Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Erdogan wants people to call Turkey "Türkiye" even in English and other languages  (Read 2541 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 16, 2022, 12:22:54 PM »

I'm not typing that umlaut.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »

One of the great unresolved challenges of human language will always be translating proper nouns. 

If the current fashion of preferring local spelling/pronunciation is taken to its logical conclusion, then there is no reason "Beijing" won't be printed as 北京 in the English-language newspapers of tomorrow.   
Actually, that's how you spell an old name for the former capital of Japan. Get it right, smh.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 12:59:50 PM »

Irrespective of what one thinks of Erdogan, this is a hard request to oblige. I'm not typing umlauts. Maybe I'll do Turkiye if I get in the habit, but that's without umlauts.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 02:23:33 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 02:53:52 AM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

To be fair, it would be really cool if people started calling every country by how it’s called domestically.

Not all countries have a single native name though as more than one language is spoken there. Should Ireland be Ireland (English) or Éire (Irish)? Should Finland be Suomi (Finnish) or Finland (Swedish)? Should Switzerland be Schweiz (German), Suisse (French), Svizzera (Italian)?  
Exonyms are perfectly acceptable, and are far from inherently worse. Difference in what places are called across languages is a reflection of how diverse we are as a species.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies