SR 107-26: Senate Modernization Rules Package (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 107-26: Senate Modernization Rules Package (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SR 107-26: Senate Modernization Rules Package (Passed)  (Read 1706 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2022, 01:48:00 PM »
« edited: May 08, 2022, 03:43:14 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

A Resolution
To amend the Senate rules

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

Section 1. Title

1. This resolution may be cited as the Senate Modernization Rules Package.

Section 2

Article 2 of the Official Senate Procedures and Rules for Operation is amended as follows:

3.) 20 23 threads about legislation may be open for voting and debate simultaneously.
a.) The first 15 18 open threads shall be open to all legislation initially regarding bills, resolutions or constitutional amendments. If the sponsor already has two or more pieces of legislation on the Senate floor, legislation from Senators who do not shall take priority until all such other legislation is completed. The PPT shall be the Presiding Officer for these open threads.

b.) The nineteenth slot shall be reserved for national emergencies and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

c.) The twentieth slot shall be reserved for budgetary legislation and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

d.) The twenty-first and twenty-second slots shall be reserved for the President of the Republic of Atlasia and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

e.) The twenty-third slot shall be reserved for public submissions and shall be introduced by the President of the Senate

Section 3.

Article 4 is amended as follows

1. After a piece of legislation is introduced to the Senate floor, debate shall begin immediately. Debate on the legislation shall last for no less than 120 96 hours. The Senate may waive the 120 96-hour requirement on non-controversial legislation by unanimous consent. To waive the 120 96-hour requirement, the presiding officer must request unanimous consent to waive the minimum debate time requirement and provide 24 hours for a Senator to object to this request. If the 12096-hour requirement is waived, the presiding officer shall immediately open a final vote.

3.) Once a piece of legislation has been on the floor for 120 96 hours, any Senator may motion for a final vote. If no objection is made against such a motion within 24 hours, a final vote shall be opened. If an objection is made, then a vote shall be opened on ending debate. The concurrence of three-fourths a majority of the Senate shall be required to end debate, unless the legislation had been on the floor for at least 168 hours or debate had ceased for at least 24 hours prior to the motion for a final vote. Should the Senate vote to end debate, a final vote shall be opened.

4.) When debate on legislation has halted for longer than 24 hours and the legislation has been on the floor for more than 120 96 hours, any Senator may call for a vote on said legislation. The presiding officer shall open a vote if no other member of the Senate objects within 24 hours of the call for a vote. When the legislation has been on the floor for more than 120 96 hours, any Senator may motion for cloture. Upon the concurrence of a majority  of the Senate, the Senate shall end debate, and proceed to a final vote. If the legislation has been on the floor for more than 168 hours, or debate has ceased for 24 hours, a simple majority is needed in order to end the debates. The presiding officer shall then open a final vote.

Sponsor: Western Democrat

The gentleman from Oregon is recognized.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 01:50:58 PM »

The purpose of this proposal is two things; 1. Increase the amount of bills that can be on the floor at any one time, and 2. To streamline the process of passing legislation. As of late, I’ve noticed that several bills on the floor get practically zero debate, with advocacy being offered and then a final vote a few days later. In light of this, a reduction in the minimum debate time from 120 to 96 is quite reasonable. It also relaxes the rules for cloture, as unfortunately this pass congress an unnecessary amount of time has been eaten up by cloture votes. I’d like to hear what the rest of my colleagues think of this proposal.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 02:04:22 PM »

The purpose of this proposal is two things; 1. Increase the amount of bills that can be on the floor at any one time, and 2. To streamline the process of passing legislation. As of late, I’ve noticed that several bills on the floor get practically zero debate, with advocacy being offered and then a final vote a few days later. In light of this, a reduction in the minimum debate time from 120 to 96 is quite reasonable. It also relaxes the rules for cloture, as unfortunately this pass congress an unnecessary amount of time has been eaten up by cloture votes. I’d like to hear what the rest of my colleagues think of this proposal.

Excellent proposal. Wholeheartedly endorsed.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 02:37:43 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2022, 02:41:17 PM by West_Midlander »

If this legislation is so pressing why are there two open slots for general legislation right now? Why did this legislation come to the floor before any of my bills when the Senate rules state that the queue should be followed so long as the sponsor has <2 bills on the floor and I am only sponsoring one of Spark's bills that is one the floor now?

The PPT's bill was introduced today and my bills have been submitted for days.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 02:42:10 PM »

If this legislation is so pressing why are there two open slots for general legislation right now? Why did this legislation come to the floor before any of my bills when the Senate rules state that the queue should be followed so long as the sponsor has <2 bills on the floor and I am only sponsoring one of Spark's bills that is one the floor now?

I am in the process of putting your bills on the floor.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 02:43:15 PM »

Why did this legislation come to the floor immediately when it is last in the queue?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 02:46:59 PM »

Why did this legislation come to the floor immediately when it is last in the queue?

It would be severely counterproductive to wait days and weeks to put on the floor a resolution to increase the number of bills that can be on the floor, no? In order to maximize productiveness and efficiency in this new Congress, I believe it’s essential that these reforms are debated and voted upon as soon as possible.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 02:49:51 PM »

It would be severely counterproductive to wait days and weeks to put on the floor a resolution to increase the number of bills that can be on the floor, no? In order to maximize productiveness and efficiency in this new Congress, I believe it’s essential that these reforms are debated and voted upon as soon as possible.

Is that allowed under the Senate rules? (Genuinely asking).

Regardless, it seems overly partisan and damaging to the Republic for the PPT, whoever they are, regardless of party, to be able to push bills to the top of the queue which s/he believes are very important. This can easily be abused for partisan purposes.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 02:52:13 PM »

Also, (not an expert on the Senate rules by any means so I am asking), do Mr. R's bills not have precedent over mine since he is now a sitting Senator and he pre-filed his legislation before me or does all his legislation go to the back of the queue starting once he swore in?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 03:07:50 PM »

Also, (not an expert on the Senate rules by any means so I am asking), do Mr. R's bills not have precedent over mine since he is now a sitting Senator and he pre-filed his legislation before me or does all his legislation go to the back of the queue starting once he swore in?

I’m not entirely sure myself, that would probably be a question best suited for Yankee. But I will start off by placing his bills on the floor.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »

I’m not entirely sure myself, that would probably be a question best suited for Yankee. But I will start off by placing his bills on the floor.

Do you know if the PPT has the power to place bills onto the floor from lower in the queue at will (genuinely asking)?
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 03:13:54 PM »

Is that allowed under the Senate rules? (Genuinely asking).

Regardless, it seems overly partisan and damaging to the Republic for the PPT, whoever they are, regardless of party, to be able to push bills to the top of the queue which s/he believes are very important. This can easily be abused for partisan purposes.

Blah blah blah, "overly partisan and damaging", give us all a break lmao
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 03:53:50 PM »

After some consideration, an amendment:

3.) 20 25 threads about legislation may be open for voting and debate simultaneously.
a.) The first 15 20 open threads shall be open to all legislation initially regarding bills, resolutions or constitutional amendments. If the sponsor already has two or more pieces of legislation on the Senate floor, legislation from Senators who do not shall take priority until all such other legislation is completed. The PPT shall be the Presiding Officer for these open threads.

b.) The twenty-first slot shall be reserved for national emergencies and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

c.) The twenty-second slot shall be reserved for budgetary legislation and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

d.) The twenty-third and twenty-fourth slots shall be reserved for the President of the Republic of Atlasia and administered by either the President of the Senate or the PPT.

e.) The twenty-fifth slot shall be reserved for public submissions and shall be introduced by the President of the Senate
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 03:54:02 PM »

24 hours to object
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 04:15:56 PM »

I object.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 04:18:31 PM »

A vote is now open on the amendment. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 04:18:55 PM »

Also, the PPT has twice ignored my question about if he has the power to put bills on the floor regardless of the queue. I guess the majority believes totally disregarding the Senate rules is just A-OK. This is what many "moderates" who support "good government" voted for. Absolutely disgraceful.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 04:21:04 PM »

Also, the PPT has twice ignored my question about if he has the power to put bills on the floor regardless of the queue. I guess the majority believes totally disregarding the Senate rules is just A-OK. This is what many "moderates" who support "good government" voted for. Absolutely disgraceful.

1. There is no provision in the rule preventing such a thing.

2. lol
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 04:21:09 PM »

Nay. Why is the amendment needed and this bill in general? The PPT has been perfectly happy to leave slots empty in the past even though we have less slots currently than this bill provides for.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2022, 04:21:28 PM »

Aye on the amendment 
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2022, 04:23:30 PM »

1. There is no provision in the rule preventing such a thing.

2. lol

This man lied to me that his post is a procedural one. Corruption, plain and simple. The Senate rules say how this chamber is supposed to be run and the presiding officer should follow the rules of this body.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2022, 04:26:43 PM »

Aye on the amendment.

Might I suggest a further amendment to prevent use of the words/phrases "partisan", "Senate rules", and "corruption" by Senator West_Midlander, which will provide this hallowed body with a modicum of peace and smooth operation.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2022, 04:29:16 PM »

Aye on the amendment. This is a common sense reform.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2022, 04:35:10 PM »

My bills arent officially in the queue until I swear in, so yours get preference over mine. I have 10 days to swear in and we're making such great progress in the Southern Chamber I may pass another 15 - 20 Southern laws first before I swear in. But yeah, feel free to bump mine to the back of the queue until I swear in. Maybe the "Tan Man Bad" fever will break by then and we wont have the Labor party hilariously vote to protect 75% interest rate loans from Capital One Bank loan sharks to try and "own" me.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2022, 05:00:28 PM »

AYE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: