Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:56:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages  (Read 2542 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: February 16, 2022, 12:24:55 PM »

lol, not a chance

That'll go about as well as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints' similar effort.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 01:02:55 PM »

Although Swaziland -> Eswatini has gained ground so much that Wikipedia now uses the latter as the primary name.

Why? You don't call Istanbul Constantinople anymore.

Those are both different words from the previous, not less-familiar and less-phonetically-intuitive versions of the same word. Heck, in Eswatini's case, it's arguably easier to read and pronounce than Swaziland. Your parallels make no sense.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »

Although Swaziland -> Eswatini has gained ground so much that Wikipedia now uses the latter as the primary name.

Why? You don't call Istanbul Constantinople anymore.

Those are both different words from the previous, not less-familiar and less-phonetically-intuitive versions of the same word. Heck, in Eswatini's case, it's arguably easier to read and pronounce than Swaziland. Your parallels make no sense.

You think so? I think “Swaziland” is remarkably intuitive to read and pronounce. But that’s probably because “land” is an English word to begin with.

The "land" part is fairly straightforward, sure, but "swazi" strikes me as a rather disharmonious combination of phonemes, and the two pieces don't mesh well together at all. "Eswatini" rolls off the tongue much more naturally to me. Maybe I'm thinking of it more from the perspective of a Romance language speaker than an English one though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »

...no?? Huh

u is [y]
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: