Would you fight in Ukraine if drafted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:46:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you fight in Ukraine if drafted?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Would you fight in Ukraine if drafted?  (Read 1604 times)
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2022, 11:18:02 AM »

Yes. Kind of shocked by the number of cowards on Atlas. This is the result of a lack of honor in our individualist society.
It's Atlas... do you think the average poster here has ever ran a mile or seen the inside of a gym?

Yes, I know what the average Atlas user is like. That's why I bring a great deal of scorn and contempt to my usual posting.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2022, 11:19:52 AM »

Yes. Kind of shocked by the number of cowards on Atlas. This is the result of a lack of honor in our individualist society.

It's for the best. Most of the people on this site would be liabilities in a combat zone.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2022, 11:38:15 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 11:54:44 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Obviously not. My life is far more important. And I wouldn't want to harm the irreplaceable @danya.xxxl
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 12:09:12 PM »

100%. If the US goes to war with Ukraine I would volunteer if allowed (maybe?)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2022, 12:46:18 PM »

A draft won't happen. America's population is too fat and medicated. It'd be especially gross because the few people have bothered to care for themselves would be the ones punished. It's political suicide, and more importantly it's not necessary.

As for the question, I would choose to dodge the draft. I'm too tired to go to Ukraine and I've got a few more episodes left of Twin Peaks to rewatch. (By the way, happy February 24th to those who celebrate.)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2022, 01:48:54 PM »

Never. There's plenty of other brainwashed lemmings who don't care about their own individual selves who can fight and die anyway.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2022, 01:50:41 PM »

No
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »

Obviously, if you are over 40 you can't join military, you can join the reserves and if you have a disability you can't serve in combat or serve as a Commissioned officer.

So, serving in combat even in a draft is not certain and if we got into the War it would be an air War or sea war not a combat zone we would be bogged down in Ukraine forever I'd we went to War

But if youngsters  under 40 want their student loans discharge you can join Police or Military, and stop asking for a Discharge but you have to pass boot camp and you have to climb over a wall which is difficult

This should be the text of a military recruitment poster.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 02:57:17 PM »

Yes, but I imagine that given my poor health I would either be excused or given a non-combat role.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 03:32:31 PM »

It's Atlas... do you think the average poster here has ever ran a mile or seen the inside of a gym?
I mean, I did run a 1600m in 5:31 and my best record for the deadlift was 360lbs...

I'm nowhere near that level of fitness right now, but I could certainly get back there.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 04:08:42 PM »

I'm not going to weasel my way out like a coward when hundreds of thousands of other Americans are going to have no choice but to go. If your country calls, you answer.

This
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2022, 04:17:51 PM »

Hell no! I would never want to. I also have medical conditions that likely make me ineligible for service.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »

Yes, there's a military tradition on my dad's side of my family going back several generations and I'd be more than happy to continue that tradition onwards. However, I don't think my Aspergers would allow me to actively serve.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 04:26:17 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 04:31:11 PM by RoboWop »

I'm sure I could avoid the draft, but I would probably go to prison out of moral obligation, under current circumstances. If we were actually threatened at all, that would be a different story. But we haven't had even a hint at a Pearl Harbor-like event yet.

I'm not going to weasel my way out like a coward when hundreds of thousands of other Americans are going to have no choice but to go. If your country calls, you answer.

This wrongly implies the call would be made by my countrymen, who do not control the U.S. government.

The mistake in dulce et decorum est pro patria mori is never the dulce et decorum but often pro patria mori. I would gladly kill and die for my fatherland; my fatherland is not Ukraine.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2022, 04:31:36 PM »

I'm sure I could avoid the draft, but I would probably go to prison out of moral obligation, under current circumstances. If we were actually threatened at all, that would be a different story.

This wrongly implies the call would be made by my countrymen, who do not control the U.S. government.

The mistake in dulce et decorum est pro patria mori is never the dulce et decorum but often pro patria mori. I would gladly kill and die for my fatherland; my fatherland is not Ukraine.

My assumption is that if a draft is occurring, then it's escalated to a full-on world war, in which case it's a matter of national survival even if we're off fighting in some other country than the US. But I get your point.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »

My assumption is that if a draft is occurring, then it's escalated to a full-on world war, in which case it's a matter of national survival even if we're off fighting in some other country than the US. But I get your point.

I don't remain so optimistic in the face of the evidence: Vietnam and current agitation from the liberal internationalists. We could easily see an errant blow graze NATO in Romania or Turkey; our entangling European alliances could then trigger a draft without an immediate direct threat to U.S. soil.

In that case, I would also favor a nuclear option over sending an American army, but I wouldn't really be in the position to make that call. I would be forced to dissent.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2022, 06:02:17 PM »

For Russia, yes.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2022, 07:33:42 PM »

If the US entered into the war (or was about to, I suppose), I'd volunteer for the Navy. If there's going to be massive mobilization and a draft, I might as well choose what I do instead of having that decision made for me. Why the Navy? I'm less likely to die in what is mostly a land war, Russia's Navy is an antique Soviet-era museum, and big ships are cool.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2022, 07:34:59 PM »

I am going to conscientiously object to fighting for any faction of the man.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2022, 10:52:26 PM »

Multiple ways of looking at this, for me:

1. War is ultimately when old rich men talk and poor young men die. My place in this life is not the battlefield, and if you live by the sword then so shall you die by it.

2. I don't have that much to live for and if I get killed I don't really care, so why not?

3. Ukraine is not my country, I have never been to Ukraine, and I never planned on going to Ukraine. I have no connection whatsoever to the country even though I do support Ukraine in its conflict.

Ultimately though, I am not draft-eligible because of my age and mental health problems, which would exclude me from volunteer service as well. It's a moot point.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2022, 11:09:48 PM »

I am a patriotic enough person that I like to think that I would go and fight if drafted, yes.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »

I wouldn’t have a way to avoid it and I don’t have much else going on in my life, so yes.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2022, 11:43:38 PM »

A draft won't happen. America's population is too fat and medicated. It'd be especially gross because the few people have bothered to care for themselves would be the ones punished. It's political suicide, and more importantly it's not necessary.

As for the question, I would choose to dodge the draft. I'm too tired to go to Ukraine and I've got a few more episodes left of Twin Peaks to rewatch. (By the way, happy February 24th to those who celebrate.)
Something like 70% of US youth are ineligible to join the military anyway, with the two main issues being that they are too unhealthy to join or cannot pass the Armed Forces Qualification Test

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/us-youth-ineligible-for-military-service-3322428#:~:text=At%20least%2071%20percent%20of,constant%20flow%20of%20qualified%20volunteers.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2022, 11:46:11 PM »

My eyesight is way too bad to be an asset to the United States military. Would happily serve in a non-combat position though.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2022, 01:30:32 AM »

My past and current mental health issues make me completely unfit for military duty. If I was mentally able, I'd think it would be the right thing to do, but would likely be to cowardly to do it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies