SB 107-10: Medical Freedom Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:20:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 107-10: Medical Freedom Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SB 107-10: Medical Freedom Act (Passed)  (Read 4843 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2022, 07:55:35 PM »
« edited: February 24, 2022, 02:01:25 AM by Senator WD, PPT »

AN ACT
To end the overreaching vaccine mandates

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Medical Freedom Act.

Section 2.

1. Effective immediately, all sections of the Immunization Act of 2021 are hereby repealed in their entirety.

Sponsor: Dabbing Santa

The gentleman from Michigan is recognized.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 02:28:18 PM »

It has become clear since the passing of the Immunization Act of 2021 that the vaccine does not prevent transmission of coronavirus, as we have seen with the Omicron variant.  What makes things worse is that this mandate seems to put the onus on healthy adults who are attending schools and contributing to the workforce, not the sick and elderly who are actually filling up the hospitals.  The discrimination we are witnessing in the Scott administration against the unvaccinated should not be tolerated.  Might I remind everyone that we still live in a free country, and that our rights cannot be violated despite any emergencies we might experience.  Furthermore, the long term effects of mRNA technology remain unknown, and for young men, the risks of getting myocarditis, a side effect of the Pfizer vaccine, is far more serious than the China virus.

I would encourage all my colleagues, regardless of party lines, to do research on the implications of SB 105-02, and why it needs to be repealed in its entirety. 
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 02:39:15 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2022, 03:38:33 PM by S019 »

I don’t support this. Also the “China Virus” immediately reveals its user as a hilarious person.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 02:55:11 PM »

I don’t support this. Also the “China Viru” immediately reveals its user as a hilarious person.

Yes, having a sense of humor is great.  You should try it sometime.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 03:17:12 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2022, 05:19:02 PM by The Golden Girls-The Golden Palace-Empty Nest-Nurses Fan ❄️ »

What does the Medical Freedom Act The Immunization Act do specifically? If someone could link the law I would greatly appreciate it.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »

I look forward to voting this drivel down.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 03:35:56 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2022, 03:41:59 PM by Senator WD, PPT »

The Immunization Act was one of our greatest accomplishments under the Sev administration, and thus far it has been one of our greatest tools in combating COVID-19. The majority of my colleagues and I oppose this legislation, and it will be given no quarter.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 04:53:53 PM »

Needless to say, as the author of the law in question, I have no intention of signing this. I'm more than happy to address vaccine misinformation promoted by the sponsor, though. For instance, COVID causes heart damage and the risk of cardiac injury from the virus is much higher than post-vaccine myocarditis. And while getting vaccinated does not guarantee never catching it, they are very effective in preventing COVID from being potentially catastrophic, requiring hospitalization, or causing long-term damage to the heart and lungs.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 05:00:01 PM »

What does the Medical Freedom Act do specifically? If someone could link the law I would greatly appreciate it.

It would repeal the Immunization Act of 2021.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »

Urging the Chamber to table this.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 05:19:54 PM »

Well, I don't favor mandates, so I will support this legislation.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 05:20:31 PM »

Once again, tabling requires a supermajority when it's easier to just vote the bill up or down. I would be surprised if this bill passes but I will veto if it does.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 06:38:19 PM »

Once again, tabling requires a supermajority when it's easier to just vote the bill up or down. I would be surprised if this bill passes but I will veto if it does.

So, you would veto a popular bill because it goes against your political agenda? Guess it will have to wait until I’m president!
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 06:42:12 PM »

So, you would veto a popular bill because it goes against your political agenda? Guess it will have to wait until I’m president!

What makes you so sure this is “popular”?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 06:42:28 PM »

I was elected to do what I see fit, and I've seen no indicators of how popular or unpopular the policy is. Whether the bill dies in the Senate or I veto it, it is not becoming policy as long as I am in the White House.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 06:43:38 PM »

There is a bill on the floor of the Southern Chamber for nullification within the South...
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 06:47:15 PM »

What makes you so sure this is “popular”?

The original law, which is a complete and utter disaster,  passed on party lines.  Much like everything I do, the establishment will say I have no chance.  They are wrong again!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 07:57:50 PM »

I would also add that repealing the bill in its entirety would effectively remove COVID-19 from the list of required immunizations prior to entry in the Republic of Atlasia, let alone resident aliens or prospective citizens. It would be highly unusual to exclude COVID-19 immunization as a condition for entry or immigration/naturalization.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 10:23:29 PM »

How long until we can move to cloture?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 10:28:03 PM »

How long until we can move to cloture?

Not until 120 hours have passed (Wendsday).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 10:28:30 PM »

Needless to say, as the author of the law in question, I have no intention of signing this. I'm more than happy to address vaccine misinformation promoted by the sponsor, though. For instance, COVID causes heart damage and the risk of cardiac injury from the virus is much higher than post-vaccine myocarditis. And while getting vaccinated does not guarantee never catching it, they are very effective in preventing COVID from being potentially catastrophic, requiring hospitalization, or causing long-term damage to the heart and lungs.

Thank you for saying this. I hope the sponsor will apologise for their reckless disregard for the truth, which could put public health at risk.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 12:28:21 AM »

There is a bill on the floor of the Southern Chamber for nullification within the South...

This is why I left the South. Had I stayed and kept putting up with your bubble of derangement, then I'd probably be S019 2.0 by now.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 01:50:02 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 01:53:48 AM by Lincoln Senator Joseph Cao »

According to Lumine:

Around 70% of the population is fully vaccinated and another 10% has received at least a single dosage, but reducing the remaining 20% of unvaccinated Atlasians has proven most difficult, even with the measures of the Immunization Act.

I've made my thoughts on the mandate clear previously. Removing Section 2 isn't going to suddenly cause people to become unvaccinated. On the other hand, keeping it isn't doing anything appreciable to raise vaccination rates among the unvaccinated at this stage, as they are clearly finding ways around it. The falsification mentioned in the GM report is obviously only one such case, so finding and stopping those loopholes seems like a more efficient way to raise vaccination rates than keeping the current state of affairs. I'm not on board with repealing Sections 3 and 4 as they are clearly justified, though, so I'm not willing to go so far as to repeal the entire thing. Expect an amendment on that.

Edit: I see the President has weighed in on Section 3 as well, and I fully agree with what he said.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 02:04:37 AM »

Separately to the (lol tier) reasoning given by the sponsor; I do think i favor this. This mandate may have been a favorable policy in the critical stages of vaccination last year, but it’s clear at this point that they have accomplished all they could; keeping it on the books now is rather pointless. I also don’t particularly think there is any reason to keep sections 3 and 4 if the rest is being eliminated.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 03:51:10 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 03:57:09 AM by President Scott☀️ »

I have to say that supporting the vaccine mandate is something inconsistent with my otherwise libertine views on individual rights. That mandate was intended to be the atom bomb to end mask mandates (which I would argue are far more intrusive), put teachers and students back in the classroom, and reopen society. I emphasized this point heavily a few weeks ago, and I am disappointed that some teachers continue to demand remote learning.

Regardless, 2022 is the year of normalcy. The unvaccinated have had ample time to get the free vaccine and chose not to. At this point, they are ultimately responsible for their own health.

I am open to compromising a sunset clause, but I don't want it any shorter than January 1, 2023. For medical workers, it should be permanent, and we must require proof of vaccination in order to enter the country as either a citizen or non-citizen.

Don't forget folks that hospitals are often congested and have had to turn other patients away. That's not right, and it demonstrates how the choice not to get the vaccine has tangible consequences for other people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies