Indiana vs Michigan vs Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:13:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Indiana vs Michigan vs Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of these states is best?
Indiana

Michigan

Ohio

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Indiana vs Michigan vs Ohio  (Read 1197 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2022, 12:47:32 PM »

Michigan easily.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 02:15:11 PM »

Yeah, no question at all.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 02:21:21 PM »

Would probably most like to live in Ohio, visit Michigan
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 06:01:28 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2022, 06:10:15 PM by Badger »

It's heresy around here, but I'd almost lean toward Michigan. It lacks a major city  Like Columbus that combines College and white collar economies that make  Is it a vibrant and growing region surrounded by the rustbelt, As Ann Arbor is only about 1/7 the the size. Nevertheless, No one will ever call OSU the Harvard of the Midwest.

Then again, Cleveland >> x10 Detroit
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 06:16:16 PM »

I have friends in Ohio, so a little biased.

Round on the edges and high in the middle.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 06:24:38 PM »

3 of the best states. Very hard to choose, but edge goes to Ohio.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 06:27:27 PM »

The mitten.
Fetterman my beloved
HoosierDemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 02:19:19 PM »

Close race between Ohio and Michigan, I'd say I like Michigan best, but Cleveland seems pretty cool.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 02:23:52 PM »

I am biased, to be sure. However, when at its best, Michigan crushes the other two states.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 07:17:55 PM »

Michigan without even a moment’s hesitation. Lol how is this even a question?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 07:25:35 PM »

Because some of us want to live in cities? Detroit is a sh**thole, and the suburbs are terrible white flight suburbs filled with some of the most racist people in America.

I would rather live in Cleveland. Also a sh**thole, but the extent of blight is geographically much smaller and the people are much better.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 07:49:25 PM »

Because some of us want to live in cities? Detroit is a sh**thole, and the suburbs are terrible white flight suburbs filled with some of the most racist people in America.

I would rather live in Cleveland. Also a sh**thole, but the extent of blight is geographically much smaller and the people are much better.

Ann Arbor is smaller than Lexington but a better equivalent to it and a place I’d rather live than Cleveland or even Columbus, let alone anything in Indiana. Might also prefer Lansing or Grand Rapids. The lake access alone makes MI better.

Actually Ann Arbor reminds me a bit of old school Lexington when I’ve been there, before Lexington like doubled in size. Except way more woke.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 08:22:27 PM »

I deny none of this, but they aren't really the reasons for my wanting to leave. The extent of the suburbia (and the severe lack of mountains in the lower peninsula) is much more the problem.

Perhaps relevant, my Michigan-born friends out West are kind of astounded at thee lack of diversity.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 08:25:57 PM »

In any case, obviously my home state, all things considered. We've got the entire Upper Peninsula, access to several lakes, and so on. I for one think lake access in and of itself might be a bit over-rated, sans good scenery--sort of restricted to just boaters (see: the shores of Lake St. Clair)... but in certain areas it can help make a place absolutely stunning. Ohio, I can understand. You've got some major-ish cities and Appalachian access... but how could Indiana even merit a comparison!?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 08:37:56 PM »

In any case, obviously my home state, all things considered. We've got the entire Upper Peninsula, access to several lakes, and so on. I for one think lake access in and of itself might be a bit over-rated, sans good scenery--sort of restricted to just boaters (see: the shores of Lake St. Clair)... but in certain areas it can help make a place absolutely stunning. Ohio, I can understand. You've got some major-ish cities and Appalachian access... but how could Indiana even merit a comparison!?
Well, places like Fishers and Carmel consistently rank in "Best places to live" type of lists (hell, I think I've even seen Fort Wayne on such lists), but those are not exactly geared towards the average Atlas demographic. If you want to be near Chicago but not actually live in it, parts of NW Indiana are not bad either.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 08:43:14 PM »

Well, places like Fishers and Carmel consistently rank in "Best places to live" type of lists (hell, I think I've even seen Fort Wayne on such lists), but those are not exactly geared towards the average Atlas demographic. If you want to be near Chicago but not actually live in it, parts of NW Indiana are not bad either.

Perhaps fair enough. For reasons that are probably mostly psychological and specific to me, I find it hard to imagine straying further inland in that particular direction. For generic good government, I would probably just opt for Ann Arbor.
Leohendo9
Rookie
Bangladesh
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 07:18:07 AM »

there are more classy places in ohio that have turned things around. Michigan doesn't really have anything like the short north in columbus. maybe grand rapids but lot bigger. cinci shot up for places to live in US too with decent schools.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 08:31:59 AM »

Politically, MI is vastly better than the other two options, and I say this as an Ohioan. Ohio has suffered from migration of southerners turning it into a right wing state. While I can no longer say with pride that it's the nations most underrated state, it still has a lot going for it often overlooked by bicoastal people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 01:52:21 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2022, 06:19:38 PM by Badger »

Is absolutely true, but  Saying Cleveland is better than Detroit in terms of urban blight and white flight is a very very low threshold. Cleveland is still notorious for both.

Columbus is exponentially better than Cleveland, or any other city in Ohio.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 02:12:20 PM »

Michigan is clearly the best on geography alone, but if I had to pick a specific place to live, I'd go with Cincy--Over the Rhine, specifically--on account of latitude.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »

The only cities I've been to in any of these three states are Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Cincinnati. And of those three, Ann Arbor was my clear favorite. However, one of my best friends lives in Columbus, and it sounds lovely enough that I hope to visit her in the near future. So, I guess Ohio.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 02:28:53 PM »

Is absolutely true, but  Saying Cleveland is better than Detroit in terms of urban light and white flight is a very very low threshold. Cleveland is still notorious for both.

Columbus is exponentially better than Cleveland, or any other city in Ohio.
Everyone I've met from NE Ohio is nice. Columbus has too many cringy transplants.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 03:16:01 PM »

I've lived in all three, but I seek a pleasant peninsula!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 03:58:33 PM »

Michigan
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix