What is your opinion on miracles?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What is your opinion on miracles?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Position A

Position B

Position C

Position D

Position E

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: What is your opinion on miracles?  (Read 2170 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2022, 06:25:50 AM »

Miracles are defined here as any event that violates known scientific laws, whether it be of a positive nature (such as healing of an illness) or of a negative nature (such as daemonic position).

Position A-Supernatural events are both possible and regularly occur in the world today, being caused by God, Satan, and/or other divine/supernatural entities. People should regularly expect divine healing for an illness etc. provided proper steps are taken.

Position B-Supernatural events are possible and do occur in the world today, being caused by God, Satan, and/or other divine/supernatural entities. However, they are comparatively rare and should not been seen as a normal course of action as opposed to an unusual act of Providence.

Position C-Supernatural events are theoretically possible and have occurred in the past, being caused by God, Satan, and/or other divine/supernatural entities. However, God etc. no longer operates through those means at the present time and should not be expected at all.

Position D-Seemingly supernatural events are possible and do occur, but they are not the result of a divine entity as opposed to some other phenomena largely or totally unexplained by modern science such as extraterrestrial or extradimensional beings. They should be investigated seriously to see what exactly is occurring.

Position E-Supernatural events are not possible and any report of such should be met with scepticism. They should be seen as exaggerations, misunderstandings, or outright fabrications in many cases.
James Monroe

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 10:22:28 AM »

Miracles are defined here as any event that violates known scientific laws, whether it be of a positive nature (such as healing of an illness) or of a negative nature (such as daemonic position).

Position A-Supernatural events are both possible and regularly occur in the world today, being caused by God, Satan, and/or other divine/supernatural entities. People should regularly expect divine healing for an illness etc. provided proper steps are taken.

Position B-Supernatural events are possible and do occur in the world today, being caused by God, Satan, and/or other divine/supernatural entities. However, they are comparatively rare and should not been seen as a normal course of action as opposed to an unusual act of Providence.

Position C-Supernatural events are theoretically possible and have occurred in the past, being caused by God, Satan, and/or other divine/supernatural entities. However, God etc. no longer operates through those means at the present time and should not be expected at all.

Position D-Seemingly supernatural events are possible and do occur, but they are not the result of a divine entity as opposed to some other phenomena largely or totally unexplained by modern science such as extraterrestrial or extradimensional beings. They should be investigated seriously to see what exactly is occurring.

Position E-Supernatural events are not possible and any report of such should be met with scepticism. They should be seen as exaggerations, misunderstandings, or outright fabrications in many cases.

Right in the opening you can further disclaim any such event if science does not back up the lack of evidence. A more combating question would ask how people believe in miracles when there is lack of burden proof or any rational explanation that has not gained traction within the mainstream science community? Where could somebody write up an apologetic case for such happenings?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 12:37:48 PM »

Option D is the closest but not quite right.

If there is a God, all supernatural things are really just natural, just able to manipulate the natural laws of science in ways we don't think of as possible as humans but would be possible for God.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »

Right in the opening you can further disclaim any such event if science does not back up the lack of evidence. A more combating question would ask how people believe in miracles when there is lack of burden proof or any rational explanation that has not gained traction within the mainstream science community? Where could somebody write up an apologetic case for such happenings?

Miracles are defined by a violation of scientific laws, yet there are still users on this site who try to scientifically "prove" their existence.
James Monroe

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 12:46:10 PM »

Miracles are defined by a violation of scientific laws, yet there are still users on this site who try to scientifically "prove" their existence.

Such a discussion about the existence of such nonentities is rubbish. You could use your noggin to know for certainly there's no such cause in the natural world.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 12:49:47 PM »

Like Thomas the Apostle, I'd have to see to believe, and I haven't seen any, so...
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:57:54 PM »

Position A
James Monroe

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 01:01:12 PM »

Explain your position in a "rational" manner...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 01:14:30 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2022, 01:21:46 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

I believe God regularly responds to requests from the faithful. In fact, I've directly asked for help from God numerous times and got it immediately. The assistance I've received from all-knowing, all-seeing, all-hearing God led me to vote for A in this poll, but if that's too strong of an option or I'm misunderstanding the poll, then I ought to be considered, de facto, a vote for B.
James Monroe

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »

I believe God regularly responds to requests from the faithful. In fact, I've directly asked for help from God numerous times and got it immediately. The assistance I've received from all-knowing, all-seeing, all-hearing God led me to vote for A in this poll, but if that's too strong of an option or I'm misunderstanding the poll, then I ought to be considered, de facto, a vote for B.

Alright, do you really think the assistance is coming from an all-powerful Deity that remains anonymous behind the curtain wall? You never turn around and think how many people in the world do the same with your beliefs? I'm not going into a cliche about praying before war, how about playing a game of football. If I was the star quarterback for the team and heading into week 12 I'm going to be facing the best team in the NFL.  I ask the lord to help me win the game. When the game comes I get injured during the game in the first quarter. My team does fine absence my position, they come up short of winning the game. Doctors have examined my condition and ruled I'll be out for the season. Explain to me why God didn't grant the will to intervene in the game.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 01:45:49 PM »

Alright, do you really think the assistance is coming from an all-powerful Deity that remains anonymous behind the curtain wall? You never turn around and think how many people in the world do the same with your beliefs? I'm not going into a cliche about praying before war, how about playing a game of football. If I was the star quarterback for the team and heading into week 12 I'm going to be facing the best team in the NFL.  I ask the lord to help me win the game. When the game comes I get injured during the game in the first quarter. My team does fine absence my position, they come up short of winning the game. Doctors have examined my condition and ruled I'll be out for the season. Explain to me why God didn't grant the will to intervene in the game.
This world is a mere test, and without adversary of some form and some form of being tested, life is incomplete.
Unjust things happen in the world (initiated by Satan and his agents, allies, et cetera), and God is fine with that. How we respond to those unjust things is far more important. If we do what's right in the face of that, we will be rewarded.
James Monroe

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 02:05:54 PM »

Alright, do you really think the assistance is coming from an all-powerful Deity that remains anonymous behind the curtain wall? You never turn around and think how many people in the world do the same with your beliefs? I'm not going into a cliche about praying before war, how about playing a game of football. If I was the star quarterback for the team and heading into week 12 I'm going to be facing the best team in the NFL.  I ask the lord to help me win the game. When the game comes I get injured during the game in the first quarter. My team does fine absence my position, they come up short of winning the game. Doctors have examined my condition and ruled I'll be out for the season. Explain to me why God didn't grant the will to intervene in the game.
This world is a mere test, and without adversary of some form and some form of being tested, life is incomplete.
Unjust things happen in the world (initiated by Satan and his agents, allies, et cetera), and God is fine with that. How we respond to those unjust things is far more important. If we do what's right in the face of that, we will be rewarded.

This is such an childish view of thinking evil in our world. With the line of thinking you think the Holocaust or other mass atrocities were a work of Satan and his allies? Could you justified this by applying all bad things in our world to fantastical thinking. Look up the history of the world and tell me how many events can be trace to divine intervention?

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 02:12:40 PM »

Alright, do you really think the assistance is coming from an all-powerful Deity that remains anonymous behind the curtain wall? You never turn around and think how many people in the world do the same with your beliefs? I'm not going into a cliche about praying before war, how about playing a game of football. If I was the star quarterback for the team and heading into week 12 I'm going to be facing the best team in the NFL.  I ask the lord to help me win the game. When the game comes I get injured during the game in the first quarter. My team does fine absence my position, they come up short of winning the game. Doctors have examined my condition and ruled I'll be out for the season. Explain to me why God didn't grant the will to intervene in the game.

This is such an childish view of thinking evil in our world. With the line of thinking you think the Holocaust or other mass atrocities were a work of Satan and his allies? Could you justified this by applying all bad things in our world to fantastical thinking.

Satan (and his legion of allies, minions, and co-conspirators) regularly and persistently pulls people away from good and God. But it should be noted that he only can set up residence where people themselves leave an opening. By himself he's weak and basically almost powerless. It's the dark impulses, amoralness, and misguidedness of humans that leaves room for him to do his shenanigans, and with that in mind, I'd say it's not accurate to say he's directly responsible for most of the evil in the world. Amoral/immoral human enablers are the ones who deal most of the damage. It is human agency and free will that not only allows us to be properly judged but also leaves the room for terrible atrocities to happen.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 04:24:48 PM »

Between Position A and Position B. Miracles do happen regularly, but one should never rely on them to save them from whatever pickle they happen to be in.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »

position A, but only negative "miracles" even exist, positive ones don't.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 07:27:05 PM »

I don't think we have reason to disbelieve the causal closure of the physical, so E.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2022, 10:01:22 PM »

As we know Jesus was a mortal man, his brother James was his real biological brother because Joseph was Jesus real biological father due to an Ossurary Box of James son of Joseph, was found and when Jews died back then they buried their bones in a box after their death

But in scripture Jesus was a God obviously Lazarus wasn't dead and mortals can't walk on water and cure the blind and an earthquake did happen after Jesus died on the cross, because there aren't any ghost as we know of

The supernatural are actually could be aliens visitors that are more advanced in human life than we are on other worlds outside our galaxy as you know there are no martians in our solar system all the planets have mercury on them

But, just like with all Priests, the Prophets we're High Priest that are redeemers for your sins

Option A
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2022, 10:05:44 PM »

I've had a handful of what I'd consider mystical experiences, but they were quite mundane (little bits of personally meaningful synchronicity, seeing Isis in a dream). I'm skeptical of anything greater than that being seen as the direct work of the divine, aside from broader forces of nature which to me are the primary emanation of divinity. In more personal spheres I view divinity more as a latent force to be harnessed through ritual than something with its own will.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 08:17:19 AM »

E seems like the obvious answer to me. On Firefly, River Tam would argue  that the Bible is “broken”  because the Flood was impossible.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »

Position B. I am rather surprised that nobody has picked the deist option.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »

Position E.

As our understanding of the 'world' and all that it entails has expanded, we've never looked at 'x' and determined that it had a supernatural explanation or source over any other explanation. Many understandings and events that used to have a supernatural explanation are now understood, even by those who believe in miracles, to not be supernatural in origin.

No one who has ever prayed or made offerings to a supernatural force to replace a missing hand for example, has ever had that hand grow back; they would be a world figure if that had occurred and been recorded. But we can now surgically attach donor hands. So the pool of what is deemed 'miraculous' even if we give them the benefit of the doubt and not attempt to demonstrate natural explanations for such occurrences; in effect how far a 'miracle' can go, is increasingly being outpaced by scientific understanding and advancement.

I also think it's disingenuous, to hold up a miracle claimed through intercession by entity A and an equal one through entity B and for each side to claim it can't be a miracle or if it is, it must come from the entity they personally root for. If anything that confines the supernatural as a distinct cause in way that a 'material' belief in a non supernatural explanation does not.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2022, 01:26:11 PM »

No, that's not really correct. There's no "scientific law" that says "The blind shall never spontaneously regain their eyesight" or "The lame shall never spontaneously regain their ability to walk". Yet if such things were to happen they would be considered miracles.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »

No, that's not really correct. There's no "scientific law" that says "The blind shall never spontaneously regain their eyesight" or "The lame shall never spontaneously regain their ability to walk". Yet if such things were to happen they would be considered miracles.

I think you'll find that medicine is a science, and the spontaneous curing of serious ailments without explanation indeed violates the laws of that science.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2022, 02:25:02 PM »

I think you'll find that medicine is a science, and the spontaneous curing of serious ailments without explanation indeed violates the laws of that science.

Do you have any examples of these laws of medicine?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2022, 04:37:27 PM »

Do you have any examples of these laws of medicine?

Uh... how about "humans cannot spontaneously regrow limbs?"
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies