Gingrich says J6 committee might go to jail if Republicans take back House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 06:05:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gingrich says J6 committee might go to jail if Republicans take back House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gingrich says J6 committee might go to jail if Republicans take back House  (Read 666 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 04:15:17 PM »

Jailing your political enemies is an obvious next step for the Banana Republican Party.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 04:16:49 PM »

Trump didn't even manage to lock Hillary up, so they're all a bunch of wannabe strongmen.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 04:23:54 PM »

Witch-hunting for witch-hunters.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »

My 3 year old son accepts more accountability for smacking his 1 year old brother in the head than Republicans do for literally any crimes they commit.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 04:38:51 PM »

This is why Republicans won't take back the House. They are going to make so many outrageous threats that they won't make it hard for Democrats to show up to the polls and they will also alienate potential swing voters (those that are left).
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 05:04:25 PM »

Jailing your political enemies is an obvious next step for the Banana Republican Party.

Funny...this is exactly what the Democrats have been trying to do to Trump for the past several years.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 05:08:25 PM »

This is why Republicans won't take back the House

Nothing that follows this is worth anything if you honestly think this.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 05:09:10 PM »

Sure this is bad and all but does the Gin Grinch really speak for Republicans these days? I can’t imagine he has much influence or knowledge all things considered.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 05:14:10 PM »

These are scary people. But then again, Gingrich is known for saying crazy sh**t off the cuff.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 05:27:05 PM »

Funny...this is exactly what the Democrats have been trying to do to Trump for the past several years.

Trump has been credibly accused of a variety of crimes, some of which predate his entry into politics.  Investigations are ongoing and if their findings warrant, they may proceed to an indictment and trial in accord with the law.  Or they may not.  That's the American justice system at work. 

The committee is engaging in a Congressional investigation of an incursion into the Capitol designed to interfere with the peaceful transition of power.  They are accused of breaking no laws.  Threatening to jail them in this situation is banana republic stuff.

If you think these two things are equivalent, I don't really know what to say.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 05:29:10 PM »

OMG. The GOP goes more and more off-the-rails.
Embarrassing.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 05:33:14 PM »

Well yes, when you have from the top support for breaking into the government, while armed, with the expressed desire of preventing electoral proceedings, there is going to be an investigation. How are people unable to see the difference between this, and literally threatening to jail people as revenge for said investigation? This is mafia-like behavior.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 05:33:41 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 05:41:14 PM by Klobmentum »

Remember when President Obama refused to prosecute anyone from the Bush administration because of the precedent and divisiveness it would cause? Then he continued to say that those who "tortured some folks," — and he used the word, torture — were "real patriots."

Every instance of Democrats refusing to hold Republicans accountable gives the GOP a green light to continue getting worse and worse. The GOP has lost the right to be treated as a legitimate party, and they did so long before Trump. Yet Biden, Schumer, and Pelosi continue to clamor about the need for a "big, strong Republican Party."
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 05:34:40 PM »

Obviously this is Gingrich saying whatever outrageous thing comes to mind for views and media attention. He has no real power or even influence to make this kind of crazy nonsense happen for real. No one with power would be dumb enough to say this because the committee is obviously protected by the Speech and Debate clause in Article I.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 05:37:06 PM »

Democrats have no real sense of self preservation.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 05:38:52 PM »

He arguably deserves to be there. The January 6th committee unarguably does not. If you pretend to not understand that, all you're doing is casting aspersions on yourself. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 05:43:55 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 05:46:56 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

Yeah, the poster West_Midlander obviously has a serious "both sides" shtick, although it comes across as if he attempts to make the facts fit this preordained view of the world instead of the other way around.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 05:55:18 PM »

Nobody asked you to reply. If the entire campaign becomes about throwing Democrats in jail I guarantee you that Republicans won't win back the House. That only makes them look as unstable as the Democrats are trying to portray them as and makes it easier to keep discussing the insurrection.

But I realize that anyone saying that Republicans won't take the House triggers a lot of anger around here. Guess what? Not everyone has to say they will take the House, so you might as well not get upset about it.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 05:57:01 PM »

Crimimal trials determine “Will X go to jail?”, not, “Will X or Y go to jail?”. You go to jail because you were found guilty, not because you were on the losing side of the trial.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »

Nobody asked you to reply. If the entire campaign becomes about throwing Democrats in jail I guarantee you that Republicans won't win back the House. That only makes them look as unstable as the Democrats are trying to portray them as and makes it easier to keep discussing the insurrection.

But I realize that anyone saying that Republicans won't take the House triggers a lot of anger around here. Guess what? Not everyone has to say they will take the House, so you might as well not get upset about it.

I'm not upset, I find the notion that they'll somehow win both absurd, and giving the voting public far more credit than they deserve.

Most people outside of this forum don't pay attention to politics beyond knowing who the president is, or blaming the government (regardless whoever's in power at any given moment) for all their problems. And hearing 'throw politicians in jail' wouldn't exactly be unpopular in itself, as most people won't think--or simply don't care--about the implications of this.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 06:45:58 PM »

I'm not upset, I find the notion that they'll somehow win both absurd, and giving the voting public far more credit than they deserve.

Most people outside of this forum don't pay attention to politics beyond knowing who the president is, or blaming the government (regardless whoever's in power at any given moment) for all their problems. And hearing 'throw politicians in jail' wouldn't exactly be unpopular in itself, as most people won't think--or simply don't care--about the implications of this.

I would also imagine that many people would just not think that they're being serious threats. Remember, Republicans are held to a completely different standard.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 07:09:13 PM »

Obviously this is Gingrich saying whatever outrageous thing comes to mind for views and media attention. He has no real power or even influence to make this kind of crazy nonsense happen for real. No one with power would be dumb enough to say this because the committee is obviously protected by the Speech and Debate clause in Article I.

This, for the most part.

I liked my government a lot better when the goal was not to throw the opposition in jail.  It is NOT justified with Trump, but it is also not justified with a whole lot of other people in both parties. 

I will tell you this:  I am going to avoid like the plague voting for candidates who promise "ethics reform" and "open government".  What they seem to be talking about is creating new categories of process crimes, and that's not OK.  That leads to more of this.  We have been doing this at least since Watergate, and we have more "reform", "open government" and "accountability" statutes on the books at all levels of government, but our public officials are no less conflicted in their interests.  If we can't have a government of saints, perhaps we can have a government where the most worthwhile people won't shy away from public service because of the constant threat of being investigated by your political enemies.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 08:04:54 PM »

On what charge? Hurting republicans' fee fees?
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 09:48:10 PM »

I believe him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies