Ann Coulter possibly guilty of a felony
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:01:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ann Coulter possibly guilty of a felony
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ann Coulter possibly guilty of a felony  (Read 1851 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2006, 02:26:33 AM »

Columnist Coulter in hot water over voting

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) -- Conservative columnist Ann Coulter has refused to cooperate in an investigation into whether she voted in the wrong precinct, so the case will probably be turned over to prosecutors, Palm Beach County's elections chief said Wednesday.

Elections Supervisor Arthur Anderson said his office has been looking into the matter for nearly nine months, and he would turn over the case to the state attorney's office by Friday.

Coulter's attorney did not immediately return a call Wednesday. Nor did her publicist at her publisher, Crown Publishing.

Knowingly voting in the wrong precinct is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Anderson's office received a complaint in February that Coulter voted in the wrong precinct during a February 7 Palm Beach town council election.

Anderson said a letter was sent to Coulter on March 27 requesting that she clarify her address for the voting records "or face the possibility of her voter registration being rescinded." Three more letters were sent to Coulter and her attorney, but she has yet to respond with the information requested, Anderson said.

In July, Anderson said, he received a letter from Coulter's attorney, Marcos Daniel Jimenez D'Clouet. The letter said the attorney would only discuss the matter in person or by telephone because, he complained, Anderson had given details to the media. Anderson said the matter had to be discussed in writing.

The right-wing commentator also authored a book that said some September 11 widows were "enjoying their husbands' deaths."
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 02:30:18 AM »

HAHAHAHAHA  This is hilarious. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 02:37:59 AM »

It was bound to happen sooner or later, but one name strikes me, and doesn't strike a good tone.  Arthur Anderson.  Again, I'm sure this person is not a crook, but he doesn't have a name that carries a lot of credibility.

Though I don't care much for Ann, I can't help but wonder if liberals aren't just trying to throw her in jail for five years to shut her up and keep her, from voicing her opinions however controversial they may be.  If they are, then shame on the liberals.  If Ann actually did something wrong, then give her the five years.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 02:39:35 AM »

I'm not sure which of these is funnier:

1. That Ann Coulter would do something this dumb
2. That this is worth five years in prison
3. How Marcos Daniel Jimenez D'Clouet, who may have the most ethnic name ever, is Ann Coulter's lawyer
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 02:58:46 AM »

I agree that 5 years in prison is harsh for this. Still, as a law-and-order conservative, I'm sure she supports giving herself the full sentence. Can't start going soft on crime now. Smiley Especially vote fraud.

Someone ought to dig up some quotes she must've had about Democratic vote fraud in Florida in 2000. Should be interesting. Smiley Even more interesting that she did this in Palm Beach County.

The fact that she's completely failed to cooperate with the investigation doesn't bode well for the possibilty that she's innocent.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 03:10:59 AM »

5 years is a ridiculously long time to go to jail for something like this, but you know what?  I find it really hard to lift a finger to do anything to benefit Ann Coulter. Tongue
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 03:28:11 AM »

I'm sure she will find a way to blame the great big liberal conspiracy against her.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 03:52:54 AM »

It's illegal to vote fifteen minutes down the road, in the same district? Isn't there at least a 'out of area' booth?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 06:57:11 AM »

It's illegal to vote fifteen minutes down the road, in the same district? Isn't there at least a 'out of area' booth?

Based on the phrasing, it's unclear, but I'm not sure why they'd want her to clarify her registration location unless she is also registered in the wrong precinct.

A precinct is different than a polling place, but are used interchangeably; typically, there are several - even a lot - of precincts per polling place.  Oftentimes, the media switches the two.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 07:38:22 AM »

I'm sure she will find a way to blame the great big liberal conspiracy against her.

I love how they actually go after a famous individual for something so dumb as this. Snowbirds (yankees) come down here and quite often vote in their home state + Florida and no one is ever prosecuted for it. The respective states just turn their heads the other way.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 08:24:20 AM »

Hello Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 08:27:35 AM »

The only problem is the scab probably has a good defense, since she has pissed off half the country.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 08:28:25 AM »

Life in solitary. Shut her up permanently.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 09:51:52 AM »

I love how they actually go after a famous individual for something so dumb as this. Snowbirds (yankees) come down here and quite often vote in their home state + Florida and no one is ever prosecuted for it. The respective states just turn their heads the other way.

It may not be fair that non-famous people get away with it, but why should that mean famous people should get off free?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 09:57:25 AM »

It may not be fair that non-famous people get away with it, but why should that mean famous people should get off free?

A five year prison term? A bit harsh don't you think? I'm not saying its not wrong but if they are going to go after her then it's only fair to start going after people who double vote, etc more aggressively.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 09:59:48 AM »

I assume that, like most elections organisations, they're going based on reports, now.  After all, election workers simply have neither the time nor the resources nor really even the legal reason to go for these voters.

Independent groups do exist in other states; someone should form one in Florida, if it doesn't already exist.

I do think it is harsh (although I absolutely think Coulter would be in favour of it Wink), but it's still the law.  Coulter certainly knows better, if she did do this.  I can't fathom why she would.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 10:01:31 AM »

Like the law says, the exemption is for people who are in spot-light positions (police, politicians, etc).  I could argue that the scab meets that requirement.  Imagine if her home address was listed.  Can you imagine some of the weirdo's that might try to harass her?  Maybe vandalize her personal property?  She has an application in for this reason, and I could see validating it (though it might be fun to see some of the graffiti that someone might do on her front wall or driveway).

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 10:12:41 AM »

Like the law says, the exemption is for people who are in spot-light positions (police, politicians, etc).  I could argue that the scab meets that requirement.  Imagine if her home address was listed.  Can you imagine some of the weirdo's that might try to harass her?  Maybe vandalize her personal property?  She has an application in for this reason, and I could see validating it (though it might be fun to see some of the graffiti that someone might do on her front wall or driveway).

I'd imagine that Florida has an option to hide voter registrations in cases where people are harassed/stalked.  I imagine every state does.  It's no excuse to commit voter fraud, though.

Home addresses for famous people are not all that difficult to find out anyway.  Bill Gates' is in the voter database here, as are all the other figures - controversial and otherwise - that I can think of.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 10:25:44 AM »

One of the many reasons why I enjoy not being famous.  Tongue
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 10:41:58 AM »

Ann Coulter in hot water? Couldn't have happened to a nicer woman Grin

Dave
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 01:11:53 PM »

Al, was that really States making a two post cameo and then disappearing?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 03:14:34 PM »

The obvious intent of the law is to keep people from voting in an election they ought not to.  I know that if I could go precinct shopping to vote in some different races this year I would (SC House 96 is a far more intereating race than SC House 39 this year), but I can't so I shan't.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »

A precinct is different than a polling place, but are used interchangeably; typically, there are several - even a lot - of precincts per polling place.  Oftentimes, the media switches the two.

Not in South Carolina.  The rule here is that each precinct has its own polling place.  Also, no precinct is supposed to have more than 1500 registered voters, so as to keep from having long lines or parking problems.  That last rule sometimes gets honored in the breech, but the State did a rather complete job of splitting oversized precincts up in time for the 2004 election.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »

I agree that 5 years in prison is harsh for this. Still, as a law-and-order conservative, I'm sure she supports giving herself the full sentence. Can't start going soft on crime now. Smiley Especially vote fraud.

Someone ought to dig up some quotes she must've had about Democratic vote fraud in Florida in 2000. Should be interesting. Smiley Even more interesting that she did this in Palm Beach County.

The fact that she's completely failed to cooperate with the investigation doesn't bode well for the possibilty that she's innocent.

It seems strange that she'd do something this stupid, but who knows?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 10:31:43 PM »

Will he go to a man prison? hmmmmm......
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies