Bush: Botched remark or Frightening Insult
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:15:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush: Botched remark or Frightening Insult
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush: Botched remark or Frightening Insult  (Read 1109 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:13:23 AM »

In view of Senator John Kerry's botched joke about Bush (or his open and obvious attack on our troops if you believe Karl Rove)...I suggest we review another remark that could be taken two ways...

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."   Beelzebush, 08-04

Hmmm.  Perhaps the President actually meant it that way?  That his administration never rests and never stops looking for new ways to harm America.  Or perhaps he misspoke.

Either way, he should apologize immediately.  Right?
nlm
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:46:38 AM »

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."   Beelzebush, 08-04

An oldie but a goodie.

Don't try and confuse Karl Rove and crew with reason - they just aren't going to fall for it. Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »

hahaha . . . unlike Bush's gaffe (which is obvious of what he really meant to say), Kerry's comment is not obvious.  Even when placed in context with what was said right before and afterwards, it sticks out as a sore thumb.  I compare this better with Allen's Macaca moment.  Allen was trying to be funny, and it was taken as an insult.  Therefore, he apologized (multiple times).  Kerry needs to do the same.  (Of course, I doubt the Washington Post will run 100 articles on Kerry's gaffe as they did with Allen's.)
nlm
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 11:58:59 AM »

Yeah, it's like the George Allen "macaca" moment because Kerry used a racial slur and then trotted out half a dozen different reasons for it while he was in the middle of an election campaign in the state that the Washington Post covers closer than any other. That's the ticket.

What ever.

Kerry did issue an apology for the confusion and that his words may have been taken out of context and he is going away for the rest of the election week to come (thankfully).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 12:19:26 PM »

Kerry did issue an apology for the confusion and that his words may have been taken out of context and he is going away for the rest of the election week to come (thankfully).

He apologized?  When?  If he has, no one has heard it (including Harold Ford, Ben Cardin, and Jon Tester). 
nlm
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:26:13 PM »

He apologized?  When?  If he has, no one has heard it (including Harold Ford, Ben Cardin, and Jon Tester). 

This morning. I posted the link to it over in the congressional section of the Atlas.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:03:19 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2006, 01:06:06 PM by MODU »

This morning. I posted the link to it over in the congressional section of the Atlas.

K. I'll take a look for it.

----------------

A day after rejecting calls to apologize for his remarks, Kerry, appearing on the "Imus in the Morning" radio show on MSNBC, declared: "I said it was a botched joke. Of course, I'm sorry about a botched joke."

Hmmm . . . that's still pretty weak.  He needs to say "I'm sorry if I offended anyone."  To a skeptic, it sounds like he's just apologizing for being a bad comedian.

nlm
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:24:24 PM »

K. I'll take a look for it.

----------------

A day after rejecting calls to apologize for his remarks, Kerry, appearing on the "Imus in the Morning" radio show on MSNBC, declared: "I said it was a botched joke. Of course, I'm sorry about a botched joke."

Hmmm . . . that's still pretty weak.  He needs to say "I'm sorry if I offended anyone."  To a skeptic, it sounds like he's just apologizing for being a bad comedian.

Yes, yes - and to a skeptic you sound like a partisan trying to give legs to something meaningless.

Should he now apologize for giving an apology that did not work well enough for a few partisans. HaHa - this is just silly.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 01:36:35 PM »

Why is this important?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 01:47:08 PM »

Yes, yes - and to a skeptic you sound like a partisan trying to give legs to something meaningless.

Should he now apologize for giving an apology that did not work well enough for a few partisans. HaHa - this is just silly.

I'll keep that in mind for future "issues."
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 01:54:16 PM »

It distracts from the real issues.
nlm
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 02:01:02 PM »

You do that - but try not to get confused like you did earlier in this tread about the Kerry comment being like the George Allen "macaca" moment when you try and spring it. Apples and Oranges - keep them straight son.
nlm
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 02:05:41 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2006, 02:12:49 PM by nlm »

It's important because the GOP has nothing else to talk about and dearly wants to stop conversation about, seemingly, everything else (heck - if I were in their shoes I might try the same thing, except I have a little bit of shame). So they have loaded up, got out the talking points - and where ever they go or what ever show they get on - it's time to talk about this non-issue. A truely manufactured issue. Quite an art form to get hundreds of politicians hitting the same non-issue, getting all the loyal talking heads hitting it the exact same way, as well as getting the loyal BLOGs to do the same. Then stir, send out email to the loyal followers - and Wa-La, we have the Atlas Forum poluted with this non-issue as well.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 02:13:27 PM »

You do that - but try not to get confused like you did earlier in this tread about the Kerry comment being like the George Allen "macaca" moment when you try and spring it. Apples and Oranges - keep them straight son.

Oh, don't worry.  I've got the double-standard down. 
nlm
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 04:40:06 PM »

I've got the double-standard down. 

You don't have to convince me. I already know you do. Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 09:00:01 AM »

I've got the double-standard down. 

You don't have to convince me. I already know you do. Wink