Take on the philosophy espoused in the video?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:43:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Take on the philosophy espoused in the video?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Take on the philosophy espoused in the video?  (Read 167 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2022, 12:28:37 AM »

Last night I watch the Independent movie Lucky that came out five years ago and was the final film of the lead actor career. It's about an atheist who finds searchment of enlightenment as he discovers health issues at his age, which involve natural causes and not relating to his heavy alcohol-smoking habits.

In the climatic scene of the movie the manager of the bar tells the protagonist of the movie, the title character, that he can't smoke in the bar and this led to a dispute about the two about an incident in 1968 when he lit up. In a approach against authoritarianism Lucky stands charge, making it know obeying the rules is a sign of weakness, that you need to stand up for your values if you want to get ahead in life. After the minute long dispute, Lucky tells the bar attendants that you are 'nothing,' that everything in the universe is nothing, that is the truth to the cosmos. Sit back and go within your days. Watch the scene, don't worry if it's a spoiler because the movies has no real plot as a character-driven movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMNs8UtPk4

For the R&P crowd do you find this philosophical stance to be worthy?  Should we stand against this kind of authority due to rules not being significant in a significance way due to the laws of nature?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 12:40:03 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2022, 12:43:10 AM by Butlerian Jihad »

We should not decide whether or not to follow social norms based on the fact that someone in another galaxy or the far future probably would not care about them, no. Even if we presuppose a thoroughgoingly rationalist and materialist worldview, there is no reason why that means we somehow benefit from acting like our words and deeds aren't meaningful to the people we're arguing with at the bar. Camus was right about this.

I'm also, simply put, not convinced you're interpreting the scene correctly, but I'd have to watch the whole movie (which I might, because it has great people in it) to be sure.
James Monroe

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 12:57:41 AM »

We should not decide whether or not to follow social norms based on the fact that someone in another galaxy or the far future probably would not care about them, no. Even if we presuppose a thoroughgoingly rationalist and materialist worldview, there is no reason why that means we somehow benefit from acting like our words and deeds aren't meaningful to the people we're arguing with at the bar. Camus was right about this.

I'm also, simply put, not convinced you're interpreting the scene correctly, but I'd have to watch the whole movie (which I might, because it has great people in it) to be sure.

In an earlier scene at the bar Lucky is obsessed with the word realism as coming across the meaning in a crossword puzzle, which you could see in the movie takes that viewpoint to his corner. This existentialist worldview has been hinted at through points in the movie, though someone can make arguments for Taoism but a certain quote I won't use would lead to a more materialistic view of the world. The argument in that climax can be interpreted as being gotcha rhetoric, as a way of Lucky bring his own enlightenment about the universe to his pals who sometimes are baffle by his own line of thinking.

Anyway, check it out it's free on Kanopy. A nice slice of life drama that does not beat your heads with saccharine BS.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies