Australia 2022 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:03:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia 2022 Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37
Author Topic: Australia 2022 Election  (Read 43802 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: May 31, 2022, 09:06:36 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2022, 01:29:25 AM by OCPD Frank »

A summary of the Labor M.Ps
41 Men, 36 women

37 were political staffers, ranging for constituency assistants, to the top advisor to the Prime Minister
23 have law degrees though not all were practicing lawyers
18 were union officials or staffers
14 have at least some private business ownership/executive experience
14 were elected to municipal office, and 5 to state office
11 have degrees or higher in economics
7 have a medical background
9 have a science background, including 5 of the 7 with a medical background (the other is Clare O'Neil who is a psychologist - mental health is still health.)
12 were 'educators.'

Compared to Canada, there is less diversity in background, with a major focus on people who have worked for the party and those with education backgrounds that relate to politics and policy like law and economics.  Not a surprise that a Labor Party would have a fair number of union officials or staffers.

Compared to the U.K, there are many less who have held local office. In the U.K, local office is formally associated with party politics, whereas it isn't in Australia.

Of the 21 with law degrees, 10 of them are in the senior ministry and 5 are in the junior ministry. (Didn't bother with the Assistant Ministers.)

There might be some changes going on there.  There are 17 M.Ps in the '2022 intake.'

Of these, 10 are women and 7 are men.

Of these
5 have at least some private business ownership/executive experience
4 were union officials/staffers
4 have a science background, including two physicians
5 were political staffers
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #851 on: May 31, 2022, 09:09:21 PM »

Isn't republicanism in australia more of a moderate liberal thing than something labour is interested in ? I remember Turnbull was pretty openly republican.

The republic has supporters on both sides, but it's Labor party policy compared to a matter of conscience for the Coalition.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #852 on: May 31, 2022, 09:48:15 PM »

And with Albo announcing his Ministry, I think we can officially declare the election season over.

Among the appointments is Matt Thistlethwaite, who has been made Assistant Minister for the Republic!

What is the Assistant Minister for the Republic? Why does Australia even have a position like that, it isn't even a republic.

Albo is a republican and wants to restart that conversation, but he's also spoken highly of the Queen on a personal level so, as Bruce implies...

(This is my view as well, btw; monarchy is bad, but doing the job competently and more or less benignly for seventy years is pretty damn impressive.)

Makes sense. Personally, I expect a lot of Commonwealth countries to sever ties with the Crown once Charles becomes King. IIRC, some Caribbean countries have already taken steps to do so.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #853 on: June 01, 2022, 01:16:17 AM »

And with Albo announcing his Ministry, I think we can officially declare the election season over.

Among the appointments is Matt Thistlethwaite, who has been made Assistant Minister for the Republic!

What is the Assistant Minister for the Republic? Why does Australia even have a position like that, it isn't even a republic.

Albo is a republican and wants to restart that conversation, but he's also spoken highly of the Queen on a personal level so, as Bruce implies...

(This is my view as well, btw; monarchy is bad, but doing the job competently and more or less benignly for seventy years is pretty damn impressive.)

Makes sense. Personally, I expect a lot of Commonwealth countries to sever ties with the Crown once Charles becomes King. IIRC, some Caribbean countries have already taken steps to do so.

Yeah, Elizabeth II the person is more popular than the monarchy/~The Crown~ the institution in most of the world, and massively more popular than Prince Charles the person pretty much everywhere under the sun. William isn't going over all that well in a lot of places either these days, even though he was popular or seen as popular five or ten years ago.
Pulaski

« Reply #854 on: June 01, 2022, 02:28:27 AM »

Talking about indigenous voice, can someone explain the Uluru Statement from the Heart? Firstly, would the First Nations voice just be an advisory body? And secondly, would it be elected?

I think it's a nice gesture, but the effect could just be slight. Having actual seats in Parliament reserved for First Nations could have a bigger effect and there is precedent for it in NZ, but that is understandably divisive and not the ideal thing to have in a democracy. Hopefully the Uluru Statement is explained well before a referendum to the public, otherwise people could just reflexively reject it.

Australia has had a long history of employing paternalistic attitudes toward its Indigenous people, with many policies that were apparently implemented for the benefit of Indigenous communities seeming to have stemmed from an implied proposition that they didn't know what they needed or what's best for them, hence the Uluru Statement's request for Voice Treaty Truth, which represents the consensus of Indigenous leaders in seeking recognition through a specific sequence of reforms: the constitutional establishment of a First Nations representative body to provide advice to the Parliament & Government on laws & policies that impact them, not a 3rd chamber in Parliament that can reject legislation, bring forward legislation, impact the government's C&S, etc., but just an elected, pure voice that the government has to hear & can't just choose to ignore; said representative body negotiating the establishment of a commission to supervise a process of treaty-making between governments & First Nations; & then, & only then, truth-telling about history, because putting truth-telling first asks the people to pour their hearts out before the government has actually, y'know, committed to any changes that would actually make things better. There's been plenty of truth-telling for a long time, but without a commitment to change, no commission, report, inquiry, court case, or even activist movement has actually managed to improve things.

Now, treaties would play a very important role in going a long way toward implementing that positive change, hence their presence at the heart of the Uluru Statement, but the treaty process will require First Nations to be equal negotiating partners so that it can't be rushed like in QLD & so that decade-long negotiations will actually focus on land restitution, compensation, & legitimate self-determination. A constitutionally enshrined Voice goes first so that such a body can be already set-up to properly represent First Nations in holding the government to account, thereby ensuring that, if the government changes in the meantime, the next Coalition government can't just scrap the whole process. A Voice in the Constitution won't impact sovereignty, but treaties will, hence desire for a proper process & real Indigenous oversight.

Basically, the Indigenous community has said that the Uluru Statement represents what they wanna see happen. It's now up to the rest of Australia to listen to them, rather than to try & "improve" it or to deride it as tokenistic, as the Libs have.

A good summary. I was adamantly in favour of a treaty until I went to Te Papa and learnt more about the challenges/translation issues around Waitangi. And that was with one indigenous group with one language - here in Australia we have hundreds of indigenous groups with their own languages. Doesn’t mean a treaty isn’t worth pursuing or the right thing to do, but it certainly makes the situation a lot more complicated.

Becoming a republic has come up on the last page along with reconciliation, and I’ve often thought an elegant solution might be to combine the two - constitutionally the Australian head of state has to be Indigenous, and is an advocate to the government on First Nations issues (while remaining apolitical). This could be combined with Uluru to have the new Indigenous body elect such a figurehead (who essentially functions much as the current Governor-General does).

It’d never pass a referendum, I fear.
Pulaski

« Reply #855 on: June 01, 2022, 02:42:36 AM »

Isn't republicanism in australia more of a moderate liberal thing than something labour is interested in ? I remember Turnbull was pretty openly republican.

It’s really a “nothing” thing at this stage as discussion on it has been pretty much nonexistent since the referendum 23 years ago. But Bruce is right; it’s Labor party policy officially, and only a conscience matter on the Liberal side.

More broadly, it’s probably an issue that cuts across the political spectrum; I know Labor voters who take an “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” approach and there are some fairly right-wing Liberals (and even Nationals) who are openly republican, e.g. George Christensen. Frydenberg is a republican too, and he was in the right-wing faction of the Libs until his reinvention.

But overall, monarchists are probably greatest in number on the Coalition side, if only for that John Howard/Tony Abbott/Bronwyn Bishop section of the party that still persists.
Pulaski

« Reply #856 on: June 01, 2022, 02:48:52 AM »

8 have a science background, including 5 of the 6 with a medical background (the other is Clare O'Neil who is a psychologist - mental health is still health.)

Are you thinking of someone else? Clare O’Neil graduated in law and public policy.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #857 on: June 01, 2022, 03:17:35 AM »

8 have a science background, including 5 of the 6 with a medical background (the other is Clare O'Neil who is a psychologist - mental health is still health.)

Are you thinking of someone else? Clare O’Neil graduated in law and public policy.

Oops, sorry, I meant Amanda Rishworth, the Social Services Minister.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #858 on: June 01, 2022, 03:47:31 AM »

Talking about indigenous voice, can someone explain the Uluru Statement from the Heart? Firstly, would the First Nations voice just be an advisory body? And secondly, would it be elected?

I think it's a nice gesture, but the effect could just be slight. Having actual seats in Parliament reserved for First Nations could have a bigger effect and there is precedent for it in NZ, but that is understandably divisive and not the ideal thing to have in a democracy. Hopefully the Uluru Statement is explained well before a referendum to the public, otherwise people could just reflexively reject it.

Australia has had a long history of employing paternalistic attitudes toward its Indigenous people, with many policies that were apparently implemented for the benefit of Indigenous communities seeming to have stemmed from an implied proposition that they didn't know what they needed or what's best for them, hence the Uluru Statement's request for Voice Treaty Truth, which represents the consensus of Indigenous leaders in seeking recognition through a specific sequence of reforms: the constitutional establishment of a First Nations representative body to provide advice to the Parliament & Government on laws & policies that impact them, not a 3rd chamber in Parliament that can reject legislation, bring forward legislation, impact the government's C&S, etc., but just an elected, pure voice that the government has to hear & can't just choose to ignore; said representative body negotiating the establishment of a commission to supervise a process of treaty-making between governments & First Nations; & then, & only then, truth-telling about history, because putting truth-telling first asks the people to pour their hearts out before the government has actually, y'know, committed to any changes that would actually make things better. There's been plenty of truth-telling for a long time, but without a commitment to change, no commission, report, inquiry, court case, or even activist movement has actually managed to improve things.

Now, treaties would play a very important role in going a long way toward implementing that positive change, hence their presence at the heart of the Uluru Statement, but the treaty process will require First Nations to be equal negotiating partners so that it can't be rushed like in QLD & so that decade-long negotiations will actually focus on land restitution, compensation, & legitimate self-determination. A constitutionally enshrined Voice goes first so that such a body can be already set-up to properly represent First Nations in holding the government to account, thereby ensuring that, if the government changes in the meantime, the next Coalition government can't just scrap the whole process. A Voice in the Constitution won't impact sovereignty, but treaties will, hence desire for a proper process & real Indigenous oversight.

Basically, the Indigenous community has said that the Uluru Statement represents what they wanna see happen. It's now up to the rest of Australia to listen to them, rather than to try & "improve" it or to deride it as tokenistic, as the Libs have.

A good summary. I was adamantly in favour of a treaty until I went to Te Papa and learnt more about the challenges/translation issues around Waitangi. And that was with one indigenous group with one language - here in Australia we have hundreds of indigenous groups with their own languages. Doesn’t mean a treaty isn’t worth pursuing or the right thing to do, but it certainly makes the situation a lot more complicated.

Becoming a republic has come up on the last page along with reconciliation, and I’ve often thought an elegant solution might be to combine the two - constitutionally the Australian head of state has to be Indigenous, and is an advocate to the government on First Nations issues (while remaining apolitical). This could be combined with Uluru to have the new Indigenous body elect such a figurehead (who essentially functions much as the current Governor-General does).

Ain't that the unfortunate likely truth. I'd imagine that what you'll see with regards to the republic, separately from (& well after) the Voice to Parliament referendum, is a 2-step vote: first, a plebiscite (which could be anything from an optional or compulsory attendance one to a straight-up repeat of the 2017 postal survey) on which particular model of republic - either a directly-elected G.G.-like President like Ireland's or a G.G.-like President appointed by Parliament like in '99 - would then be voted on in the constitutional referendum, so there's hopefully no republican split in the final vote this time, but you'll still hear opposition to "giving corrupt politicians more power," esp. if anyone thinks that it'd create a U.S.-style presidency.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #859 on: June 01, 2022, 04:07:37 AM »

Ain't that the unfortunate likely truth. I'd imagine that what you'll see with regards to the republic, separately from (& well after) the Voice to Parliament referendum, is a 2-step vote: first, a plebiscite (which could be anything from an optional or compulsory attendance one to a straight-up repeat of the 2017 postal survey) on which particular model of republic - either a directly-elected G.G.-like President like Ireland's or a G.G.-like President appointed by Parliament like in '99 - would then be voted on in the constitutional referendum, so there's hopefully no republican split in the final vote this time, but you'll still hear opposition to "giving corrupt politicians more power," esp. if anyone thinks that it'd create a U.S.-style presidency.

To even get a referendum passed, it needs a majority of the national vote and a majority of states and territories to vote in favour as well. Referendums have a very high threshold here.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #860 on: June 01, 2022, 07:25:32 AM »

Talking of Katter and  the indigenous, one of his bits is that he seems to believe he has achieved aboriginal status, and rants about "Whitefellas".
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #861 on: June 01, 2022, 08:00:57 AM »

A nail biter on who will win the highest primary % in their electorate.  The declines across the board are certainly interesting.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #862 on: June 01, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »

Compared to Canada, there is less diversity in background, with a major focus on people who have worked for the party and those with education backgrounds that relate to politics and policy like law and economics.  Not a surprise that a Labor Party would have a fair number of union officials or staffers.

One really interesting metric to look at is how many houses each MP owns.  The ABC had a list of all the politicians from four or five years ago, with the number of properties that they owned.  Needless to say, non-owners were few and far in between. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #863 on: June 01, 2022, 10:20:14 AM »

I know there is counting left to do but is there a list of Green target seats anywhere?
Epaminondas

« Reply #864 on: June 01, 2022, 10:21:45 AM »

Has anyone a link to the closest marginals in order of closeness? Gilmore tops out this time at 0.2%.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #865 on: June 02, 2022, 01:52:09 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2022, 01:56:02 AM by OCPD Frank »

I missed some M.Ps earlier in the various categories, so I'll throw this to the board.

Labor M.Ps with law degrees
1.Andrew Leigh, lawyer and economics professor
2.Jason Clare, Bachelor of laws
3.Kristy McBain, lawyer
4.Michelle Rowland, telecommunications firm senior lawyer
5.Tony Burke, Bachelor of laws
6.Stephen Jones, lawyer
7.Shayne Neumann, family law lawyer and firm partner
8.Anika Wells, compensation law lawyer
9.Graham Perrett, solicitor
10.Mark Butler, Bachelor of laws
11.Julian Hill, Bachelor of laws
12.Richard Marles, labor lawyer
13.Peta Murphy, lawyer and legal aid senior public defender
14.Daniel Mulino, Bachelor of laws
15.Tim Watts, lawyer and Telstra coporate relations manager
16.Brendan O'Connor, lawyer
17.Clare O'Neil, lawyer
18.Mark Dreyfus, lawyer and Law Council of Australia Director
19.Bill Shorten, lawyer
20.Andrew Giles, labor lawyer
21.Peter Khalil, Bachelor of laws
22.Madeleine King, commercial law lawyer
23.Matt Keogh, commercial litigation lawyer and former federal prosecutor

Union Officials/Staffers
1.David Smith, professionals Australia union Australian Capital Territory director
2.Ed Husic, CEPU national president
3.Matt Thistlewaite, Australian workers union New South Wales vice president
4.Pat Conroy, Australian manufacturing workers union national economist
5.Tony Burke, SDA union organiser
6.Stephen Jones, community and public sector union national secretary
7.Marion Scrymgour, 'union activist' (whatever that means)
8.Mark Butler, HMU union South Australian secretary
9.Amanda Rishworth, SDA union organiser
10.Matt Burnell, transport workers union organiser
11.Lisa Chesters, United Voice union organiser
12.Carina Garland, Victorian trades hall council assistant secretary
13.Ged Kearney, President Australian council of trade unions
14.Richard Marles, Australian countil of trade unions assistant secretary
15.Brendan O'Connor, Australian services union assistant national secretary
16.Cassandra Fernando, SDA union organiser
17.Bill Shorten, Australian workers union national secretary
18.Patrick Gorman, United Voice union director

Business
1.Jerome Laxale, family beauty products company director
2.Jason Clare, Transurban Inc. executive
3.Emma McBride, Bendigo bank branch director
4.Dan Repacholi, engineering business owner
5.Susan Templeman, owner 'Media Skills' (consultancy)
6.Andrew Charlton, co-owner Alpha Beta Strategies
7.Meryl Swanson, cafe owner
8.Shayne Neumann, family law lawyer and firm partner
9.Tony Zappia, fitness centres owner
10.Brian Mitchell, P.R and communications firm owner
11.Daniel Mulino, Pottinger Inc director of policy
12.Anne Aly, Anti terrorism consultant (or something like that)
13.Tania Lawrence, Beelu Forest Distilling Company managing director
14.Sam Lim, small business owner

Economics
1.Alicia Payne, B.A-economics, National Centre for Social and Economic Modeling researcher
2.Andrew Leigh, PhD-Public Policy, economics professor
3.Anthony Albanese, B.A-economics
4.Matt Thislewaite, B.A-economics
5.Chris Bowen, B.A-economics
6.Andrew Charlton, PhD-economics, P.M Kevin Rudd chief economics advisor
7.Pat Conroy, B.A-economics, Australian manufacturing workers union national economist
8.Fiona Phillips, B.A-economics
9.Shayne Neumann, B.A-government and economics
10.Daniel Molino, PhD-economics
11.Tania Lawrence, B.A-economics

Medical
1.Emma McBride, hospital chief pharmacist
2.Mike Freelander, hospital paediatrician and lecturer
3.Gordon Reid, emergency department physician
4.Amanda Rishworth, clinical psychologist
5.Catherine King, Australian health department director of injury prevention
6.Ged Kearney, registered nurse and nurse education manager
7.Michelle Ananda-Rajah, infectious disease physician and clinician

Science
1.Emma McBride, Bsc-pharmacy, hospital chief phamacist
2.Dan Repacholi, engineering business owner (seems to know about science)
3.Mike Freelander, M.D, hospital paediatrician and lecturer
4.Gordon Reid, M.D, emergency department physician
5.Julian Hill, Bsc-chemistry
6.Ged Kearney, Bsc-Nursing, registered nurse and nurse education manager
7.Michelle Anandah-Rajah, M.D, infectious disease physician and clinician
8.Madeiline King, Bsc-aerospace engineering (I think)
9.Zaeta Mascarendras, Bsc-engineering, engineer

Educators
1.Andrew Leigh, economics professor
2.Linda Burney, teacher and education consultant
3.Mike Freelander, hospital paediatrician and lecturer
4.Fiona Phillips, commerce lecturer
5.Graham Perrett, teacher
6.Amanda Rishworth, swimming instructor
7.Maria Vamvakinou, high school teacher
8.Ged Kearney, nurse education manager and former nurse educator
9.Libby Coker, diploma-education, Victorian department of education manager (whatever that means)
10.Joanne Ryan, primary school principal
11.Anne Aly, terrorism professor
12.Josh Wilson, lecturer

Municipal office holders
1.Jerome Laxale, Ryde mayor
2.Kristy McBain, Bega Valley Shire mayor
3.Michelle Rowland, Blacktown deputy mayor
4.Chris Bowen, Fairfield mayor
5.Sharon Claydon, Newcastle city councilor
6.Anne Stanley, Liverpool city councilor
7.Milton Dick, Brisbane city councilor
8.Tony Zappia, Salisbury mayor
9.Julian Hill, Port Phillip mayor
10.Maria Vamvakinou, Northcote city councilor
11.Libby Coker, Surf Coast Shire mayor
12.Clare O'Neil, Greater Dendenong mayor
13.Josh Wilson, Fremantle city councilor
14.Tracey Roberts, Wanneroo mayor

I said I had obsessive compulsive personality disorder!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #866 on: June 07, 2022, 03:05:47 PM »

I missed some M.Ps earlier in the various categories, so I'll throw this to the board.

Labor M.Ps with law degrees
1.Andrew Leigh, lawyer and economics professor
2.Jason Clare, Bachelor of laws
3.Kristy McBain, lawyer
4.Michelle Rowland, telecommunications firm senior lawyer
5.Tony Burke, Bachelor of laws
6.Stephen Jones, lawyer
7.Shayne Neumann, family law lawyer and firm partner
8.Anika Wells, compensation law lawyer
9.Graham Perrett, solicitor
10.Mark Butler, Bachelor of laws
11.Julian Hill, Bachelor of laws
12.Richard Marles, labor lawyer
13.Peta Murphy, lawyer and legal aid senior public defender
14.Daniel Mulino, Bachelor of laws
15.Tim Watts, lawyer and Telstra coporate relations manager
16.Brendan O'Connor, lawyer
17.Clare O'Neil, lawyer
18.Mark Dreyfus, lawyer and Law Council of Australia Director
19.Bill Shorten, lawyer
20.Andrew Giles, labor lawyer
21.Peter Khalil, Bachelor of laws
22.Madeleine King, commercial law lawyer
23.Matt Keogh, commercial litigation lawyer and former federal prosecutor

Union Officials/Staffers
1.David Smith, professionals Australia union Australian Capital Territory director
2.Ed Husic, CEPU national president
3.Matt Thistlewaite, Australian workers union New South Wales vice president
4.Pat Conroy, Australian manufacturing workers union national economist
5.Tony Burke, SDA union organiser
6.Stephen Jones, community and public sector union national secretary
7.Marion Scrymgour, 'union activist' (whatever that means)
8.Mark Butler, HMU union South Australian secretary
9.Amanda Rishworth, SDA union organiser
10.Matt Burnell, transport workers union organiser
11.Lisa Chesters, United Voice union organiser
12.Carina Garland, Victorian trades hall council assistant secretary
13.Ged Kearney, President Australian council of trade unions
14.Richard Marles, Australian countil of trade unions assistant secretary
15.Brendan O'Connor, Australian services union assistant national secretary
16.Cassandra Fernando, SDA union organiser
17.Bill Shorten, Australian workers union national secretary
18.Patrick Gorman, United Voice union director

Business
1.Jerome Laxale, family beauty products company director
2.Jason Clare, Transurban Inc. executive
3.Emma McBride, Bendigo bank branch director
4.Dan Repacholi, engineering business owner
5.Susan Templeman, owner 'Media Skills' (consultancy)
6.Andrew Charlton, co-owner Alpha Beta Strategies
7.Meryl Swanson, cafe owner
8.Shayne Neumann, family law lawyer and firm partner
9.Tony Zappia, fitness centres owner
10.Brian Mitchell, P.R and communications firm owner
11.Daniel Mulino, Pottinger Inc director of policy
12.Anne Aly, Anti terrorism consultant (or something like that)
13.Tania Lawrence, Beelu Forest Distilling Company managing director
14.Sam Lim, small business owner

Economics
1.Alicia Payne, B.A-economics, National Centre for Social and Economic Modeling researcher
2.Andrew Leigh, PhD-Public Policy, economics professor
3.Anthony Albanese, B.A-economics
4.Matt Thislewaite, B.A-economics
5.Chris Bowen, B.A-economics
6.Andrew Charlton, PhD-economics, P.M Kevin Rudd chief economics advisor
7.Pat Conroy, B.A-economics, Australian manufacturing workers union national economist
8.Fiona Phillips, B.A-economics
9.Shayne Neumann, B.A-government and economics
10.Daniel Molino, PhD-economics
11.Tania Lawrence, B.A-economics

Medical
1.Emma McBride, hospital chief pharmacist
2.Mike Freelander, hospital paediatrician and lecturer
3.Gordon Reid, emergency department physician
4.Amanda Rishworth, clinical psychologist
5.Catherine King, Australian health department director of injury prevention
6.Ged Kearney, registered nurse and nurse education manager
7.Michelle Ananda-Rajah, infectious disease physician and clinician

Science
1.Emma McBride, Bsc-pharmacy, hospital chief phamacist
2.Dan Repacholi, engineering business owner (seems to know about science)
3.Mike Freelander, M.D, hospital paediatrician and lecturer
4.Gordon Reid, M.D, emergency department physician
5.Julian Hill, Bsc-chemistry
6.Ged Kearney, Bsc-Nursing, registered nurse and nurse education manager
7.Michelle Anandah-Rajah, M.D, infectious disease physician and clinician
8.Madeiline King, Bsc-aerospace engineering (I think)
9.Zaeta Mascarendras, Bsc-engineering, engineer

Educators
1.Andrew Leigh, economics professor
2.Linda Burney, teacher and education consultant
3.Mike Freelander, hospital paediatrician and lecturer
4.Fiona Phillips, commerce lecturer
5.Graham Perrett, teacher
6.Amanda Rishworth, swimming instructor
7.Maria Vamvakinou, high school teacher
8.Ged Kearney, nurse education manager and former nurse educator
9.Libby Coker, diploma-education, Victorian department of education manager (whatever that means)
10.Joanne Ryan, primary school principal
11.Anne Aly, terrorism professor
12.Josh Wilson, lecturer

Municipal office holders
1.Jerome Laxale, Ryde mayor
2.Kristy McBain, Bega Valley Shire mayor
3.Michelle Rowland, Blacktown deputy mayor
4.Chris Bowen, Fairfield mayor
5.Sharon Claydon, Newcastle city councilor
6.Anne Stanley, Liverpool city councilor
7.Milton Dick, Brisbane city councilor
8.Tony Zappia, Salisbury mayor
9.Julian Hill, Port Phillip mayor
10.Maria Vamvakinou, Northcote city councilor
11.Libby Coker, Surf Coast Shire mayor
12.Clare O'Neil, Greater Dendenong mayor
13.Josh Wilson, Fremantle city councilor
14.Tracey Roberts, Wanneroo mayor

I said I had obsessive compulsive personality disorder!
Thanks for the very thorough run-down.
xelas81
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #867 on: June 08, 2022, 07:35:04 AM »

It doesn't look like final senate results have came out.
Does anyone have the date when final Senate results will come out?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #868 on: June 08, 2022, 11:41:12 AM »

It doesn't look like final senate results have came out.
Does anyone have the date when final Senate results will come out?

The deadline for the return of writs is June 28th, & the AEC may require the entire allowable period to complete the count & formally declare the results.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #869 on: June 16, 2022, 06:29:38 AM »

Confirmed, Eric Abetz is gone from the Senate!

JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #870 on: June 16, 2022, 10:07:12 AM »

Has anybody got an estimate of how many seats would have been won by Labor and the Coalition had they been the final contenders in every seat? I know the 2PP will come out eventually and answer this, but can guesses be made based on expected swing from last time, Senate results etc?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #871 on: June 16, 2022, 10:16:56 AM »

Confirmed, Eric Abetz is gone from the Senate!

Interestingly I was reading about him today. He's the politician who complained about the accuracy of the movie Rabbit Proof Fence.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #872 on: June 16, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »

Has anybody got an estimate of how many seats would have been won by Labor and the Coalition had they been the final contenders in every seat? I know the 2PP will come out eventually and answer this, but can guesses be made based on expected swing from last time, Senate results etc?
Labor would've won the 4 Green seats, Fowler in Sydney and Clark in Tasmania. Mayo would've been close, but I suspect Labor (they're currently ahead). All else likely Coalition, so 83/84 to 68/69.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #873 on: June 17, 2022, 02:08:13 AM »

An interesting, and surprising, feature of this election is that Labor's vote appears to be more efficient than the Coalition vote now. If the two party preferred vote had tied, Labor would still have 73 seats and the Coalition would have just 62 or 63 (Curtin was the only super close teal win). The teal independents did so well that they reversed the Coalition's vote efficiency. Labor was also lucky with where they got the swings to them, with good performances in the marginal seats and tended to only lose support to the Coalition in seats that were not the most marginal in 2019. A big question will be what happens to the teals, and even the new Green MPs, because otherwise the Coalition could need a 6% swing just to win a majority.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #874 on: June 22, 2022, 06:02:49 AM »

All the ballots have been counted as all seats have been declared. The final turnout feel bellow 90% for the first time since 1922, just before compulsory voting was introduced.

The final TPP numbers have Labor at 52.1% and the Coalition at 47.9%.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies