Happy Bloody Monday!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Happy Bloody Monday!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Happy Bloody Monday!  (Read 4880 times)
Judge Phil
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2022, 05:07:17 PM »

It’s that time of the year again! Can you believe it’s already been 2 whole years since all the mainstream Dems dropped out to boost Biden for Super Tuesday?

RIP Bernie’s chances of ever being Prez
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 07:17:19 PM »

It’s that time of the year again! Can you believe it’s already been 2 whole years since all the mainstream Dems dropped out to boost Biden for Super Tuesday?

What are your political views?
Judge Phil
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 08:58:15 PM »

What are your political views?
I’m a populist Republican like Saagar Enjeti.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 09:12:18 PM »

Lol, I still can't believe Sanders and his supports thought that 30-ish % in each state was going to be a winning coalition in that primary.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 09:15:31 PM »

Lol, I still can't believe Sanders and his supports thought that 30-ish % in each state was going to be a winning coalition in that primary.
Getting a 35% plurality in a presidential primary is not a road to getting the nomination unchallenged, it is a road to a contested convention.
Judge Phil
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 09:19:54 PM »

I must admit, I was surprised Biden did as well as he did despite Bloomberg still be in. I definitely saw him winning Texas and after the Klobuchar dropout, Minnesota, (along with sweeping the south and Oklahoma) but I was shocked to see him win Massachusetts and Maine.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 11:39:13 PM »

That strategy worked back when there were multiple opponents occupying the moderate/conservative lane, but once that lane was reduced to a single candidate, it was no longer viable.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 11:41:24 PM »

I must admit, I was surprised Biden did as well as he did despite Bloomberg still be in. I definitely saw him winning Texas and after the Klobuchar dropout, Minnesota, (along with sweeping the south and Oklahoma) but I was shocked to see him win Massachusetts and Maine.

This is the result of many people deciding their primary votes at the last minute. Exit polls from the Super Tuesday contests indicated that there were many states where late deciders (those who decided their votes within the last few days or on primary day itself) comprised at least 40% of the entire primary electorate, and Biden won all of those states.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 04:05:21 AM »

That strategy worked back when there were multiple opponents occupying the moderate/conservative lane, but once that lane was reduced to a single candidate, it was no longer viable.

Sure, but the the fact that there was no longterm strategy for when those loser candidates would eventually dropout (as they certainly would've done post-Super Tuesday) is pretty shocking to me. Just goes to show the importance of staffing your campaign with reasonable strategists rather than true believers.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 12:25:45 PM »

Sure, but the the fact that there was no longterm strategy for when those loser candidates would eventually dropout (as they certainly would've done post-Super Tuesday) is pretty shocking to me. Just goes to show the importance of staffing your campaign with reasonable strategists rather than true believers.
I am a big political junkie and all the democrats dropping out shocked me. Obvious in hindsight, but I thought they were all delusional.

I did not understand how there could be a dozen democrats in the primary polling at 1%. I thought Buttigieg was delusional. I thought they were all delusional and greedy to stay and fight it out at a contested convention. Make sense the Sanders camp thought the same thing.

Sanders plan was to win a pluraity at every state and expect to be handed the nomination at a contested convention. Make sense. If Sanders had the most votes and delegates and did not win the nomination, Democrats would have lost in a landslide.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 02:02:29 PM »

Nothing at all suspicious about Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropping out literally hours before Super Tuesday, even with Klobuchar's home state voting that day. I try not to think about it too much, because what's done is done, but the way that many Democrats acted toward Sanders and his supporters is one of the reasons I eventually decided not to affiliate myself with the party.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 10:58:43 PM »

Nothing at all suspicious about Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropping out literally hours before Super Tuesday, even with Klobuchar's home state voting that day. I try not to think about it too much, because what's done is done, but the way that many Democrats acted toward Sanders and his supporters is one of the reasons I eventually decided not to affiliate myself with the party.

It's not "suspicious", it's basic political strategy. It was clear from polling that Pete and Amy weren't going to be competitive in most states, so they dropped out and endorsed the next best option according to their politics.

You progressives are exactly like QAnon when something doesn't go your way, it must have been a massive conspiracy or everything was "stolen". Or maybe the "evil money" (Jews) did it, like Nina Turner suggested.
SpartanburgSam
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 07:44:22 PM »

It’s strange to think that a candidate who won Iowa (at least by one metric) and barely lose New Hampshire dropped out before Super Tuesday.

I also wonder how Klobuchar would have done in Minnesota if she stayed in. She probably doesn’t win it, but I think she would have won a good portion of the rural counties.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 08:17:15 PM »

That's pretty much how Jimmy Carter and Donald Trump won their debut primary campaigns, so it makes plenty of sense.

Certainly more sense than the Rudy Giuliani-esque, "trust me guys, we'll get it with one state" approach that actually happened.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 11:09:06 AM »

It's not "suspicious", it's basic political strategy. It was clear from polling that Pete and Amy weren't going to be competitive in most states, so they dropped out and endorsed the next best option according to their politics.

You progressives are exactly like QAnon when something doesn't go your way, it must have been a massive conspiracy or everything was "stolen". Or maybe the "evil money" (Jews) did it, like Nina Turner suggested.

There's a special kind of kool-aid you have to drink to honestly believe that Klobuchar and Buttigieg just dropped out on their own volition. Especially as Pete is now currently the head of DoT. No promises or deals made? lol

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 11:34:18 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2022, 11:38:40 AM by NYDem »

There's a special kind of kool-aid you have to drink to honestly believe that Klobuchar and Buttigieg just dropped out on their own volition. Especially as Pete is now currently the head of DoT. No promises or deals made? lol

You say that as if Secretary of Transportation is a choice job that a viable Presidential candidate would drop out in exchange for. A large minority (if not half) of Americans probably don't know that Buttigieg is the current Secretary, and I'd be willing to bet that >90% of Americans can't name one former Secretary of Transportation.

Klobuchar is doing essentially the same thing she was doing in 2019, so I don't even see what she supposedly got out of the deal.

I'm sure there were behind-the-scenes discussions that led to them dropping out, but I fail to see how the existence of a "deal" is obvious, particularly when Klobuchar got nothing.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »

You say that as if Secretary of Transportation is a choice job that a viable Presidential candidate would drop out in exchange for. A large minority (if not half) of Americans probably don't know that Buttigieg is the current Secretary, and I'd be willing to bet that >90% of Americans can't name one former Secretary of Transportation.

Klobuchar is doing essentially the same thing she was doing in 2019, so I don't even see what she supposedly got out of the deal.

I'm not saying they worked out the specific position then and there, but he definitely got promised a place in his administration. Klobuchar was very likely going to be the VP, but then George Floyd happened and her past prosecutorial record got scrutinized so she got screwed out of that. In Klobuchar's case, she could continue being a Senator so it was fine, but for Pete he didn't have a specific place to go afterward so he got this position.

Also, let's keep in mind they both dropped out and endorsed Joe Biden as they did. It was akwardly sudden.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 12:07:23 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2022, 01:03:42 PM by Xing »

What the actual f***, dude? I'm Jewish, so don't you dare patronize me with an accusation of antisemitism, especially when the DNC itself weighed the possibility of using Sanders's Jewish heritage against him in 2016. Your sh*tty attitude as well as said "strategy" you mentioned, as legal as it may be, is one of the reasons people like me continue to be critical of the Democratic Party. We're expected to accept and forgive constant attempts to otherize and ostracize us until the moment a more moderate candidate wins a primary. Then we get lectured about "unity", when there have been several cases of more moderate Democrats losing primaries, and then refusing to endorse a progressive challenger, or even endorsing their Republican opponent. Why is the standard of unity, decency, and not playing spoiler only applied to us? Why is any legitimate grievance dismissed as "buying into conspiracy theories"?

More and more, it seems like folks like you would be happier without folks like me in the party (so much for a "big tent", am I right?) All I can say is, be careful what you wish for.
SpartanburgSam
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 12:45:09 PM »

Bloody monday was the day democracy nearly died. Not January 6th.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 02:12:25 PM »

I'm sure there were behind-the-scenes discussions that led to them dropping out, but I fail to see how the existence of a "deal" is obvious, particularly when Klobuchar got nothing.
I agree. I don't think a deal was ever made for the other moderates to drop out.

That said, why would a deal need to be made? Obama called Klobuchar and Buttigieg and encouraged them to drop out. If they were offered something, that would have leaked by now.

Most likely, they need the faster they dropped out the better possible future job they would get. It only took one. Booker, Beto, Klobuchar and Buttigieg all endorsed Biden within 24 hours. No one wanted to be the last one to endorse Biden to help their future careers.

Even Warren did this. Why did she wait until after Super Tuesday to drop out? She wanted to hurt Bernie, with the hope of being Biden's VP. Was a deal made? No but she decided to take this course for her own career.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »

I mean even if they didn't all get in a meeting and make a plan, it was clearly semi-organized (which is why Obama called Buttigieg/Klob to drop out). It was all in an attempt to stop Bernie and help Biden.

I agree. I don't think a deal was ever made for the other moderates to drop out.

That said, why would a deal need to be made? Obama called Klobuchar and Buttigieg and encouraged them to drop out. If they were offered something, that would have leaked by now.

Most likely, they need the faster they dropped out the better possible future job they would get. It only took one. Booker, Beto, Klobuchar and Buttigieg all endorsed Biden within 24 hours. No one wanted to be the last one to endorse Biden to help their future careers.

Even Warren did this. Why did she wait until after Super Tuesday to drop out? She wanted to hurt Bernie, with the hope of being Biden's VP. Was a deal made? No but she decided to take this course for her own career.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2022, 04:39:51 AM »

We will never forget. And we will repay them in kind.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2022, 06:44:04 AM »

Oh yes, it's such an injustice that the candidate with a third of the vote was not nominated and someone else got to win a majority of the voters.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2022, 02:41:00 PM »

Oh yes, it's such an injustice that the candidate with a third of the vote was not nominated and someone else got to win a majority of the voters.

Very clearly not what this is about but go off
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2022, 02:42:37 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 02:47:46 PM by Pericles »

Very clearly not what this is about but go off

You don't have an inherent right to have your candidate nominated-the Democratic politicians have their right to support other candidates and the voters make the decision. There was nothing unfair about the primary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies