Australia 2022 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:03:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia 2022 Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 37
Author Topic: Australia 2022 Election  (Read 43570 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: May 24, 2022, 02:35:53 AM »

How strong is party discipline, will labour have any trouble keeping it's MP's in line ?

Crossing the floor is more of a Coalition phenomenon.
But isn't the ALP also infamous for factional infighting ? how comes that doesn't lead to their MP's crossing the floor or breaking with the whips
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #726 on: May 24, 2022, 03:56:55 AM »

Speaking as a paid up member of the ALP i remind you that members have to all sign the Pledge.

https://australianpolitics.com/parties/alp/the-alp-pledge
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #727 on: May 24, 2022, 04:52:55 AM »

You know, it's less the fact that there are still uncalled seats 3 days after the vote, and more that the counting seems to be going at the pace of 2-3% per day. At this rate it's going to take two weeks to have final results.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #728 on: May 24, 2022, 05:28:28 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2022, 06:50:39 AM by Meclazine »

Richard Marles happy to have his face on this news story. I am surprised they did not choose him for PM candidate/leader of opposition.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-24/labor-turns-back-election-day-asylum-seeker-boat-arrival/101095322

They waited 6 years for a Labor victory and got turned back.

"Rear Admiral Justin Jones said Australia's policy on illegal boat arrivals has not changed since Labor formed government.

"We will intercept any vessel seeking to reach Australia illegally, and safely return those on board to their point of departure or country of origin, or if not safe to do so, they will be transferred to regional processing," he said.

If Labor keep up this policy, they will keep a lot of voters happy and be able to advance climate policy with no disruption.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #729 on: May 24, 2022, 05:41:47 AM »

You know, it's less the fact that there are still uncalled seats 3 days after the vote, and more that the counting seems to be going at the pace of 2-3% per day. At this rate it's going to take two weeks to have final results.

Well the Senate always takes a month of Sundays to count anyway. I rather a manual count with scrutineers than trust a machine than could be manipulated and abused by nefarious interests.

Also...
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #730 on: May 24, 2022, 07:01:31 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2022, 08:27:45 AM by Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR) »

I love the irony that arises from this election. Labor's vote went backwards and yet will still win enough seats to win government (might get to 78). The Liberals hold 16 of the poorest 20 seats. While Labor now hold more (7) of the richest 20 seats than the Coalition does (5). So much for the party of the working class.

IMO, the Coalition lost because they stood for nothing. My centrist and non political friends have made this evident throughout the whole campaign. You know people who actually change their vote.  I think this combined with people who don't know the Australian constitution. Essentially people who maximize the powers of the Prime Minister and minimize the powers of the State Premiers. Ironically even with power mad Premier's during Covid, hasn't been enough to show these people how little power the Feds have relative to the States.

Pig Iron Bob didn't start the Liberal party to fight for forgotten people living in freaking mansions. These Ivory mansion dwellers are the self important people who increasingly vote for "progressive" candidates. People who can afford any cost of living increase pressures brought about from 'green' policies that will only end up hurting the middle and working classes. Meanwhile they can feel morally superior about making bees private parts worth of difference to global output.

Australia should got nuclear. We've got the resources. We have a bit of the desert that has already been nuked, dump the waste there. This will get us off the carbon intensive power the Teals and Greens are so worried about. The fact that they consider a Nuclear option as off the table proves to me that they aren't serious about combating climate change. Without nuclear as an option the cost of electricity will bite the Teal's, Labor, and Greens in the posterior with the electorate long term. This is actually a great opportunity for the Coalition to stand for something that will benefit everyone.

Also while there are several people a Federal ICAC can go after, if it doesn't go after CCP Sam (Dastyari), it's another case of gutless appearance over outcome, closing the gate after the horse had bolted.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #731 on: May 24, 2022, 07:27:26 AM »

Corangamite - interesting one. This seat is basically a suburban Geelong one at this point with some seachanger influence. Given the demographics I have a hard time seeing this seat flip but supposedly the Liberals are semi-confident. Their candidate is very well-known in the swingier part of the electorate which might help? But I suspect it will stay Labor.
So....can somone explain why the Liberals were confident here? At least some of the visits the Liberals made in some of their possible gains at least made some sense based on the results (either small swings or swings towards them), here we saw a pretty massive swing that makes the seat safer for Labor than some seats that were hitherto seen as safe Labor seats. This one looks like it might be gone for the Liberals for good.

Dunkley - historically Liberal held, this seat shed a large chunk of Liberal territory before 2019 to become more overtly based on Frankston turning it into a Labor seat. There has been talk that Andrews is on the nose in suburban Melbourne which might cause headaches for Labor given that the seat is still quite marginal. But it doesn't sound like the Libs are too confident here, so I suspect this stays Labor.
The swing was not as big as it was in Corangamite, but I suspect this one would need a Liberal landslide to become interesting again. Looking at the seat demographically though apart from Mount Eliza it voting Liberal was a bit strange anyway, it's not exactly a wealthy area.

McEwen - I think if there is an anti-Andrews backlash in the suburbs, it'll be most keenly felt in the North which seems the most anti-lockdown part of Melbourne. This is the only North/West Melbourne seat that is remotely marginal so it's probably the only seat to watch for that effect, and it does sound like the Liberals are optimistic here. Still, a 5% margin is large....very large when the rest of the country is likely to swing the other way. And the sitting MP is recontesting so there'll be no loss of personal vote to influence a swing here. So  even if it swings Liberal, this should stay Labor.
It did at least swing Liberal, and might be close enough for a potential Liberal gain in 2025 if things pan out badly for the Labor government. But it does appear that the Liberals were a bit too excited about this seat.

Jagajaga - this is a strange seat. Some legitimately inner-city areas, some very working-class areas, some wealthy suburbs. Overall this generally balances out to a safe enough Labor seat. Will stay Labor.
And how! A 6% swing makes this a safer seat than much of Labor's fifedoms in the Western Suburbs. I guess the inner city areas revolted hard against the Liberals.

Macnamara - I remember thinking Labor was doomed here once Danby retired after the 2016 results. Strong performances in inner-city areas in 2019 however helped Labor, and it seems likely that this part of the world will continue to trend Labor medium-term. A complicating factor will be the Greens, who were about 7% behind Labor in 2019. If there is a significant leftie backlash towards Labor it could hit here. But it doesn't seem like the Greens are that optimistic of flipping it, and I think Labor's position against the Greens should be safe enough.
The closest thing the election has given to a proper three-way marginal. Labor has the slight edge on the primary vote though, so unless preferences do odd things here they should be safe enough. Still, it's not a seat that I'd be feeling confident about if I were Labor especially if the AEC finally succeed in swapping the Caulfield area for Prahran....

Isaacs - given the election this should be safe Labor, especially as the Liberal candidate has a few problems with lying about residency. In future elections I could see this being tight as much of the territory is classic marginal territory at the state level, but this doesn't apply to 2022 and will obviously be future election dependent.
Status quo kind of result here. Boring.

Bruce - it's crazy to think how much the seat has changed in the last few years. The historic version combined Dandenong with Glen Waverley, then it became a purely Dandenong seat, now it has the Narre Warren area to go with Dandenong. In this time it's gone from a Labor-leaning seat to a very safe Labor one to a fairly safe Labor one. Unless it keeps moving east this should be Labor-held in the long-term.
Another seat where the vote barely budged from 2019. Though the electorate did deliver some odd swings, especially in the more working-class areas of the seat.

Wills - an interestingly balanced seat between traditional working-class areas in the north of the seat and inner-city progressive areas in the south. This should stay Labor for this election but the margin against the Greens will be interesting to watch, especially as Khalil doesn't seem a great fit for the south of the seat.
Actually swung slightly Labor on the 2PP vote, though I expect the Greens will remain competitive here for years to come.

Bendigo - one under-rated factor in Victoria becoming so much harder for the Coalition to win has been the trend in Victoria's provincial cities. This was for many years a classic marginal that flipped lots of different ways. Now it's basically unwinnable for the Liberals unless it's a landslide year in their favour. Which 2022 won't be.
The margin here is safer than in Gorton and Gellibrand, and the same as Calwell. Even a landslide year won't flip this seat at this point I suspect.

Holt - on paper the margin for Labor here is safe. But Byrne is retiring and he seemed to have a very strong personal vote given that the area at the state level is fairly marginal. This won't be competitive this year, but the margin and swing will be interesting to watch.
There was a slight swing against Labor here, but it wasn't anywhere near enough to threaten the seat and the seat still looks reasonably secure going forward.

Hawke - new seat based on Melbourne's satellite cities (Sunbury, Melton, Bacchus Marsh). Margin is safely Labor, and it would've comfortably voted Labor in past elections too so this should be an easy win for Labor. But could there be an above-average anti-Andrews backlash given the lack of a sitting MP?
There was a reasonable swing against Labor here, though again it wasn't anywhere near enough to threaten Labor. It wasn't even that big compared to a few other Western Suburbs seats either!

Ballarat - it's crazy to think that this was won by the Liberals as recently as 1998. Labor have done an excellent job in turning what was previously a marginal seat into safe territory.
The seat just keeps getting safer.

Maribyrnong - Bill Shorten's seat. This seat does have more genuinely marginal territory than is average for Western Melbourne so the margin could be interesting in the right circumstances. But there's no question about who wins this.
The inner-city trends saw this swing Labor even as much of the Western Suburbs swung away from them.

Corio - Geelong was competitive once upon a time, but it has since solidfied for Labor to go with the working-class north which has long been Labor. Fun fact - I know the Lib Dem candidate for the seat.
Another regional seat that is now safer than much of the Western Suburbs.

Hotham - on the 2019 boundaries, this could have been somewhat competitive in a better election for the Liberals. On the current ones.....
Decent sized Labor swing, which perhaps isn't surprising given the large Chinese population here.

Lalor - safe Labor seat despite the dud local MP. Margin might be interesting to watch for any populist right backlash.
The UAP did do reasonably OK here, but unlike a few other seats there wasn't much of a populist right presence otherwise, hence the slight Labor swing rather than solid Liberal swing.

Gellibrand - as above (ignorning the dud local MP factor). The Point Cook area could be interesting as the area becomes more mature and desirable, but that's quite long-term.
Point Cook stayed pretty stable this election. The area did trend slightly right but there wasn't a particularly significant populist right vote here.

Gorton - another safe Labor seat in the Western Suburbs. I feel like this seat could be prone to a high UAP vote, so the swing could be interesting.
Labor's margin falls below 10%, which isn't ideal and was probably a sign of both One Nation and the UAP polling well. Still a long way away from being vulnerable though.

Cooper - looks very safe, but the Greens candidate at the last election kind of imploded and the new one seems to be very strong so I would expect them to improve on 2019. But without Feeney I don't think the Greens can get as close as they did in 2016.
Liddle did a pretty fantastic job to get a reasonably sized swing in her favour, but absent Labor giving them a gift of a candidate to run against they likely won't go that close to winning the seat in the short-term.

Fraser - safe Labor. The Footscray area is getting more Greeny so I think they could get some strong numbers there, but the rest of the seat is very working-class so it's unlikely to matter much.
Interesting to look at the booth results here - the left held up very well in the Footscray area but the more diverse parts of the seat did see quite a significant backlash against Labor. Although the Trots still managed to outpoll Clive....

Caldwell - very safe Labor. The area seems cooker friendly so the UAP vote here will be one to watch.
This produced the biggest pro-Liberal swing on 2PP in the country, and was best symbolised by the UAP nearly outpolling the Greens. Still, I'm sure if Labor could choose a seat to get big swings against them, it might well be in seats they polled 70% in the past election...

Scullin - the safest Labor seat full stop (though Cooper, Wills and Grayndler beat it if Labor vs. Liberal is used)
Still Labor's safest in Victoria on raw 2PP vote (though I suspect Cooper and Wills would beat it on a Lab/Lib basis), but this was another seat where the populist right vote was large enough to dent the margin quite significant. Still, see what I said about Calwell.

Indi - Helen Haines's seat. Her win was extremely rare as she was replacing another Independent under a similar movement (centrist-style politics with environmental concerns). Usually Independents improve their vote upon re-election quite significantly so I would expect a significant swing towards Haines....but her margin might come down to whether she gets smeared as a Labor stalking horse by the Coalition. Can't see her losing, though.
Fairly robust sophmore surge for Helen Haines, although the margin here is under 60%. Still, she's probably safe enough here for as long as she wants.

Melbourne - Bandt has this seat for as long as he wants. Were Bandt to retire the seat will likely be very close, but that won't come for a while and by that point who knows what the Labor party will look like.
[/quote]
Bandt actually did get a decent sized swing against him on the 2PP vote, perhaps because it was Labor rather than the Liberals that finished second this time. But given he won a majority on first preferences.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #732 on: May 24, 2022, 08:01:51 AM »

You’re literally correct. Postal votes must be received within 13 days after polls close, then the weekend a fortnight after polling day is when they conduct the final distribution of preferences, with the results officially declared on the Monday through Wednesday the week after.
But if you think that’s bad the final declaration of Senate results isn’t until 4-5 weeks after polling day!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #733 on: May 24, 2022, 08:23:35 AM »

You’re literally correct. Postal votes must be received within 13 days after polls close, then the weekend a fortnight after polling day is when they conduct the final distribution of preferences, with the results officially declared on the Monday through Wednesday the week after.
But if you think that’s bad the final declaration of Senate results isn’t until 4-5 weeks after polling day!

I seem to recall Australia's long count being used as an example by the 'No' campaign when the Lib-Dems forced a referendum to try and get rid of FPTP during the coalition years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #734 on: May 24, 2022, 09:01:54 AM »

Multi-member STV is an absolute mess to count, so I'm not surprised it takes forever. Single-member IRV shouldn't be nearly as complicated though. Besides, that doesn't explain why it takes so long to finish counting first preferences too. I get the things about mail ballots, but damn is it annoying.
Logical

« Reply #735 on: May 24, 2022, 09:04:03 AM »

Can Labor snatch the 6th Senate seat in VIC and SA?
Pulaski

« Reply #736 on: May 24, 2022, 09:44:56 AM »

Australia should got nuclear. We've got the resources. We have a bit of the desert that has already been nuked, dump the waste there. This will get us off the carbon intensive power the Teals and Greens are so worried about. The fact that they consider a Nuclear option as off the table proves to me that they aren't serious about combating climate change. Without nuclear as an option the cost of electricity will bite the Teal's, Labor, and Greens in the posterior with the electorate long term. This is actually a great opportunity for the Coalition to stand for something that will benefit everyone.

Nuclear power is staggeringly expensive and time-consuming to get off the ground and pretty much every expert in the industry agrees it makes no commercial sense for Australia to get into the game at this point. Renewable projects with storage options are already much cheaper and quicker to get online and by 2040, which is about the earliest we could get even a SMR online (by which time we're already supposed to be heading towards net zero), that difference will only be greater.

I also like how you invoke Maralingla/Emu Field casually, as if there wasn't massive contamination and costly cleanup efforts, compensation claims and ongoing concerns. We already have a 10 year-old furphy over where to store the two swimming pools' worth of waste from ANSTO - largely because every proposed area experiences furious opposition from local towns and indigenous communities. I'm not usually a NIMBY lover, but I can't say I'd be wild about living next to a toxic nuclear waste dump.

This is to say nothing of the logistical nightmare of transporting large quantities of waste into the desert, an endeavour that local infrastructure is hardly set up for right now.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #737 on: May 24, 2022, 10:04:45 AM »

Don't know if it was raised here but, what is happening in Macnamara, Brisbane and Wannon? There are no TCP data in the AEC website. At the same time, it seems almost certain that Labor will reach, at maximum, 77 seats, right?
Pulaski

« Reply #738 on: May 24, 2022, 10:26:47 AM »

Don't know if it was raised here but, what is happening in Macnamara, Brisbane and Wannon? There are no TCP data in the AEC website. At the same time, it seems almost certain that Labor will reach, at maximum, 77 seats, right?

That's an indicator that they're either unsure of who will be the final 2 candidates left (in the case of Macnamara and Brisbane), or they're stopping their initial TCP count because it's clear the two candidates they were initially counting to aren't going to be the final two (though he isn't close enough to win, Alex Dyson is the clear second in Wannon).

For me, I already have Labor on 75, and it's still theoretically possible that they win Brisbane, Deakin, Gilmore and Lyons for 79. Hope is fading in Deakin in particular, though, and Brisbane and Gilmore are on a knife edge at the moment.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #739 on: May 24, 2022, 10:36:46 AM »

"The Liberals hold 16 of the poorest 20 seats".

Exactly. Also, so much for the socialists in the Greens's thinking they will appeal to a sacred proletariat Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #740 on: May 24, 2022, 10:48:07 AM »

Because of quite how separate the economies of regional and metropolitan Australia are, income statistics are not very useful for measuring class or even poverty and affluence except within contained geographies. Nearly all divisions with substantial social problems have Labor MPs, and the most glaring exception (Fowler) was lost because it turns out that parachuting a white and loudly anti-immigrant candidate onto a division that is essentially a series of non-white immigrant suburbs is asking for trouble. Meanwhile the big Liberal losses at the top of the social tree were lost to candidates who quite explicitly market themselves as centre-right but pro-environment ('teal' is the shade you get when you mix blue and green), not to Labor.* It's true that Labor won this election because the Coalition lost it, and because they lost it especially with some of their better-off voters, but a win is a win isn't it? Labor still have a lot of work to do to regain the trust of Australian swing voters (e.g. it is now really clear that the decent showing in '16 amongst that general crowd came because Turnbull wasn't liked by them), but perhaps that can only realistically be done in government, as it is from the party's last term in power that their poor reputation ultimately derives from.

*Higgins is a rather bizarre and absurdly socially polarised division that is absolutely sui generis in all respects and has been since it acquired its modern shape three decades ago.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #741 on: May 24, 2022, 11:31:53 AM »

Ah! Looks like the "Washminster" nickname really checks out!
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #742 on: May 24, 2022, 01:02:04 PM »

Because of quite how separate the economies of regional and metropolitan Australia are, income statistics are not very useful for measuring class or even poverty and affluence except within contained geographies. Nearly all divisions with substantial social problems have Labor MPs, and the most glaring exception (Fowler) was lost because it turns out that parachuting a white and loudly anti-immigrant candidate onto a division that is essentially a series of non-white immigrant suburbs is asking for trouble. Meanwhile the big Liberal losses at the top of the social tree were lost to candidates who quite explicitly market themselves as centre-right but pro-environment ('teal' is the shade you get when you mix blue and green), not to Labor.* It's true that Labor won this election because the Coalition lost it, and because they lost it especially with some of their better-off voters, but a win is a win isn't it? Labor still have a lot of work to do to regain the trust of Australian swing voters (e.g. it is now really clear that the decent showing in '16 amongst that general crowd came because Turnbull wasn't liked by them), but perhaps that can only realistically be done in government, as it is from the party's last term in power that their poor reputation ultimately derives from.

*Higgins is a rather bizarre and absurdly socially polarised division that is absolutely sui generis in all respects and has been since it acquired its modern shape three decades ago.

Labor still saw swings amongst the professional educated class, which allow it to win Reid, Boothby and Bennelong+Chisolm with Chinese voters. The teal wave was an extension of the liberal collapse amongst this professional educated group. Seats like Ryan and Brisbane would've fell to labor as well it seems.

What Labor really struggles with non-professional middle class outer-suburban voters if they want to win the election for a comfortable majority , because otherwise they have no stable path to governing coalitions.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #743 on: May 24, 2022, 02:16:13 PM »

I love the irony that arises from this election. Labor's vote went backwards and yet will still win enough seats to win government (might get to 78). The Liberals hold 16 of the poorest 20 seats. While Labor now hold more (7) of the richest 20 seats than the Coalition does (5). So much for the party of the working class.

This statistic is taken from this Roy Morgan piece which, while legitimately fascinating, chooses to base its statistics off average wealth in every seat rather than median -- the former is easily skewed by small wealthy communities and the latter is much more telling.

One observes from the chart that by median wealth, the poorest electorates are overwhelmingly Labor: of those with a median wealth of under $100K, 20 were won by Labor at the last election, 4 by the Coalition (all in Queensland -- Leichhardt, Forde, Flynn, and Herbert), 1 won by the Greens (Melbourne), 1 by an independent (Fowler), and 1 is yet to be called (Brisbane). Using this technique rather than education gives the result that very youth-dominated electorates like Melbourne are very poor, so it's not a perfect system, but it seems better than the one the article uses and there's no perfect way to measure class anyway.

Of those with a median wealth of over $400K, 7 voted Coalition, 5 voted teal (two teal seats, Wentworth and Kooyong, do not actually cross this threshold), and 1 voted Labor (Isaacs, which I am sort of confused by). Class-based voting seems quite alive in Australia, particularly outside of Queensland where it does appear much weaker than elsewhere.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #744 on: May 24, 2022, 02:20:54 PM »

That's an indicator that they're either unsure of who will be the final 2 candidates left (in the case of Macnamara and Brisbane), or they're stopping their initial TCP count because it's clear the two candidates they were initially counting to aren't going to be the final two (though he isn't close enough to win, Alex Dyson is the clear second in Wannon).

For me, I already have Labor on 75, and it's still theoretically possible that they win Brisbane, Deakin, Gilmore and Lyons for 79. Hope is fading in Deakin in particular, though, and Brisbane and Gilmore are on a knife edge at the moment.

Thanks for the info Smiley Indeed, the 1st preferences in these 3 seats are close, with Brisbane being the closest. Postal voting could swing a few seats for either side still.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #745 on: May 24, 2022, 05:17:47 PM »

Nearly all divisions with substantial social problems have Labor MPs, and the most glaring exception (Fowler) was lost because it turns out that parachuting a white and loudly anti-immigrant candidate onto a division that is essentially a series of non-white immigrant suburbs is asking for trouble. Meanwhile the big Liberal losses at the top of the social tree were lost to candidates who quite explicitly market themselves as centre-right but pro-environment ('teal' is the shade you get when you mix blue and green), not to Labor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dai_Le

The teal candidate who won that district is a Vietnamese refugee who used to be a Liberal until 2016. 60% of this jurisdiction is foreign-born- 15% in Vietnam alone and 7% in Iraq.

TL;DR of the last 3 pages or so in 2 mins

Thanks for sharing this with us. I laughed so hard at the video, lol.

This guy's "Australia in 2 mins" videos are stylistically inspired by a US-based YouTube personality who has an Australian father. One of the points made here was the ALP's delicate balancing act of the traditional blue-collar working class and of urbane/cosmopolitan professional class voters. Wonder if there were any noticeable swings of various "visible minority" groups or "subordinate class" constituencies elsewhere.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #746 on: May 24, 2022, 06:34:42 PM »

How strong is party discipline, will labour have any trouble keeping it's MP's in line ?

Crossing the floor is more of a Coalition phenomenon.
But isn't the ALP also infamous for factional infighting ? how comes that doesn't lead to their MP's crossing the floor or breaking with the whips

Yeah... but regardless of the factional infighting, the ALP is more disciplined in enforcing party-line votes, less likely to allow conscience votes, and more likely to expel members for crossing the floor.

Isaacs - given the election this should be safe Labor, especially as the Liberal candidate has a few problems with lying about residency. In future elections I could see this being tight as much of the territory is classic marginal territory at the state level, but this doesn't apply to 2022 and will obviously be future election dependent.
Status quo kind of result here. Boring.

Bruce - it's crazy to think how much the seat has changed in the last few years. The historic version combined Dandenong with Glen Waverley, then it became a purely Dandenong seat, now it has the Narre Warren area to go with Dandenong. In this time it's gone from a Labor-leaning seat to a very safe Labor one to a fairly safe Labor one. Unless it keeps moving east this should be Labor-held in the long-term.
Another seat where the vote barely budged from 2019. Though the electorate did deliver some odd swings, especially in the more working-class areas of the seat.

The interesting story here (and in other easy to ignore parts of metro Melbourne) is not the 2PP result so much as the wild, wild swings against the major parties on the primaries.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #747 on: May 24, 2022, 06:41:20 PM »

The most glaring exception (Fowler) was lost because it turns out that parachuting a white and loudly anti-immigrant candidate
I can't seem to find any record of Kristina Keneally being especaily anti-immigrant beyond some proposals to cut post pandemic temporary immigration from a quick google.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #748 on: May 24, 2022, 06:48:52 PM »

The teal candidate who won that district is a Vietnamese refugee who used to be a Liberal until 2016.
I wouldn’t consider her to be a ‘teal independent’. Her campaign was focused on being a longstanding local figure standing against an imposed (white) outsider rather than environmentalism. She’s even went as far as to attack the teal independents as not proper independents (like her apparently) due to their funding.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #749 on: May 24, 2022, 07:09:39 PM »

TL;DR of the last 3 pages or so in 2 mins

Thanks for sharing this with us. I laughed so hard at the video, lol.

This guy's "Australia in 2 mins" videos are stylistically inspired by a US-based YouTube personality who has an Australian father. One of the points made here was the ALP's delicate balancing act of the traditional blue-collar working class and of urbane/cosmopolitan professional class voters. Wonder if there were any noticeable swings of various "visible minority" groups or "subordinate class" constituencies elsewhere.
Not necessarily anti-Labor swing, but swings in some immigrant-heavy seats were relatively muted, IIRC.
I'd have to look at the updated results, though.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies