJ5c

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »

What the f**k? And here I thought Hibernophobia was a thing of the past!
Yoda
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 09:47:40 PM »

This is very slanderous to our Irish brothers and sisters, they've done many other good things like Guinness for one

Don't forget Smithwick's And Harp! That's three whole things
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 05:56:49 AM »

Father Ted Smiley
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 09:12:35 AM »

Father Ted Smiley

Barry's Tea!
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »

You could say this about Portugal or Spain, though. Ireland is not that unique in having a political culture dominated by the conservative elements of the Catholic Church
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2022, 01:23:13 PM »

You could say this about Portugal or Spain, though. Ireland is not that unique in having a political culture dominated by the conservative elements of the Catholic Church

The same pattern is happening in Latin America at even a faster rate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies