Arizona bill would force teachers to out LGBTQ students to parents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:32:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arizona bill would force teachers to out LGBTQ students to parents
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Arizona bill would force teachers to out LGBTQ students to parents  (Read 1901 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2022, 11:22:08 AM »

This could literally result in children being killed.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 11:25:45 AM »

It's clear this is the new trend in GOP state legislatures. These sorts of bills don't just happen. They are coordinated.

They want queer kids to be afraid. It brings then joy in their sh-tty colourless existence.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:29:28 AM »

Just to prove there's still people who read past the headline:

Arizona Republicans this week lined up behind a measure that would discipline teachers and open them up to lawsuits if they don’t tell parents everything a student tells in them — even if the student confides that he or she is gay or transgender.

The legislation, House Bill 2161, would make it illegal for a government employee to withhold information that is “relevant to the physical, emotional or mental health of the parent’s child,” and specifically prevents teachers from withholding information about a student’s “purported gender identity” or a request to transition to a gender other than the “student’s biological sex.”

The bill would allow parents to sue school districts if teachers don’t comply.

The cruelty is the point #179385978
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 11:31:10 AM »

Kaiser initially said the bill was created via a “stakeholder group” and his “own inherent passion” for the issue. But when Hernandez pressed him on which stakeholders were involved in drafting the bill, Kaiser admitted he didn’t work with education groups or teachers, but with anti-LGBTQ advocacy groups — chief among them the Center for Arizona Policy, a conservative Christian lobbying organization that has pushed numerous controversial and bigoted bills since forming in 1995. CAP holds sway with most Republican lawmakers and Gov. Doug Ducey, and is widely considered one of the most powerful lobbying groups at the state Capitol.

Predictable.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:15 PM »

I don't support this.  The information students confide in their teachers/counselors should be protected from involuntary disclosure unless there is an immediate threat of harm or abuse.  Unfortunately, the problems facing LGBT kids do often cross into that territory. 

However, I do find it hard to believe that a student could be openly gay or transgender at school and the parents not know about it.  Parents should not expect public schools to do the dirty work of keeping tabs on their kids' budding personal lives.   
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 12:21:42 PM »

Wha's with the GOP and child abuse towards gay youth bills?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 12:23:56 PM »

I can't even keep track of the GOP bills being created that will hurt queer kids.

Boy are these people OBSESSED with an anti-LGBTQ agenda.

Sadly more of them will get elected in the Red Wave, which means more headlines of crazy bills being proposed by the Anti-Gay Crowd (which can be abbreviated as G-O-P these days).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 12:28:09 PM »

However, I do find it hard to believe that a student could be openly gay or transgender at school and the parents not know about it. 

For a situation like this, it's more likely to impact a kid who is still in the closet and confided in a teacher that they trust.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 12:36:12 PM »

I don't support this.  The information students confide in their teachers/counselors should be protected from involuntary disclosure unless there is an immediate threat of harm or abuse.  Unfortunately, the problems facing LGBT kids do often cross into that territory. 

However, I do find it hard to believe that a student could be openly gay or transgender at school and the parents not know about it.  Parents should not expect public schools to do the dirty work of keeping tabs on their kids' budding personal lives.   

It happens more often than you'd think. Caitlyn Jenner literally wore women's undergarments. She lived out her "transness" differently before coming out.

But I was even going to put my dead0man hat on and say, "If you're for doctor-patient privilege but support this, you're an asshole."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 12:41:48 PM »

But I was even going to put my dead0man hat on and say, "If you're for doctor-patient privilege but support this, you're an asshole."

Unfortunately, a lot of people also probably believe doctor-patient privilege shouldn't exist for minors.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 12:47:06 PM »

This was my first thought.  But this bill is dumb and needs to die.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 01:03:19 PM »

I was openly gay at school and my parents did not know about it. That was twenty years ago. It's still pretty common; being able to be out at school to your friends.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »

But remember folks, this is the new improved LGBTQ tolerant GOP!
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 03:17:10 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2022, 07:39:58 PM by The Golden Girls-The Golden Palace-Empty Nest-Nurses Fan ❄️ »

This is going to be a major factor in my vote for state legislature this year since this is being carried out at the state level in various states. I will weigh the merits of each candidate before election day but it is a strong possibility that I vote Dem/Dem for State House/State Senate again.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 03:25:57 PM »

What's up with all these latest Republican attempts to pass ridiculous anti-LGBT nonsense laws at the state level?

How about solving actual problems instead of fighting a culture war that's already been settled in court and public opinion? Republican officials are pretty much a joke at this point, they're just about big tax cuts for the rich and culture wars.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 03:28:43 PM »

This bill, with censoring books about Nazis in school, is basically the Right Wing version of "woke".

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 03:33:13 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2022, 07:16:37 PM by The Democratic Party Left Me »

And though that is a legitimate concern, the physical safety of the person is more important to any right property or that of privacy (including how to raise one's children).

I might be OK if this bill allows for exceptions for when the child thinks that their sexuality might endanger their lives or otherwise subject them to abuse or neglect if revealed.

Though another issue with this bill would be how would it interfere with relationships if a student confessed to a teacher, was outed by the teacher to the parents and then the student accused the teacher of lying about it to their parents?

This bill could also be redundant because if parents were so concerned about their child's sexuality, couldn't they apply for vouchers to a mission, parochial, or ecclesiastical school?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 03:45:27 PM »

This is going to be a major factor in my vote for state legislature this year since this is being carried out at the state level in various states. I will weight the merits of each candidate before election day but it is a strong possibility that I vote Dem/Dem for State House/State Senate again.

I officially take back at least half of the bad things I've said about you. Wink
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 03:17:41 PM »

When I was a K-12 student, I would have been outed in the presence of such a law because I did not exude machismo. Sure, I was a sissy, but of the "men--yuck!" variety.

High-school kids do not understand homosexuality.  It's not up to them to snitch on fellow students for real and imagined homosexuality.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 03:29:39 PM »

If a teen comes out to his or her doctor, would that Doctor be forced to tell his or her parents ?

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 03:30:19 PM »

However, I do find it hard to believe that a student could be openly gay or transgender at school and the parents not know about it.
I saw kids who went to my high schools club for queer kids who weren't out to their parents.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2022, 04:04:57 PM »

B-b-b-b-but I thought Republicans were "anti-authoritarian" Huh
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2022, 04:19:16 PM »

It would be surpring to me if it weren't the case that a majority of LGBT kids were out to their friends before their parents. I've had minor acquaintances who I've known were gay before their parents did.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »

Lol, unnecessary, because adolescence don't have sex and they are deemed as confused until they are officially an adult, this is an unnecessary law, and it's called being downlow for men anyways

Not much is gonna happen to females because some are considered Tom Boys anyways
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 05:07:18 PM »

I don't support this.  The information students confide in their teachers/counselors should be protected from involuntary disclosure unless there is an immediate threat of harm or abuse.  Unfortunately, the problems facing LGBT kids do often cross into that territory.  

However, I do find it hard to believe that a student could be openly gay or transgender at school and the parents not know about it.  Parents should not expect public schools to do the dirty work of keeping tabs on their kids' budding personal lives.  
It would be surpring to me if it weren't the case that a majority of LGBT kids were out to their friends before their parents. I've had minor acquaintances who I've known were gay before their parents did.

This. I came out to most of my friends around the age of 12/13, my Dad didn't know until I was 22 (and promptly disowned me, so yeah). OP obviously isn't LGBT and doesn't have a very good idea of how LGBT youth live their lives.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies