Another gay problem for Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:06:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Another gay problem for Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another gay problem for Republicans  (Read 1992 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2006, 02:04:56 AM »

Bob Corker's college aged daughter was stupid enough to post a "girls gone wild" type photo on her facebook page, in which she is making out with another girl. It's actually a pretty hot photo. Anyhow, Wendi Thomas, a liberal columnist in Memphis's local paper has an article about this in today's paper. The Ford campaign has dismissed the photo as silly. Here's a link to the article: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local_columnists/article/0,2845,MCA_25341_5101929,00.html

I'll be the first to admit that this should be wholly irrelavent, but in a tight race, how much does this matter?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 02:12:23 AM »

Bob Corker's college aged daughter was stupid enough to post a "girls gone wild" type photo on her facebook page, in which she is making out with another girl. It's actually a pretty hot photo. Anyhow, Wendi Thomas, a liberal columnist in Memphis's local paper has an article about this in today's paper. The Ford campaign has dismissed the photo as silly. Here's a link to the article: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local_columnists/article/0,2845,MCA_25341_5101929,00.html

I'll be the first to admit that this should be wholly irrelavent, but in a tight race, how much does this matter?

Pretty irrelevent, however it could hurt turnout among the GOP's  horrific "hate gays" base.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 02:16:58 AM »

Depends on how much publicity it gets.  It certainly won't increase Ford's percentage of the vote, but it could depress turnout among those who were solidly in Corker's camp, and with how close the race is right now, anything to tip the balance in one person's favor is a big deal.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 02:24:44 AM »

Get that doofy looking guy out of the picture!

Anyway, this picture doesn't prove that his daughter is gay in any way...it proves she is a drunk girl at a party looking for attention. Anyway someone offended by this to the point of not coming out to vote should seek help.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:28:23 AM »

Get that doofy looking guy out of the picture!

Anyway, this picture doesn't prove that his daughter is gay in any way...it proves she is a drunk girl at a party looking for attention. Anyway someone offended by this to the point of not coming out to vote should seek help.

Agreed, should be completley irrelevent annd glad that Ford ihas refused comment on this matter.  Unfortunley their are some people in this society (and they tend to be hard line conservative Republicans) who might refuse to back someone over a silly little issue like this because of their nonsensical and rapid hate towards anything that can be even remotley considered homosexual or a homosexual activity. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:36:16 AM »

Certainly I don't expect much sense in my politicians.  I have no real expectations for their offspring.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:55:25 AM »

And to think, I used to like Wendi Thomas.  Wendi is criticizing Bob Corker's use of Ford's family scandals and trying to compare that sort of corruption with a silly kiss in a facebook pic.  The Ford supporters must really be getting desperate now.
NHPolitico

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »

Corker's daughter is an attention whore. She's not a lesbian.

But, she is smoking hot.

(those are red panties with lace trim, in case you didn't realize it)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »

I saw that on CollegeHumor awhile back.  This shouldn't be an issue at all.  I remember there was a similiar "problem" with Tom Davis' daughter who goes to my college (I don't think it amounted to anything).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 10:35:54 AM »

Actually this might make me more likely to vote for Corker.  Those daughters are hot.

[/brtd]
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 01:03:43 PM »

I remember seeing those pics when they were first in the news several months ago.  Interesting to see it suddenly reappear in the news now, of all times.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 01:41:24 PM »

if this is what causes you not to vote for Corker, you should be shot.
mgrossbe
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 02:38:48 PM »

I really can not see it working. Mitch Daniels duaghter had the same thing come up when he ran two years ago. I guess she is gets around as the saying goes. It did absoluty nothing for kernan and was a non issue in a couple days. the only effect it had was she stop campaigning for him on campus.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 04:56:44 PM »

Mitch Daniels daughter is probably the guy's strongest selling point.

I am still baffled at why Hoosiers, who are supposedly loaded with common sense, chose him over Joe Kernan.

I hope Kernan runs again. 
mgrossbe
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 05:10:02 PM »

never will understand that one, i personnally hate mitch i never really say that about anyone but man working up here in the statehouse he is just a piece of work. The only thing i can say that is good is that he pushed thru the time change and that hopefully he will push thru the legislation on removing the stupid blue laws. Hell, he is not going to be reelected might as well do some good before you go. By the way are you in any of the competive races. Also, i wish they would give us some non-internal polling from the third. There is definitly a dem streak up there so maybe we could get four sure would make the no senator strategy worthwhile.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »

Did Bush's daughter's behavior effect him nationally? No, and neither will Corker's. I'm proud to say that I voted for the first time in early voting Friday evening.

Gov. - Bredesen
Sen. - Corker
Rep. - Blackburn (TN-7), it would be Mark White if I still lived in TN-9
Voted Yes on the marraige amendment, and the senior citizen's tax on property.

Also, some other local Germnatown races that I had no clue on, so I voted for the inc.
Why'd you vote for Bredeson? Just curious.
Deano963

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 08:36:39 PM »

I'll be the first to admit that this should be wholly irrelavent,

Normally I would agree with you. But given the racist ads from Corker and the RNC targeting Ford, absolutely everything and anything is fair game now. Corker lowered his ethics in this race to below that of pond scum a long time ago, and now he is getting a taste of his own medicine. I also believe that was the rationale of the reporter who wrote this story.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 01:01:04 AM »

I really think this could make a difference in the base turnout of the religious - but mainly because it was preceded by the Foley scandal. 

While they hate a lesbian, these people hate the male homosexual far more.  So, while this picture is innocuous (and even some religious may understand it is not actually lesbianism), it shows a kind of hedonism they abhor, and they will bolster the alienation from the Republican Party they are feeling. 

Either way, disillusioning to a certain kind of voter that I would wager is about a third of the GOP vote in Tennessee!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies