SB 107-16: Gun Rights Day Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 107-16: Gun Rights Day Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 107-16: Gun Rights Day Resolution (Passed)  (Read 1132 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2022, 03:11:10 AM »
« edited: February 17, 2022, 11:26:59 PM by Senator WD, PPT »

AN ACT
To designate January 25th as Gun Rights Day

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia asssembled

Section 1. Title

This legislation shall be cited as the Gun Rights Day Act.

Section 2. Findings

The Senate hereby acknowledges the following:

1. The passing of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Full Repeal Act is a victory for gun rights.

2. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Section 3. Designation of January 25th as "Gun Rights Day"

Upon passage of this law, January 25th is officially recognized as Gun Rights Day. No part of this legislation shall be construed to interpret this as a federal holiday of any sort.

Sponsor: Ishan

The gentleman from Northern Ireland is recognized.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 04:20:08 AM »

tonight we dine in the sufficiently suglescent blood of the fire lord. under hIs eye.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 04:26:01 AM »

I'm not signing any more gun-related bills.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 06:21:46 AM »

I guess the only solution now is to send Ishan to the White House once the President leaves office. Wink

Don't know where else to put this but I will go ahead and endorse Cao and Ishan should either or both run for re-election. Both have been excellent Senators this session and I would be glad to see them return to Nyman again.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 07:31:38 AM »

This is merely about a holiday. No more intrusive or partisan than say a national holiday for only 1 political party but not the others.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 10:00:19 AM »

This act institutes a day for gun rights, an important right that we, the people should have. This isn't a holiday, so I see little reason to object to this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 12:38:55 PM »

I just don't see the point of this bill. I gave the Feds everything they wanted. I redrafted the AWB repeal to make it a "full repeal". I issued a blanket pardon.

And I fought tooth and nail with friends in my own party every time the issue came up. Many times.

I support gun rights. But I am dismissing the issue for the remainder of my term. If you're unsatisfied with the outcome, after hours of me bending over backwards for people and ultimately giving the Feds everything they want, but I don't want to sign this particular bill, then I'm sorry. You'll all be rid of me in March.

This is merely about a holiday. No more intrusive or partisan than say a national holiday for only 1 political party but not the others.

And you'll notice that I redrafted that bill to be about the individuals in question (Nathan and Antonio) who are widely respected across the spectrum.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 12:51:15 PM »

I just don't see the point of this bill. I gave the Feds everything they wanted. I redrafted the AWB repeal to make it a "full repeal". I issued a blanket pardon.

And I fought tooth and nail with friends in my own party every time the issue came up. Many times.

I support gun rights. But I am dismissing the issue for the remainder of my term. If you're unsatisfied with the outcome, after hours of me bending over backwards for people and ultimately giving the Feds everything they want, but I don't want to sign this particular bill, then I'm sorry. You'll all be rid of me in March.

And you'll notice that I redrafted that bill to be about the individuals in question (Nathan and Antonio) who are widely respected across the spectrum.
This is bullsh!t and you know it, Scott. You acted on your own personal ideological principle and values by backing the AWB repeal. It passed with the support of 3 senators elected with Labor votes while 2 senators elected mostly by Federalist votes voted against it. The fact that your hatred for right wingers on here is making you oppose further gun rights legislation just shows why you're not getting the support of Federalists. You cast your lot with the Labor tribe, and will choose to be pushed around by them when it really matters. Don't feel like it's about you personally since I'm sure whoever Labor runs (if they win) will be worse and continue to keep this game dead.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 01:08:20 PM »

This is bullsh!t and you know it, Scott. You acted on your own personal ideological principle and values by backing the AWB repeal. It passed with the support of 3 senators elected with Labor votes while 2 senators elected mostly by Federalist votes voted against it. The fact that your hatred for right wingers on here is making you oppose further gun rights legislation just shows why you're not getting the support of Federalists. You cast your lot with the Labor tribe, and will choose to be pushed around by them when it really matters. Don't feel like it's about you personally since I'm sure whoever Labor runs (if they win) will be worse and continue to keep this game dead.

First of all, it's very bizarre that you're accusing me of "hatred for right wingers", considering I am on very good personal terms with Mr. R, shua, Sanchez, even fhtagn, and talk to these people regularly.

What does the fact that I signed repeal of a policy I long opposed have to do with the fact that the Feds got a f#cking olive branch? Just ask OBD about that. Ask windjammer about that.

My new policy of not being pushed around by whiny bitches remains in place.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 02:22:05 PM »

I am truly appreciative of your courageous leadership in consistently standing up for our right to own and carry weapons. Just noting that a feel good resolution like this need not be partisan and doesnt diminish gun control for supporters of such. I remain very truly yours with the most affection, Mr. R. Smiley
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 02:33:14 PM »

I think this would be better as a resolution, thinking more and as such, I will be introducing an amendment to make this a resolution.

AN ACT A RESOLUTION
To designate January 25th as Gun Rights Day

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia asssembled

Section 1. Title

This legislation shall be cited as the Gun Rights Day Act Resolution.

Section 2. Findings

The Senate hereby acknowledges the following:

1. The passing of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Full Repeal Act is a victory for gun rights.

2. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Section 3. Designation of January 25th as "Gun Rights Day"

Upon passage of this law resolution, January 25th is officially recognized as Gun Rights Day. No part of this legislation shall be construed to interpret this as a federal holiday of any sort.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 02:33:51 PM »

What an incredibly stupid bill
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 02:37:06 PM »

24 hours to object
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 04:03:34 PM »

I don't care for this bill. Nor do I care for relitigating the gun control debate for the nth time, jesus.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 05:26:14 PM »

Motion to table
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 09:54:30 PM »

This should be a national holiday tbh
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 09:30:30 PM »

For a change, Reactionary isn't wrong:

This bill is pretty harmless one way or another, and I see absolutely no earthly reason to veto it (letting it pass without your signature is probably fine, but vetoing it, if that's what you mean, is another story). It makes no sense to refuse to sign a bill that tackles an important issue even at face value, and this bill doesn't even do that; all it does is recognize January 25 as gun rights day.

So while I'm lean opposed to it, I couldn't care less one way or another about it's passage - I might vote present on it or abstain - and it's probably a bottom priority for me as compared to all other bills / talking to constituents.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 10:47:08 PM »

This is insulting to the millions of people who do not support the assault weapons ban, as well as to the families of mass shooting victims, and it tries to impose one definition of gun rights on the entire nation.

I was wondering when the first Covid case arrived in Atlasia because that would be a similar date. It turns out it was the 21 January, 2020. I think it would be more appropriate to have a day to commemorate that, to mourn the victims of the pandemic and to appreciate our essential workers.

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 10:58:13 PM »

Ishan’s amendment is adopted.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 12:22:42 AM »

I'd like to motion for a final vote here!
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 12:28:29 AM »

24 hours to object
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 05:37:23 AM »

Objecting.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 02:06:10 PM »

Objection being raised, a vote to invoke Cloture is open. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 02:16:46 PM »

Aye
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix