1972: The Democratic ticket is Edmund Muskie/Walter Mondale
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:36:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1972: The Democratic ticket is Edmund Muskie/Walter Mondale
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1972: The Democratic ticket is Edmund Muskie/Walter Mondale  (Read 560 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2022, 02:23:07 PM »

Would they do better than McGovern? What would their result mean for the future of the Democratic Party?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 02:35:32 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2022, 02:38:58 PM by Adjective-Statism »

President Richard Nixon (R-CA) / Vice President Spiro Agnew (R-MD) ✓
Senator Edmund Muskie (D-ME) / Senator Walter Mondale (D-MN)

Carter (if nominated) picks someone else like John Glenn, Frank Church, or Henry Jackson as his running mate in 1976. There's bigger implications for Muskie winning the nomination in the first place, though: did Nixon not interfere in the primaries? No Watergate?
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »

President Richard Nixon (R-CA) / Vice President Spiro Agnew (R-MD) ✓
Senator Edmund Muskie (D-ME) / Senator Walter Mondale (D-MN)

Carter (if nominated) picks someone else like John Glenn, Frank Church, or Henry Jackson as his running mate in 1976. There's bigger implications for Muskie winning the nomination in the first place, though: did Nixon not interfere in the primaries? No Watergate?

I think this map might be too kind to the Dems. I doubt they'd do that well in the Pacific NW & Midwest. McGovern is clearly the floor for Dems in 1972 but I'm not sure the ceiling would be much higher with Nixon's popularity at an all-time high around the election.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 06:43:57 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2022, 06:48:58 PM by Adjective-Statism »

I think this map might be too kind to the Dems. I doubt they'd do that well in the Pacific NW & Midwest. McGovern is clearly the floor for Dems in 1972 but I'm not sure the ceiling would be much higher with Nixon's popularity at an all-time high around the election.

That's fair, I spent a lot of time deliberating over those states. Northwest maybe, but Mondale would be a boost in the Midwest because of his strong ties to labor. This just seems like a decent ticket for the time.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 08:20:15 PM »

That's fair, I spent a lot of time deliberating over those states. Northwest maybe, but Mondale would be a boost in the Midwest because of his strong ties to labor. This just seems like a decent ticket for the time.

Probably the best possible ticket for the Dems in 72. While DOA, they  might do really well downballot in this scenario.
PRESIDENT STANTON II
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 07:09:42 AM »

But would have Mondale sacrificed his Senate seat?If I recall, Mondale was appointed to Humphrey's old Senate seat, after Humphrey was elected Vice President in 1964; Mondale had to run in 1966 and was up for reelection in 1972; perhaps Minnesota has the "LBJ law", which means that a law maker can seek two federal positions simultaneously.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies