NYT- President Biden considering sending thousands of troops to Eastern Europe and Baltics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:17:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT- President Biden considering sending thousands of troops to Eastern Europe and Baltics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: NYT- President Biden considering sending thousands of troops to Eastern Europe and Baltics  (Read 4024 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 10:30:49 PM »

Dems deserve to lose if they're going to do this. At least Republicans are honest about not giving a sh**t about their own country.

So we should abandon a democratic country (with strategic value and who wants to be our ally) to its fate?

This situation is not an Iraq War 2.0. And everyone should realize this.

This is a serious serious Great Power Struggle on the level of 1930's Europe. We have Russia who is a declining power, by all measures, who wants to have it's last go around the sun. We have almost all of Europe ( with the exception of Germany ? ), jumping in on this. Estonia, Lituhania, hell even freaking JAPAN. Denmark has sent fighter jets to Eastern Europe. Spain.

Literally all of Europe is freaking out. This is not Iraq 2.0. Why do we think it is ?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 10:35:44 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 10:39:58 PM by Frodo »

Dems deserve to lose if they're going to do this. At least Republicans are honest about not giving a sh**t about their own country.

So we should abandon a democratic country (with strategic value and who wants to be our ally) to its fate?

This is a serious serious Great Power Struggle on the level of 1930's Europe. We have Russia who is a declining power, by all measures, who wants to have it's last go around the sun. We have almost all of Europe ( with the exception of Germany ? ), jumping in on this. Estonia, Lituhania, hell even freaking JAPAN. Denmark has sent fighter jets to Eastern Europe. Spain.

Literally all of Europe is freaking out. This is not Iraq 2.0. Why do we think it is ?

Because we are in the midst of the Vietnam War Syndrome 2.0 (thanks mainly to our failures in Iraq and Afghanistan) whose namesake bedeviled every President from Gerald Ford to George Bush until our clear and decisive victory in Operation Desert Storm.  
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 10:40:21 PM »

This would be colossally stupid.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 10:43:07 PM »

I suspect, though I have no way to prove, that similar propaganda operations to those which helped saddle us with Donald Trump and drive Republicans to madness are still manipulating the American zeitgeist in ways that are broadly favorable to our enemies. (And they are not our enemies because w wish to destroy them, but because they wish our destruction.)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2022, 10:43:54 PM »

Well you know it's sh!t crazy, when freaking Denmark is sending fighter jets. And Finland is threatining to sanction Russia.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 10:46:08 PM »

I suspect, though I have no way to prove, that similar propaganda operations to those which helped saddle us with Donald Trump and drive Republicans to madness are still manipulating the American zeitgeist in ways that are broadly favorable to our enemies. (And they are not our enemies because w wish to destroy them, but because they wish our destruction.)

Just a week ago, we had massive protests in Kazhakstan, and the President there has fled to Russia.

Like this is serious stuff. And I'm no policy expert, so correct me if i get foreign policy wrong. But when you have Japan, Canada, the UK, the Pope all jumping in, it's serious business.

I hope war never happens, but if it does, then I won't protest. This is serious stuff.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2022, 10:51:00 PM »

Lol, what exactly is the isolationists' problem here? If Putin tries to invade Eastern Europe or the Baltics, then we're already in WWIII and it's best to try and kill as many of his guys as we can before they get too far into the free world. If Biden was sending our boys into disputed Ukrainian territory, then that would be a totally different story, but he's sending them to reinforce our allies in the face of an aggressive rogue nation. If Russia starts WWIII because we aren't willing to let them exterminate our allies without a fight, then that's Russia's fault, not ours! We have a military, it's not always evil to use it.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 11:10:20 PM »

Jimmy Carter, 2.0.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 11:13:40 PM »

Neville Chamberlain 2.0, if things turn out the way it did in 1938.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »

Neville Chamberlain 2.0, if things turn out the way it did in 1938.

That's worse...
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2022, 11:30:41 PM »

Why are doomers in this thread worried about sending troops to Lithuania? Would they be okay abandoning a NATO ally to the Russkies, or did they not read the article and they instead think we’re deploying troops to Ukraine?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2022, 11:40:29 PM »

The last time I checked, Biden is the President of the United States, not Ukraine, and Ukraine is not US territory.

Why are doomers in this thread worried about sending troops to Lithuania? Would they be okay abandoning a NATO ally to the Russkies, or did they not read the article and they instead think we’re deploying troops to Ukraine?

We should withdraw from NATO, yes. Our own country is on the verge of collapse, we're having supply shortages, on the verge of food shortages, and our healthcare system is a mess.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2022, 11:44:44 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 12:48:23 AM by pool water is very cod 🥶🥶🥶 »

The last time I checked, Biden is the President of the United States, not Ukraine, and Ukraine is not US territory.

Let's see if we can do something about this sorry state of affairs  Wink
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2022, 11:52:52 PM »

We should withdraw from NATO, yes. Our own country is on the verge of collapse, we're having supply shortages, on the verge of food shortages, and our healthcare system is a mess.

These are problems of implementation, not resources. We have the wealth, both human and material, to be among the best nations in the world. Our domestic failures are not caused by our commitments to NATO, but my our own mistakes and failings. Compounding those mistakes by abandoning our friends and our pledges will not fix anything.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 11:53:25 PM »

I believe that liberal democracies should have each other's backs.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2022, 11:53:34 PM »

Ukraine is not a democracy, lol
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2022, 12:16:26 AM »

These are problems of implementation, not resources. We have the wealth, both human and material, to be among the best nations in the world. Our domestic failures are not caused by our commitments to NATO, but my our own mistakes and failings. Compounding those mistakes by abandoning our friends and our pledges will not fix anything.

Committing troops to yet another war will lead to more Americans maimed and killed and more laundering of tax dollars to defense contractors, and further distract government from the problems at home.

But I guess abandoning the American people is something I should've come to expect from Democrats by now after the disgrace that is Obamacare.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2022, 12:17:39 AM »

Putin is many things, but he is not stupid. He would never invade a NATO country, Moscow would be a nuclear hellscape by the time he finished giving the order. I'm not opposed to beefing up military presence in NATO countries, at least as a show of force to show Putin that we mean business, but going to war with the Russians over Ukraine would be a disaster. Ukraine is not in NATO. It isn't even really a US ally, and though we should do everything we can to defend it short of direct military involvement, Americans shouldn't be sent to die in yet another foreign war.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2022, 12:19:08 AM »

But I guess abandoning the American people is something I should've come to expect from Democrats by now after the disgrace that is Obamacare.

I'll let my family members who are alive today thanks to Obamacare know that they're a disgrace.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2022, 12:21:47 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 12:25:54 AM by Hammy »

I'll let my family members who are alive today thanks to Obamacare know that they're a disgrace.

Be sure to let the families of those that died because they can't afford insulin know their lives don't matter as much as dropping bombs on Russia.

I believe that liberal democracies should have each other's backs.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2022, 12:22:34 AM »

Noted dictator Volodymyr Zelensky. Who took office by...defeating the previous incumbent President in a free and fair election.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 12:23:58 AM »

Why are so many people babbling about Biden sending our military to war with Russia? Stationing troops in allied nations due to belligerence on the part of a sh-thole country like Russia is not escalation nor is it an act of war. Even if Russia never invades NATO, it's important that we make clear to the Russians and our own allies that we're willing to stand by our commitments.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2022, 12:27:42 AM »

Committing troops to yet another war will lead to more Americans maimed and killed and more laundering of tax dollars to defense contractors, and further distract government from the problems at home.

What are you talking about? Biden is suggesting sending more forces to NATO members in Eastern Europe. This isn't sending them into a war, it's hoping to deter a wider one.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2022, 12:29:49 AM »

Noted dictator Volodymyr Zelensky. Who took office by...defeating the previous incumbent President in a free and fair election.

Many critics have noted Zelensky's authoritarian turn and has rock bottom approvals right now. And Ukraine is not considered democratic by the Democracy Index.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2022, 12:39:03 AM »

Many critics have noted Zelensky's authoritarian turn and has rock bottom approvals right now. And Ukraine is not considered democratic by the Democracy Index.
But that only shows him to be a dictator if he remains in office after his term because of an unfair election. The fact that he's considered likely to lose and be gone shows against that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies