gun siezures don't reduce violent crime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:00:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  gun siezures don't reduce violent crime
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: gun siezures don't reduce violent crime  (Read 275 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2022, 06:24:11 AM »

duh
The Baltimore Police Department’s decades of gun seizures have not reduced violent crimes such as nonfatal shootings and murders. Through public information requests, Battleground Baltimore obtained the police department’s gun seizure numbers and other related police and crime data between 1990-2021—a time period of 31 years in which the city surpassed 300 homicides per year 17 times.

A close look at the data reveals what more and more people working in the criminal legal system across the country have argued: Seizing “illegal” guns does not reduce violent crime, although gun seizures and gun possession arrests remain metrics frequently cited by police (and praised as a prime example of “proactive policing”).

“The current intense focus on illegal gun possession without a license is having no effect on the gun violence crisis,” Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner wrote in a report released in January that looked at 2,000 shootings.

<snip>
not only that, but when cops excessively focus on guns they (rather obviously) harm black people at far higher rates than non-black people.
The behavior of Baltimore’s gun unit was extreme, but corruption among so-called “hard-charging” gun units is common. Last year, a former Metropolitan Police Department commander reached out to me because of the behavior they had seen within the Gun Recovery Unit, or “GRU,” in Washington, DC.

“Leadership focuses on how many guns GRU recovers and if an arrest is made with the recovery,” the former commander told me. “There is very little, if any, review of how the gun was recovered or how the arrest was made.”

Following George Floyd’s murder and nationwide demands for police accountability, New York City announced it would be disbanding its so-called “Anti-Crime” units, which operate similar to gun units in Baltimore and DC.

“The Anti-Crime units’ aggressive mentality seeded resentment. Frequent car stops and daily frisks in Black and Latino neighborhoods bred anger over a perceived disregard for residents’ constitutional rights,” George Joseph and Gabriel Sandoval wrote. “Because of the combative nature of their assignments, Anti-Crime and other plainclothes officers generated numerous civilian complaints and were at the center of a disproportionate number of fatal police shootings.”

As Fordham University Law Professor John Pfaff noted in Slate this week, New York City Mayor Eric Adams “promises to revive the NYPD’s undercover ‘anti-crime units’—disbanded in 2020 amid concerns about unconstitutional stops and excessive violence—and rechristen them ‘Neighborhood Safety Teams,’ deploying 400 to 500 officers on the streets to focus on ‘gun removals.’”

More broadly, Pfaff’s article is about the Philadelphia shootings report and how Krasner’s commentary and data analysis counters Adam’s much-ballyhooed tough-on-crime plan.

“Gun violence is an immediate concern,” Pfaff wrote. “But much of the data provided by the Philadelphia report…caution<s> that a broad-brush effort to stop the flow of guns may accomplish little on its own terms, and may even exacerbate some of the underlying causes of violence.”
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 08:08:04 AM »

Most pro gun control research only seems to look at gun violence, not overall violence.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 08:36:22 AM »

The only thing I can see is that very targeted gun control (like what Rick Scott signed into law as Governor) being successful at is preventing mass shootings maybe. I don't think it affects the crime rate that much.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 09:59:36 PM »

Gun Control is not about reducing Gun Crime.  Period.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 11:01:51 PM »

Therealnews.com tells us that a locality reducing the amount of guns doesn't really matter when millions of guns are being sold to idiots every year nationwide and can easily be trafficked into the city. Resident lolbertarian posts the thread like it's some kind of revelation. Fuzzy Bear seal of approval. And not a single brain cell was used that day.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 08:34:53 PM »

Most pro gun control research only seems to look at gun violence, not overall violence.

Because gun violence is the reason why gun control advocated support it, yeah. Makes sense to me.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 08:36:43 PM »

how the hell did this get 3 recommendations LMFAO
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 08:39:43 PM »

I believe it because just seizing guns is not the answer. We've got to get to the root causes of this problem and address it from there. Until we do, we are just spinning our wheels.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 08:47:28 PM »

Because gun violence is the reason why gun control advocated support it, yeah. Makes sense to me.
If gun control doesn't reduce overall violence, then all you're doing is replacing gun deaths with knife deaths.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies