Eight States probing TikTok's effects on on kids and teens
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:23:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Eight States probing TikTok's effects on on kids and teens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Eight States probing TikTok's effects on on kids and teens  (Read 589 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2022, 10:22:48 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/02/bipartisan-state-ags-investigating-tiktoks-impact-on-kids-and-teens.html

TikTok is under investigation by a bipartisan group of state attorneys general to determine if the popular short-form video platform’s design, operations or promotion to young users negatively affects their physical or mental health.

The AGs are seeking to find out if the short-form video app violated state consumer-protection laws.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »

It might help in terms of getting information about the potential harms out there for parents to see, but for the most part, this won't change anything.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »

A pool table, don't you understand?
Friend, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do not wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community
Well, ya got trouble my friend, right here.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 11:27:22 AM »

Warranted. The kids are not alright.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 11:37:22 AM »

Good and needed but should also be done for Instagram.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »

I would literally die if it weren't for TikTok and Instagram.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 12:06:36 PM »

They're fine.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 12:09:36 PM »

Nope!

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/headlines/even-before-covid-19-pandemic-youth-suicide-already-at-record-high/2021/04

Suicide is the second leading cause of death among people ages 10-24 and has been increasing every year since 2007

The rate of suicide for those ages 10 to 24 increased nearly 60% between 2007 and 2018, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC reported that suicide was the second leading cause of death among people ages 10-34 in 2018.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 12:14:32 PM »

Sure we should look into how it is impacting children, but no we should not be banning these apps.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 12:19:19 PM »

Mothers of River City!
Heed that warning before it's too late!
Watch for the tell-tale signs of corruption!
The moment your daughter leaves the house
Does she move her scrunchie below the wrist?
Is there a Juul stain on her index finger?
A selfie collection hidden in the corn crib?
Is she starting to memorize jokes from dead meme Insta pages?
Are certain words creeping into her conversation?
Words like, like "bruh"? (Trouble, trouble, trouble!)
Aha! And "that's on fleek"? (Trouble, trouble, trouble!)
Well, if so my friends
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 03:45:07 PM »

Can confirm (Posts on Atlas)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 03:48:04 PM »

Sure we should look into how it is impacting children, but no we should not be banning these apps.

That would be truly tragic. People might actually go outside!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 04:00:55 PM »

Nope!

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/headlines/even-before-covid-19-pandemic-youth-suicide-already-at-record-high/2021/04

Suicide is the second leading cause of death among people ages 10-24 and has been increasing every year since 2007

The rate of suicide for those ages 10 to 24 increased nearly 60% between 2007 and 2018, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC reported that suicide was the second leading cause of death among people ages 10-34 in 2018.

https://www.sprc.org/scope/age

Rates increased comparably with the next age group and rates have been rising amongst all age groups.

Amongst 15-24 year olds there is an equal chance of an American dying through homicide. Nearly a third of suicides are the result of a firearm.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/suicide

That's not in anyway to belittle suicide, or depression, but context is important here.

But it's easier to blame the talkies, colour TV, video games, MySpace or TikTok throughout the years than take action on mental health and firearm accessibility.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2022, 04:03:09 PM »

Nope!

And outside of specific cases of online bullying, does anyone really think that TikTok content is among the top 100 reasons here?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »

Nope!

And outside of specific cases of online bullying, does anyone really think that TikTok content is among the top 100 reasons here?

That's my concern. This is something legislators do, on repeat, every generation when faced with new media that's 'causing' adverse effects on the youth where they earmark areas for scrutiny, but in the same breath are happy to designate anything genuinely controversial and a contributing factor to depression and suicidal risk as off limits.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2022, 04:53:48 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 04:56:54 PM by DaleCooper »

Nope!

That's my concern. This is something legislators do, on repeat, every generation when faced with new media that's 'causing' adverse effects on the youth where they earmark areas for scrutiny, but in the same breath are happy to designate anything genuinely controversial and a contributing factor to depression and suicidal risk as off limits.

I don't trust legislators either, but if they're going to stumble into the right decision, I applaud them. A dramatic increase in suicide rates and mental health concerns started right around when social media came onto the scene. As for potential causes of this problem, I can't think of many more obvious possibilities than social media, and since TikTok is the one of the biggest and certainly the shadiest of them all, it make sense to investigate that one.

As for your comments about the suicide rates increasing, it should be pointed that all age groups use social media, so if social media replacing human interaction is a contributor here, then that those rates would make sense. Cigarettes also hurt the lungs of all ages, but those companies aren't allowed to target children anymore.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2022, 04:54:52 PM »

Nope!

TikTok is a social media application designed to be as addictive as possible and pushes its users to interact with strangers they don't know. It's not unreasonable at all to suspect that this could have adverse effects on kids. If back in the old days there was a publication that kids could submit their photos to and then receive personal feedback from anonymous readers, I'd hope that states would investigate that service's negative impacts too.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2022, 05:17:21 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 05:21:05 PM by afleitch »

Nope!

I don't trust legislators either, but if they're going to stumble into the right decision, I applaud them. A dramatic increase in suicide rates and mental health concerns started right around when social media came onto the scene. As for potential causes of this problem, I can't think of many more obvious possibilities than social media, and since TikTok is the one of the biggest and certainly the shadiest of them all, it make sense to investigate that one.

As for your comments about the suicide rates increasing, it should be pointed that all age groups use social media, so if social media replacing human interaction is a contributor here, then that those rates would make sense. Cigarettes also hurt the lungs of all ages, but those companies aren't allowed to target children anymore.

No you're on here talking about the dangers of Tik Tok being adverse to teenagers mental health, but saying earlier today you don't approve of puberty blockers to help alleviate dysphoria.

I also note on that thread you're doing the whole 'Anyone who disagrees with me, feel free to address my concerns because I think it's an important conversation to have and I'm eager to learn.' schtick. Despite others already doing that. Indeed I just remembered that I did that too in January!

So forgive me for not taking any of your concerns about mental health in good faith. You're exactly the sort of person I was talking about. You pick and chose what to focus on, to focus attention on what fits your narrative and 'just ask questions' about what doesn't or downright dismiss experts on the subject.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2022, 05:27:23 PM »

TikTok is a psychological warfare operation by the CCP targeting American youth and should be banned. Good on these states for defending Americans against Xi and his thugs.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2022, 05:31:34 PM »

Nope!

No you're on here talking about the dangers of Tik Tok being adverse to teenagers mental health, but saying earlier today you don't approve of puberty blockers to help alleviate dysphoria.

I also note on that thread you're doing the whole 'Anyone who disagrees with me, feel free to address my concerns because I think it's an important conversation to have and I'm eager to learn.' schtick. Despite others already doing that. Indeed I just remembered that I did that too in January!

So forgive me for not taking any of your concerns about mental health in good faith. You're exactly the sort of person I was talking about. You pick and chose what to focus on, to focus attention on what fits your narrative and 'just ask questions' about what doesn't or downright dismiss experts on the subject.

All of that is totally irrelevant. Everyone talks more about the issues they're concerned about, including you, so I don't see how that's a mark against me. And I didn't even say that I know TikTok negatively effects young people's health, just that I suspect it (along with all other social media applications) does and I support an investigation.

And all I have to say about your allegation that I "downright dismiss experts" is LOL! It seems like anytime a lefty on this website brings up "experts" (often not even bothering to cite any themselves) they're just trying to shut down the conversation. I could list hundreds of links to credible experts pointing out how social media negatively impacts psychological health. It's not a radical position to think that these platforms are, by design, detrimental to the psychological health of their users.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2022, 05:37:04 PM »

You do realize this is going to make some people want to ban them more, right?

What happened to the Russia av?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2022, 06:00:56 PM »

TikTok is a psychological warfare operation by the CCP targeting American youth and should be banned. Good on these states for defending Americans against Xi and his thugs.

Exactly. Tiktok is Chinese spyware elevating the most fragile minds to influencer status. I recall a recent study linking tourettes hoaxes to tiktok because people want to feel oppressed so that they can feel virtuous.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/teen-girls-are-developing-tics-doctors-say-tiktok-could-be-a-factor-11634389201
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2022, 06:02:14 PM »

You do realize this is going to make some people want to ban them more, right?

What happened to the Russia av?
1. Death is inevitable
2. I realized the Russia av doesn't include Ukraine yet.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2022, 07:02:34 PM »

Right here in river city America!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2022, 07:11:24 PM »

Case in point.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies