DFP-2024 AZ (DEM): Gallego +58
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:55:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  DFP-2024 AZ (DEM): Gallego +58
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DFP-2024 AZ (DEM): Gallego +58  (Read 1463 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2022, 04:49:18 PM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 04:51:37 PM »

It doesn't matter, because she's not going to run for re-election.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 04:56:03 PM »

This is Liz Cheney territory. I don't see her digging out of this.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 05:31:53 PM »

Lol I’ve never seen a politicians this underwater (out side of a cult)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 08:12:28 PM »

Ted Kennedy was underwater that one time
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 08:38:58 PM »

Ted Kennedy was underwater that one time

Literal laugh out loud Kiki
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »

I’ve said this before, but, for context, Lieberman was at 40-20 something positive approvals before losing his primary and Spector was 50-30.

Kyrsten Sinema is without hyperbole the most unpopular politician with her own party since polling began and it’s not even close.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 09:44:58 PM »

I’ve said this before, but, for context, Lieberman was at 40-20 something positive approvals before losing his primary and Spector was 50-30.

Kyrsten Sinema is without hyperbole the most unpopular politician with her own party since polling began and it’s not even close.

That’s what happens when you fortnite dance away a living wage on the senate floor
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 10:53:01 PM »

That’s what happens when you fortnite dance away a living wage on the senate floor

Lol, her minimum wage vote - which was totally inconsequential seeing as it needed 60 votes and lots of other Dems were also against it in that particular form - has little to nothing to do with the hole she's in.

Tanking BBB and voting rights (through her continued support for the filibuster), on the other hand
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 11:09:07 PM »

There’s no way it would end up this lopsided, but this kind of intense unpopularity doesn’t just go away because of short attention spans or because someone says “muh electability.”
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 11:12:52 PM »

Sinema is no longer welcome in the D party she voted to keep the Filibuster
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 11:19:11 PM »

We’ll see about this after Kelly loses, Sinema votes to confirm Breyer's replacement & moves to the left after Republicans retake the Senate, and Schumer/DSCC throw their full weight behind Sinema. Even if the primary were held this year, she wouldn’t lose by 60 points.

It’s insane how popular she is with Republicans in this poll, though (63% favorable, 29% unfavorable; among Democrats it’s 16% favorable, 77% unfavorable). I think she could actually get away with a party switch with numbers like that (not that this will ever happen, of course).
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 11:28:30 PM »

Lol, her minimum wage vote - which was totally inconsequential seeing as it needed 60 votes and lots of other Dems were also against it in that particular form - has little to nothing to do with the hole she's in.

Tanking BBB and voting rights (through her continued support for the filibuster), on the other hand

Without her just in general acting snobby and smug she wouldn’t be in such a deep hole. She either is just a person with a bad personality or has a terrible media team
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 11:41:27 PM »

We’ll see about this after Kelly loses, Sinema votes to confirm Breyer's replacement & moves to the left after Republicans retake the Senate, and Schumer/DSCC throw their full weight behind Sinema. Even if the primary were held this year, she wouldn’t lose by 60 points.

It’s insane how popular she is with Republicans in this poll, though (63% favorable, 29% unfavorable; among Democrats it’s 16% favorable, 77% unfavorable). I think she could actually get away with a party switch with numbers like that (not that this will ever happen, of course).

The only way Republicans in the Senate agree to Simena switching parties is if she agrees not to run again.

They can win the Senate seat without her (just run Deucy, Yee, Brnovich, hell even Gosar or Biggs could probably pick the seat up if Biden's on the ballot again.)
UncleSam

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 08:27:04 AM »

I actually think she’s positioning herself for a party switch. Otherwise her actions don’t really make much sense. She probably views Biden as likely to lose in 2024 (and likely to lose AZ, potentially by more than a couple points), and wants to shift parties after the midterms / after Rs take the majority anyway. I can’t really see a rationale for how she has shifted politically while in office otherwise. She’s straight DOA in a Democratic primary most likely.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 08:49:17 AM »

LoL Trump was at 39/47 in Jan and under 50 percent when Es won the Senate and Biden is leading all GoP candidates Biden and D's are losing the Senate with 3.0 unemployment just like Trump abd RS didn't lose the Senate in 2018 due to low unemployment
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 09:57:46 AM »

It doesn't matter, because she's not going to run for re-election.

I don't often agree with SnowLabrador, but I think this is right. The Senator Sinema resembles most is her predecessor in that AZ Senate seat, Jeff Flake, who was so overwhelmingly unpopular and unwelcome in the Republican Party at the end that he decided to bail out of a certain loss in the primary and just retire. Sinema's even more unpopular with her party than Flake was with his.

From this poll, among Likely Democratic Primary voters (which includes a healthy helping of Independents):

Kyrsten Sinema

Very Favorable 7
Somewhat Favorable 12
Somewhat Unfavorable 22
Very Unfavorable 54

How does she do among the "Moderate" subgroup, who should be her bread and butter?

Very Favorable 11
Somewhat Favorable 18
Somewhat Unfavorable 21
Very Unfavorable 43

Simply put, no politician has ever come back from being this intensely unpopular with their own party. It just doesn't happen. Sinema will most likely just not want to get humiliated in a primary and just decide to announce she's not running for reelection.

Any comparison you can come up with (Joe Lieberman, Arlen Specter, Lisa Murkowski, Dick Lugar, Jeff Flake, Bob Corker) were not this unpopular facing the election in question. Again, Flake and Corker just decided to not even run in the face of milder unpopularity than this.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 10:01:39 AM »

Here's how Sinema can still win:
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 03:48:32 PM »

This visualization of the same poll is pretty striking. How many Senators have you heard of who ever hit 58% Strongly Disapprove within their own party?

None, that's how many. Never happened. R or D. And this is why the "this is all gonna be water under the bridge" people are so wrong: it's not a fringe trying to primary Sinema, it's a fringe trying to save her. The mainstream institutions of the Democratic Party (League of Conservation Voters, NARAL, EMILY's List, are just some of the more prominent groups) have all excommunicated her and the AZ Democratic Party has censured her. This is closer to a top-down drumming her out than a traditional primary challenge. It's a wildly different beast that, again, reminds me of how the GOP drummed out Jeff Flake and Bob Corker in 2018 by making it obvious to them that it was pointless to even run for reelection.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 03:50:14 PM »

Cheney probably has a greater chance of winning. I think she still gets around 30%. Sinema is about the suffer the worst primary defeat for an incumbent in a long time. If she even runs, which I doubt.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 04:15:24 PM »

This visualization of the same poll is pretty striking. How many Senators have you heard of who ever hit 58% Strongly Disapprove within their own party?

None, that's how many. Never happened. R or D. And this is why the "this is all gonna be water under the bridge" people are so wrong: it's not a fringe trying to primary Sinema, it's a fringe trying to save her. The mainstream institutions of the Democratic Party (League of Conservation Voters, NARAL, EMILY's List, are just some of the more prominent groups) have all excommunicated her and the AZ Democratic Party has censured her. This is closer to a top-down drumming her out than a traditional primary challenge. It's a wildly different beast that, again, reminds me of how the GOP drummed out Jeff Flake and Bob Corker in 2018 by making it obvious to them that it was pointless to even run for reelection.

I wonder, if it sets her "free". Knowing, that she has absolutely no chance makes her basically immune to any threats from Progressives or Biden or whoever. Why compromising, if you're anyway done.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 05:35:39 PM »

Cheney probably has a greater chance of winning. I think she still gets around 30%. Sinema is about the suffer the worst primary defeat for an incumbent in a long time. If she even runs, which I doubt.

If that's the case, Democrats are a lot less tolerant of dissent for a much lower level of objection to their party's orthodoxies. That of course is not a premise people want to accept, but it's largely true.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 05:59:18 PM »

If that's the case, Democrats are a lot less tolerant of dissent for a much lower level of objection to their party's orthodoxies. That of course is not a premise people want to accept, but it's largely true.

‘My party shouldn’t be allowed to legislate’ is not minor dissent.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 06:14:14 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2022, 06:18:08 PM by President Scott☀️ »

Broke: Blanched
Woke: Sinema'd
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 06:22:06 PM »

Just as Cheney is getting run out by Republicans for opposing Trump, Sinema is getting run out by Democrats for supporting the filibuster.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies