If Trump was still President, would Russia have invaded Ukraine already?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:06:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Trump was still President, would Russia have invaded Ukraine already?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: If Trump was still President, would Russia have invaded Ukraine already?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: If Trump was still President, would Russia have invaded Ukraine already?  (Read 1927 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2022, 06:42:49 PM »

"Delusional. Russia's desire for the territory wouldn't be any different. The thing that would be different is that President Trump wouldn't have cared if Putin took the whole country."
Weakness is provocative. Biden is not respected at all by Putin or Xi. In fact, he is somehow less respected than the black guy from a few years ago.

Trump was respected as a strong leader with real popular support who they could work with.

Trump was "respected" because he explicitly endorsed their goals. He told Xi that Uighur concentration camps were good. He openly supported Russia's annexation of Crimea. He would obviously be vocally encouraging Putin to attack Ukraine now.

Putin decision to attack Ukraine is not hinging on whether the American president is "weak" or "strong" anyway.
But I'm sure it would be nice to have a US president signaling support to theworld, which is what he would have in the dark dystopic timeline where Trump is still president.

I vehemently disagree with the underlined part.

Biden and Harris are a big drop from Obama.  We'll leave Trump out of this for a second; he's a big drop from Biden, and Harris makes Quayle look like a genius.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »

Yes, and Trump probably would've tweeted about reuniting the two.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2022, 07:33:26 PM »

Yes, Trump didn't give two sh**s about Ukraine. If he did, he wouldn't have tried to blackmail the President of Ukraine and threaten to withhold foreign aid if they didn't find dirt on Joe Biden. Not to mention with people like Tucker Carlson, who's defending Russia, having Trump's ear, it's very easy to see him letting it happen.

But I think the argument some here have made that Putin wouldn't invade due to Trump already achieving Putin's goal of destabilizing the West by breaking western alliances and breaking international institutions (NATO in particular) is a strong one.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2022, 10:44:20 PM »

I suspect that, facing threats from both Putin and Trump to bow to Putin's wishes, Zelenskyy's government would have caved or collapsed.

Zelensky is a tough courageous leader, he stood up to Trump's attempts to blackmail the Ukraine. It would be much harder for him to stand up to both Putin and Trump at the same time.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2022, 03:17:15 AM »

No and we wouldn't of gotten involved either
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2022, 11:47:34 AM »

No and we wouldn't of gotten involved either

He gave Crimea to Putin
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2022, 11:54:33 AM »

Thread is funny for three reasons:

(1) The false assumption that because something Biden supporters believe to be bad happens under Biden, it would also happen under Trump
(2) The acknowledgment from supporters of Biden that something bad from their perspective is happening.
(3) The underlying fear that Trump will be president again in three years.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2022, 01:58:07 PM »

Somehow it's Trump's fault even though Obama was the guy who stood by and let it happen.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2022, 03:40:49 PM »

Somehow, I have the feeling you guys are saying this for opposite reasons...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »

1. Russia has already invaded the Ukraine.

The fact that you're calling it "the Ukraine" instead of "Ukraine" makes you an even bigger Putin simp than serg or anyone else here. C'mon man!
WPADEM
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2022, 05:07:32 PM »

1. Russia has already invaded the Ukraine. It happened under a certain president by the name of Barack Obama. Of course, at that time Mr. Obama refused to call it an invasion for fear of offending Russia. (Had this occurred under Trump, liberals would have screamed bloody murder, but that's another story.) The invasion is ongoing.

2. Now that the Beijing Olympics are over, it is highly unlike Russia will invade Ukraine, although nothing can be ruled out. Russia's M.O. in past invasions (Georgia 2008, Ukraine 2014) is to invade at around the time of Olympics. Russia's other M.O. is that if they want to deploy troops to an area, like Kazahkstan this year, Syria in 2015 or Georgia or Ukraine in the above aforementioned examples, they typically just do it and do not wait around for weeks and months as the invasion is repeatedly pre-announced by U.S. intelligence officials. Giving one's opponent time to prepare is generally bad from the standpoint of military tactics.

3. The most disappointing aspect of all of this has been Biden, Harris, and "senior administration officials" repeatedly saying Putin had already given the order to invade and that it was going to imminently happen. In the best case scenario if no invasion happens they will all have shown themselves as liars. Of course they will probably portray themselves as heroes who "averted" a, for all we know, nonexistent "invasion order".

What could Obama have done about Crimea though? Looking back he should not have drawn that Red Line over Syria.

I think Obama truly wanted to get us out of these conflicts in the Middle East but was caught in an awkward position where if we reduced our presence, these countries would fall into chaos.  Even though there was little he could do to stop that besides commit us to to remaining engaged in these countries for a long time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2022, 05:08:37 PM »

Putin had four years to act with Trump in the White House and didn't. That fact is a serious problem for the "yes" narrative.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2022, 05:09:54 PM »

Since Trump was at odds with the generals at times and since people on the left say he weakend our country, our international standing, NATO, and our national security, it seems that 2017-2019 (before COVID) would have been super ideal for Russia to strike.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2022, 05:20:50 PM »

Putin had four years to act with Trump in the White House and didn't. That fact is a serious problem for the "yes" narrative.

Things take time, don't they? It's not like you can just put together an invasion on a whim.

For example, Bush had been president for what, 26 months?, when the invasion of Iraq started.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2022, 05:24:45 PM »

Things take time, don't they? It's not like you can just put together an invasion on a whim.

For example, Bush had been president for what, 26 months?, when the invasion of Iraq started.

It's not like Russia's encroachment on their neighbors is a new development. I mean, they invaded Crimea in 2014.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2022, 06:44:39 PM »

It's not like Russia's encroachment on their neighbors is a new development. I mean, they invaded Crimea in 2014.

I ... didn't say it was?

I can't imagine that anyone on this entire forum is going to deny that Trump would not raise any objection to Russia invading and annexing the Russian-speaking portions of Ukraine. I mean, obviously, right?

Therefore, if Trump were still president, Putin would be having an easier time getting this done. People can still lurve Trump while also acknowledging that undeniable truth.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2022, 07:03:21 PM »

I ... didn't say it was?

I can't imagine that anyone on this entire forum is going to deny that Trump would not raise any objection to Russia invading and annexing the Russian-speaking portions of Ukraine. I mean, obviously, right?

Therefore, if Trump were still president, Putin would be having an easier time getting this done. People can still lurve Trump while also acknowledging that undeniable truth.

If Trump is so good for Russia why is Russia only (in recent times) moving against Ukraine in such a hostile way with Democrats in the White House (e.g., Obama, Biden)?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2022, 07:35:42 PM »

I ... didn't say it was?

If Trump is so good for Russia why is Russia only (in recent times) moving against Ukraine in such a hostile way with Democrats in the White House (e.g., Obama, Biden)?

Because it's a gross oversimplification to think that Russia is capable of doing what it wants any time it wants. The logistics are very complicated, and the identity of the US president is not the only factor.

Your side keeps spinning this idea that Putin views Biden as weaker than Trump and therefore he can get away with this under Biden, but that's a non sequitur, because as I've repeatedly said and no one has disputed, Trump wouldn't have objected to Russia invading in the first place.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2022, 09:02:19 PM »

I ... didn't say it was?

Because it's a gross oversimplification to think that Russia is capable of doing what it wants any time it wants. The logistics are very complicated, and the identity of the US president is not the only factor.

Your side keeps spinning this idea that Putin views Biden as weaker than Trump and therefore he can get away with this under Biden, but that's a non sequitur, because as I've repeatedly said and no one has disputed, Trump wouldn't have objected to Russia invading in the first place.

The idea that Putin could not marshal an invasion in four years under favorable conditions and suddenly was able to manage it after Biden took office is bizarre to say the least. The more likely explanation seems that Putin did not want to take an aggressive tack while Trump was in office. I can think of a few potential reasons for that.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2022, 09:11:44 PM »

Trump managed to go through an entire term with no new wars and no Russian expansion.  The issues in Ukraine during the Obama years didn't go away.

Biden is senile, Harris is incompetent, and Putin is an "Intel Guy" that knows it.  He's exploiting these factors.  Trump was a strong President in that he was not afraid to take unconventional risks for peace and other leaders understood that.  They also understood that Trump would not draw red lines he wasn't willing to cross.

Trump was also unencumbered by "what the rest of the world thinks".  Most of that means concern for the multinational corporations, etc.  Trump was, truly, American First, and that very fact was a deterrant.  Putin is Russia First; he understands that.

LMAO.
trump was nothing but a psychotic NutJob, and a president who disgraced himself and the USA, when he stood in front of the world with Putin by his side, and told everyone he believed Putin over our own surveillance agencies/departments.
trump did all this because he didn't have the balls to say anything against Putin, in his presence. Orange Coward.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2022, 09:11:51 PM »

I ... didn't say it was?

The idea that Putin could not marshal an invasion in four years under favorable conditions and suddenly was able to manage it after Biden took office is bizarre to say the least. The more likely explanation seems that Putin did not want to take an aggressive tack while Trump was in office. I can think of a few potential reasons for that.

How is that bizarre? The world doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are countless factors at play, many of which have nothing to do with the US.

The overarching fact here, though, that you're dancing around is that Trump would not be engaging in any diplomacy to prevent a war like Biden is doing. He would almost certainly have publicly signaled an indifference to whether Ukraine gets invaded, if not parroting talking points about how Ukraine is rightfully part of Russia's sphere of influence.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2022, 09:28:25 PM »

I ... didn't say it was?

How is that bizarre? The world doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are countless factors at play, many of which have nothing to do with the US.

The overarching fact here, though, that you're dancing around is that Trump would not be engaging in any diplomacy to prevent a war like Biden is doing. He would almost certainly have publicly signaled an indifference to whether Ukraine gets invaded, if not parroting talking points about how Ukraine is rightfully part of Russia's sphere of influence.

What you ignore is that Putin has numerous geopolitical goals that he can realize without ever placing one boot inside of Ukraine. Would Trump have worked this hard to stop invasion? Probably not, but I doubt invasion would even be on the table if Trump were president.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2022, 09:39:45 PM »

What you ignore is that Putin has numerous geopolitical goals that he can realize without ever placing one boot inside of Ukraine. Would Trump have worked this hard to stop invasion? Probably not, but I doubt invasion would even be on the table if Trump were president.

Well that's probably pretty ignorant of you. I guess we'll never know for sure.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2022, 09:42:17 PM »

Trump managed to go through an entire term with no new wars and no Russian expansion.  The issues in Ukraine during the Obama years didn't go away.

Biden is senile, Harris is incompetent, and Putin is an "Intel Guy" that knows it.  He's exploiting these factors.  Trump was a strong President in that he was not afraid to take unconventional risks for peace and other leaders understood that.  They also understood that Trump would not draw red lines he wasn't willing to cross.

Trump was also unencumbered by "what the rest of the world thinks".  Most of that means concern for the multinational corporations, etc.  Trump was, truly, American First, and that very fact was a deterrant.  Putin is Russia First; he understands that.

LMAO.
trump was nothing but a psychotic NutJob, and a president who disgraced himself and the USA, when he stood in front of the world with Putin by his side, and told everyone he believed Putin over our own surveillance agencies/departments.
trump did all this because he didn't have the balls to say anything against Putin, in his presence. Orange Coward.

Reported for Excessive Hyperbole and Trolling.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2022, 06:40:35 AM »

To all the geniuses who think that Putin would do it under Trump and Trump wouldn't dare to do anything:

Why didn't Putin do that then when Trump was Pres? It's literally his priority number 1 - why wait if you have a puppet in WH?  Angry

The answer is obviously... no, Putin wouldn't invade Ukraine, nor would he bluff or whatever he's doing right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies