Would you rather see Knocked Loose or Iron Maiden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:05:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Would you rather see Knocked Loose or Iron Maiden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you rather see Knocked Loose or Iron Maiden?
Knocked Loose

Iron Maiden

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Would you rather see Knocked Loose or Iron Maiden?  (Read 340 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:44:05 PM »

Definitely Knocked Loose. They f[inks]ing kill it live, and I'd rather be waterboarded than see Iron Maiden.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 12:27:16 AM »

Nobody puts on a better show than Maiden.

UP THE IRONS!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 12:32:29 AM »

Definitely Knocked Loose. They f[inks]ing kill it live, and I'd rather be waterboarded than see Iron Maiden.

You'd rather be waterboarded than attend any show outside the narrow genre you obsess over.

When it comes to experiencing culture outside such things you fixate on, your mind is closed tighter than a bank vault.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 12:57:03 AM »

You'd rather be waterboarded than attend any show outside the narrow genre you obsess over.

When it comes to experiencing culture outside such things you fixate on, your mind is closed tighter than a bank vault.

"Genre?" I listen to way more than one genre of music.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 01:26:25 AM »

Nobody puts on a better show than Maiden.

UP THE IRONS!

This, but IMHO everything after Somewhere in Time was poor.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 01:29:33 AM »

Yes, it's impressive how many derivations of emo you'll listen to.

Although you don't even realize it, your views on music are pretty much this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 01:37:19 AM »

This, but IMHO everything after Somewhere in Time was poor.
Aw, you don't like Seventh Son? You're missing out, that's my favorite one.

Their 80s albums will never be topped in my book either, but I still love just about everything they've done since Bruce and Adrian returned in 2000 (+ The X Factor, which is way underrated). No Prayer for the Dying was their worst album followed by Virtual XI, and while Fear of the Dark was a massive improvement (the title track and Afraid to Shoot Strangers being amongst my favorite songs in their catalogue), it was too barebones after Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son started introducing progressive elements. I think Bruce's hiatus was necessary for the band to get their groove back.

Since you don't like Seventh Son, it makes sense why you wouldn't enjoy their newer material, but Brave New World picked up where that album left off and would be good as their 80s stuff if that older material didn't have that iconic mystique that just can't be topped. A Matter of Life and Death and Book of Souls are of that quality too, and they're both pretty unique for the band.
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 01:42:21 AM »

Waterboarding is pretty extreme, don't you think? I know a lot of people who hate metal and don't even listen to Maiden, but they love going to their concerts because of how great their live show is. And why not? The musicians are uber talented and it's fun to watch really great musicians show off and give everything they can, most of the songs are accessible to non-metalheads, they have amazing set designs WITH ROBOT SKELETONS, and believe it or not, the crowd gets really into it. Like, I understand why someone who hates metal would rather do literally anything than see a Cannibal Corpse show, but Iron Maiden? There's plenty of worse ways to kill a couple hours, even if you don't like their music.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 02:45:11 AM »

Yes, it's impressive how many derivations of emo you'll listen to.

Although you don't even realize it, your views on music are pretty much this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk
LOL dude the question is about Knocked Loose, who are not emo.

Probably only about a third or so of what I listen to is emo dude. The rest is pop-punk, hardcore, post-hardcore, melodic hardcore, grindcore, powerviolence, post-rock, indie rock and some types of alternative rock.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 02:55:06 AM »

Waterboarding is pretty extreme, don't you think? I know a lot of people who hate metal and don't even listen to Maiden, but they love going to their concerts because of how great their live show is. And why not? The musicians are uber talented and it's fun to watch really great musicians show off and give everything they can, most of the songs are accessible to non-metalheads, they have amazing set designs WITH ROBOT SKELETONS, and believe it or not, the crowd gets really into it. Like, I understand why someone who hates metal would rather do literally anything than see a Cannibal Corpse show, but Iron Maiden? There's plenty of worse ways to kill a couple hours, even if you don't like their music.

I'd probably feel really uncomfortable, the same way I feel uncomfortable in Trump precincts. You see if I was ever at a concert and most people weren't wearing hardcore, emo or pop-punk band shirts, then it feels wrong and unfamiliar and being in such a strange environment would probably cause me to internally panic in a weird way. Yes this would apply even at a classical concert or something like that. The whole environment is so alien it just feels "wrong".
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 03:14:22 AM »

I'd probably feel really uncomfortable, the same way I feel uncomfortable in Trump precincts. You see if I was ever at a concert and most people weren't wearing hardcore, emo or pop-punk band shirts, then it feels wrong and unfamiliar and being in such a strange environment would probably cause me to internally panic in a weird way. Yes this would apply even at a classical concert or something like that. The whole environment is so alien it just feels "wrong".
What if Eddie shows his feet?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 08:58:10 AM »

Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica, and Aerosmith are the most overrated bands of all time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 09:45:40 AM »

Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica, and Aerosmith are the most overrated bands of all time.

AC/D and Aerosmith definitely yes. The early Iron Maiden and Metallica albums are probably actually underrated because while lots of people know they're awesome, they still don't get the praise they deserve.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 09:53:35 AM »

AC/D and Aerosmith definitely yes. The early Iron Maiden and Metallica albums are probably actually underrated because while lots of people know they're awesome, they still don't get the praise they deserve.

Sizzling hot take:

Later Metallica is vastly superior to early Metallica.

Post-Load and after James Hetfield cut off his mullet.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »

Sizzling hot take:

Later Metallica is vastly superior to early Metallica.

Quite a hot take. Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All would make my top 25 albums of all time, regardless of genre
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 05:35:40 PM »

What if Eddie shows his feet?
Male feet. Yuck.

This local band is much better, because the last time I saw them the singer was wearing these heavy boots that she took off when she got on stage, and then after the first song was like "I'm going to take my socks off"...and I was thinking "Oh wasn't expecting this, the set just got even better!"

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 06:09:23 PM »

I  Would only agree Is for Aerosmith. ACD C had an absolutely unrelenting knack for earworm hooks for earworm hooks, which is the mark of any talented musicians, fcomma from Bach, to Chuck Berry, to The Beatles.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 06:10:19 PM »

That's actually....kind of sad.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 06:12:56 PM »

How do you think you would feel at one of my shows or if you went to Furnace Fest last year?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 06:20:52 PM »

How do you think you would feel at one of my shows or if you went to Furnace Fest last year?

Probably annoyed at the lousy music (that one fest in Vegas you posted a flyer for had a few decent bands i recognized, so maybe not) , but hardly uncomfortable or "alien" .

Nor would I Ever judge the music based on mosh pit activities or T-shirt's worn by other concert goers. That's just weirdly superficial.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 06:24:37 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2022, 06:29:35 PM by The Inherent Beauty of the Stars in January »

Probably annoyed at the lousy music (that one fest in Vegas you posted a flyer for had a few decent bands i recognized, so maybe not) , but hardly uncomfortable or "alien" .

Nor would I Ever judge the music based on mosh pit activities or T-shirt's worn by other concert goers. That's just weirdly superficial.

It's more of a sort of realization that I'm around people who aren't "my crowd." Not that I don't like their shirts or whatever.

Also you think this is lousy music?

Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 06:27:38 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2022, 07:04:53 PM by Klobmentum »

Don't assume Eddie's gender. He may use he/him pronouns, but there's not anything more genderfluid than being a shapeshifting, time-traveling skeleton demon.

Besides, Eddie's All Liberal All the Time!

And he hates Satan:

(I mean, if you're going to make these grand statements about how obviously awful every Iron Maiden song is, you'd think you'd have done enough research to know who Eddie is.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 06:30:50 PM »

I'm actually surprised Iron Maiden is winning by so much.

Like Knocked Loose appeals to a younger crowd, their fans are mostly quite younger than me. And this forum is a mostly young demographic. Iron Maiden meanwhile has a fanbase that's obviously quite older than most people here.
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 06:44:48 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 03:05:56 PM by Klobmentum »

AC/DC and Aerosmith definitely yes. The early Iron Maiden and Metallica albums are probably actually underrated because while lots of people know they're awesome, they still don't get the praise they deserve.
Agree, AC/DC and Aerosmith are overrated, but I don't think you can call Maiden or Metallica underrated.

Metallica is overhated by metal elitists who are too cool for Metallica, so they are underrated by that crowd in the sense that their first four albums, which are as good as any of the inner circle metal masterpieces (Rust In Peace, Paranoid, Painkiller, Human, Reign In Blood, Seventh Son) and metal elitists often diminish them as being more on the level of like the average Overkill album, and the post-Black Album stuff is dismissed completely by elitists when they are, at worst, noticeably above average (St. Anger and Lulu being the exception), so that stuff is underrated. And Metallica gets the double standard for selling out every 80s thrash band sold out in the 90s, even the smaller bands like Flotsam & Jetsam and Exodus — hell, Slayer made two nu metal albums, but they get to keep their metal street cred — and those bands have been forgiven, plus the Loads are better albums than most other 80s thrash bands' attempts at making 90s alt rock. But it's still hard to say the second best selling American rock band of all time (and they'll certainly surpass the Beach Boys for #1 soon) is overrated. Elitists are loud, but most people still love the band. If you see a Metallica show, the 80s fans still sing along to Sad But True, and the Black Album fans still sing along to Ride the Lightning.

Maiden is properly rated, I think. At least their 80s stuff is. Their current stuff is maybe underrated by the masses, but a lot of their setlists are 90% newer material and nobody seems to mind. I think Book of Souls or Final Frontier hit #1 on the charts, too. But largely, I think everyone knows how awesome Iron Maiden is. Except BRTD, I guess.
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 06:49:17 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 03:07:37 PM by Klobmentum »

I'm actually surprised Iron Maiden is winning by so much.

Like Knocked Loose appeals to a younger crowd, their fans are mostly quite younger than me. And this forum is a mostly young demographic. Iron Maiden meanwhile has a fanbase that's obviously quite older than most people here.

The great metal bands are pretty transgenerational. When I saw Black Sabbath on their farewell tour, almost fifty years after their debut, there were far more people under 40 than over. Metallica, Maiden, Megadeth all draw mostly 30-somethings. Priest was the only really huge band where more people were over 40, but it was a big mix. Prog metal draws older crowds, even for younger bands, because it has a lot of crossover with regular prog rock fans, who are disproportionately over 50.

Iron Maiden is more 80s sounding than Metallica for example, whose 80s material could've released today without any changes, but aside from the synths on Somewhere in Time and maybe their more commercial songs like 2 Minutes 2 Midnight, they're relatively timeless. Young people today are still using Maiden as their gateway drug into metal. They're popular with people who don't normally like metal. For a band that never had a true hit single, they're one of the most popular bands of all time; Knocked Loose cannot say the same.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies