Should all 'yes' or all 'no' responses to proposals be an option on the ballot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:54:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should all 'yes' or all 'no' responses to proposals be an option on the ballot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Should all 'yes' or all 'no' responses to proposals be an option on the ballot?  (Read 692 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:10:48 AM »

I'll say yes.  I figure, why not-if Straight Party ticket voting is allowable-by circling one thing, then Straight "Yes" or Straight "no" voting should also be an option.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:22:54 AM »

No... while all people under the "D" or "R" column are likely to have something common between them, propositions have no such common adhesion.  If this was enabled, people would word propositions like "Shall we not spend $500 million on a bridge to nowhere?" and would immediately get the guaranteed vote of every libertarian who thinks they're voting against a government expenditure. Tongue
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:15:09 AM »

No... while all people under the "D" or "R" column are likely to have something common between them, propositions have no such common adhesion.  If this was enabled, people would word propositions like "Shall we not spend $500 million on a bridge to nowhere?" and would immediately get the guaranteed vote of every libertarian who thinks they're voting against a government expenditure. Tongue

You're getting off topic-to say that proposals are badly worded, and I don't think that will ever change.  But-there're plenty of cases that the Democrats, or Republicans are vastly different.  I think that it's stupid to put such blind faith in 20 different candidates only because they're of one party.  A "Yes" or "No" straight proposal vote would serve as a cop-out response for those that do straight party vote, so they wouldn't have to think...  Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 03:21:32 AM »

You're getting off topic-to say that proposals are badly worded, and I don't think that will ever change.  But-there're plenty of cases that the Democrats, or Republicans are vastly different.  I think that it's stupid to put such blind faith in 20 different candidates only because they're of one party.  A "Yes" or "No" straight proposal vote would serve as a cop-out response for those that do straight party vote, so they wouldn't have to think...  Tongue

Well, I don't support straight-ticket voting either, so I don't have to justify it. Tongue
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 08:55:39 AM »

No. I would fear that the sides were bicker and argue as to the wording on the ballot so that their plank would get the "Yes" or "No" options.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 02:22:26 PM »

No, and the 'straight party' checkbox should go away as well.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 01:06:10 AM »

No.  I don't like the idea of straight party ballots either. (fortunately, I've never seen one).  I tend to cross party lines liberally (so to speak), and prefer to judge the individual candidates rather than the party.

If someone wants to vote a straight party line, let them mark their ballot accordingly.  If they're too lazy to mark a few more boxes, they can stay home and leave the vote to those of us who care enough to mark each and every candidate we support.

Presidential tickets are a whole other animal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies