Yes, heavy metal music did corrupt youth and spread a bad message!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:11:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Yes, heavy metal music did corrupt youth and spread a bad message!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Yes, heavy metal music did corrupt youth and spread a bad message!  (Read 2152 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2022, 01:14:59 PM »

Glad this guy was able to admit this actually. Yes the criticisms of it were absolutely true. It was a terrible influence upon people.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »

I'd rather listen to Iron Maiden's worst album (No Prayer for the Dying) every day for the rest of my life than watch some dude commentating over a 30 year old news clip everybody has seen and rightfully mocked for being comically wrong and sensationalist about how, actually, Tipper Gore had a point and Judas Priestreally did drive people to suicide with a song they didn't even write. I'd also rather listen to No Prayer for the Dying than listen to a single emo album.

No Prayer for the Dying still had a couple good songs. Up the Irons!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 01:40:34 AM »

I'd rather listen to Iron Maiden's worst album (No Prayer for the Dying) every day for the rest of my life than watch some dude commentating over a 30 year old news clip everybody has seen and rightfully mocked for being comically wrong and sensationalist about how, actually, Tipper Gore had a point and Judas Priestreally did drive people to suicide with a song they didn't even write. I'd also rather listen to No Prayer for the Dying than listen to a single emo album.

No Prayer for the Dying still had a couple good songs. Up the Irons!

Uh, Tipper Gore was talking about Motley Crue there and her points are really valid.

Also have you even heard a single emo album? Because people who think emo is music for teenagers on MySpace in 2006 usually haven't. Take a look at how many songs here significantly predate MySpace, including the entire top 5.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 06:28:28 AM »

Sure and emo encouraged thousands of teens to commit suicide.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »

I recently watched the video the Punk Rock MBA (that ain't right, but it's close) is reacting to and had some of the same reactions (that dude is 15?  He looks 40!).

Listening to songs about suicide don't make people commit suicide and if there are no other signs of trouble, a parent shouldn't give a sh**t if their teenager is listening to songs about it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »

It's totally awesome when red's hipster Christianity and Mania for emo music collide and turn him into as bad a blue nose as any right wing socon,  and he doesn't even notice the incongruity

BRTD: Showing Atlas that "liberal" is not synonymous with "open minded" since 2003.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 10:48:54 AM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 11:25:39 AM »

Oh so that's why I'm corrupt!  Thanks, Red.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 12:15:20 PM »

So everyone who watches emo cuts themselves and wants to commit suicide and is a whiny B, right?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 12:33:54 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 12:58:08 PM by The Inherent Beauty of the Stars in January »

So everyone who watches emo cuts themselves and wants to commit suicide and is a whiny B, right?

Wrong. Are you talking about that stupid crap that kids on MySpace and cishet guys wearing makeup listened to? That ain't emo.

Like just look at the crowd in these...based on the hundreds of shows I've been to I can assure you that's what emo fans look like. I have never once seen one someone with the "MySpace look" at a show.

Also name a single song by Sunny Day Real Estate or Mineral or The Get Up Kids or Rites of Spring or Indian Summer or Saetia or Moss Icon or The Hotelier or Jawbreaker that encourages suicide.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 12:47:41 PM »

I'll admit to mild interest in what precisely the argument being made is, but not so much to justify immersing myself in YouTube criticism videos. What's the executive summary?
Basically Tipper Gore brings up the point that Motley Crue had lyrics like "Not a woman, but a whore. I can just taste the hate. Well now I'm killing you. Watch your face turning blue" and then the guy asks if you'd be totally fine with your teenage daughter listening to stuff like that. Like...yeah seriously. Or as he noted in another video if you would be OK with your teenage daughter going to a show where something like this shirt was at the merch table (I didn't imbed the image for a reason, so be warned, not exactly SFW and certainly deserves a CW.) But I know that any venue I frequent would definitely refuse to book a band with lyrics like Motley Crue and would refuse to allow shirts like that to be sold inside.

And after that he also notes that the gangster rap critics also had a point in that the number of people who picked up a gun and were inspired to think committing crime is cool after listening to gangster rap is non-zero.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 12:52:54 PM »

It's totally awesome when red's hipster Christianity and Mania for emo music collide and turn him into as bad a blue nose as any right wing socon,  and he doesn't even notice the incongruity

BRTD: Showing Atlas that "liberal" is not synonymous with "open minded" since 2003.
This dude was so liberal! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_N%C3%B6dtveidt

He totally stood up to the conservatives and the establishment! By...murdering a gay man in a satanic ritual (he managed to only go to jail from 1997-2004 because Sweden.)

But yeah any parents concerned that their kids are listening to music made by a guy like that are totally just uptight socons. Roll Eyes
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »

I'll admit to mild interest in what precisely the argument being made is, but not so much to justify immersing myself in YouTube criticism videos. What's the executive summary?
Basically Tipper Gore brings up the point that Motley Crue had lyrics like "Not a woman, but a whore. I can just taste the hate. Well now I'm killing you. Watch your face turning blue" and then the guy asks if you'd be totally fine with your teenage daughter listening to stuff like that. Like...yeah seriously. Or as he noted in another video if you would be OK with your teenage daughter going to a show where something like this shirt was at the merch table (I didn't imbed the image for a reason, so be warned, not exactly SFW and certainly deserves a CW.) But I know that any venue I frequent would definitely refuse to book a band with lyrics like Motley Crue and would refuse to allow shirts like that to be sold inside.

And after that he also notes that the gangster rap critics also had a point in that the number of people who picked up a gun and were inspired to think committing crime is cool after listening to gangster rap is non-zero.

Everyone know hair metal isn't real metal, LMAO.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 12:59:22 PM »

Wrong. Are you talking about that stupid crap that kids on MySpace and cishet guys wearing makeup listened to? That ain't emo.

Like just look at the crowd in these...based on the hundreds of shows I've been to I can assure you that's what emo fans look like. I have never once seen one someone with the "MySpace look" at a show.

Also name a single song by Sunny Day Real Estate or Mineral or The Get Up Kids or Rites of Spring or Indian Summer or Saetia or The Hotelier or Jawbreaker that encourages suicide.
The stuff those "kids on MySpace and cishet guys wearing makeup" listened to is at least as good as what you listen to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 01:06:42 PM »

Everyone know hair metal isn't real metal, LMAO.
Meh whatever it's garbage either way. Like about a month ago I was at a show and wanting to see Dying Wish and Kublai Khan but this death metal band 200 Stab Sounds opened and it was soooooo bad and the vocals were just like cookie monster growling and it was boring and I was thinking "DAMMIT BRING IN DYING WISH SO WE CAN HAVE OUR SICK ASS F[INKS]ING CIRCLE PITS!"

Luckily Dying Wish did not disappoint. It was like these videos....try finding people being like this at an Iron Maiden concert!

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 01:10:02 PM »

Also name a single song by Sunny Day Real Estate or Mineral or The Get Up Kids or Rites of Spring or Indian Summer or Saetia or The Hotelier or Jawbreaker that encourages suicide.
The stuff those "kids on MySpace and cishet guys wearing makeup" listened to is at least as good as what you listen to.
LOL it was perfectly summed up here (1:42):

Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 01:26:39 PM »

Also have you even heard a single emo album? Because people who think emo is music for teenagers on MySpace in 2006 usually haven't. Take a look at how many songs here significantly predate MySpace, including the entire top 5.
Meh whatever it's garbage either way.

Who cares about people moshing in a basement? Let me know when a real emo band can routinely pack arenas all over the world forty years into their career with fans of all ages and backgrounds so devoted that they can sing along to every riff and solo in addition to the lyrics, all while the band sounds better in their 50s and 60s than most musicians do in their 30s.

Devil worship is so cool.  
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 01:46:15 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 01:54:43 PM by Klobmentum »

The Metal God letting the crowd sing the entirety of Priest's most famous song >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever a circle pit is

But like also, you've never actually said what exactly the Moral Majority was right about, besides the shocking revelation that hair metal — which besides not being considered a real metal genre, has also been dead for thirty years — is misogynistic.

Black Sabbath got famous singing protest songs about war; you'll be happy to know their album, Master of Reality, is a Christian doom metal album that actually rocks. Iron Maiden sings songs about mythology, literature, and history. Metallica's 80s stuff was about drug addiction, war, censorship, the death penalty and their controversial suicide song is one of the few suicide songs that very accurately portrays the painful thoughts and feelings of being in that situation. And don't get me started on Death's masterpieces. These aren't obscure exceptions to the rule; these are the most famous and acclaimed metal bands of all time. The news clip you posted in the OP is notorious and funny because of how laughably off base it is.

Meanwhile, that festival with all the Hot Topic bands you say aren't emo is generating more discussion and excitement among people who don't post about foot fetishes on election forums than I've seen surrounding any form of emo music, authentic or not, since the days of MySpace.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 02:11:10 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 02:14:27 PM by The Inherent Beauty of the Stars in January »

Meanwhile, that festival with all the Hot Topic bands you say aren't emo is generating more discussion and excitement among people who don't post about foot fetishes on election forums than I've seen surrounding any form of emo music, authentic or not, since the days of MySpace.

Furnace Fest was just a couple months ago and it also was MASSIVE and sure generated excitement and discussion. I mean why did I fly to ALABAMA? And of course it was awesome. And did people care and come? Uh...

Also LOL@anyone who says death metal and black metal aren't mysoginistic. I'd post examples but they'd probably violate ToS.

And those videos are just boring as f[inks]. What the hell would I do if I was at an Iron Maiden concert? And those awful vocals....YIKES
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 02:23:48 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 02:27:57 PM by Klobmentum »

Generally at concerts, metal or otherwise, you listen to the music.

Imagine calling Bruce Dickenson an awful vocalist. Like, you don't have to like the music, but he's widely considered one of the best vocalists ever, even outside of metal. And the fact that he's 63 and a throat cancer survivor and is only just now starting to decline slightly after sounding exactly the same for forty years. There's no accounting for taste, but good god, I've literally never seen anyone, even people who hate metal more than you do, call his vocals anything less than spectacular, let alone "awful." And judging by the "boring" crowds at Maiden shows that have been packing arenas for forty years on six continents (Metallica played on all seven!) vs. the circle pits at your shows, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with you either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 02:32:34 PM »

So stand around and suffer in agony. Ugh. I can't even get in a pit to distract myself or whatever.

Imagine calling Bruce Dickenson an awful vocalist. Like, you don't have to like the music, but he's widely considered one of the best vocalists ever, even outside of metal. And the fact that he's 63 and a throat cancer survivor and is only just now starting to decline slightly after sounding exactly the same for forty years. There's no accounting for taste, but good god, I've literally never seen anyone, even people who hate metal more than you do, call his vocals anything less than spectacular, let alone "awful." And judging by the "boring" crowds at Maiden shows that have been packing arenas for forty years on six continents (Metallica played on all seven!) vs. the circle pits at your shows, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with you either.

Wrong. Doing so for me would be super easy, barely an inconvenience. Like right now I'm posting in a Facebook group with 22k members who'd all agree with me. And all the people packed into venues when I go to these shows would. Like look at that crowd before Thursday!

BTW I think Thursday has toured South Africa, meaning they have played in all six populated continents.
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 02:38:38 PM »

So stand around and suffer in agony. Ugh. I can't even get in a pit to distract myself or whatever.
I mean, I'd be in agony too if I had to listen to your music. But when music is good, it is fun to listen to it. That is the primary reason people pay for music, in fact!

And metal shows do have mosh pits. Metal had mosh pits before emo even existed. I don't know anything about moshing because I listen to music for the music.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 02:41:18 PM »

I mean, I'd be agony too if I had to listen to your music. But when music is good, it is fun to listen to it. That is the primary reason people pay for music, in fact!

And metal shows do have mosh pits. Metal had mosh pits before emo even existed. I don't know anything about then because I listen to music for the music.
I'm not seeing people act in those Iron Maiden videos like they are in that Evergreen Terrace at Furnace Fest video or the recoded people in that Knocked Loose video.

Like where are the people who are as into Iron Maiden as the people here? Is anyone even crowdsurfing?

Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 02:48:29 PM »

I mean, I'd be agony too if I had to listen to your music. But when music is good, it is fun to listen to it. That is the primary reason people pay for music, in fact!

And metal shows do have mosh pits. Metal had mosh pits before emo even existed. I don't know anything about then because I listen to music for the music.
I'm not seeing people act in those Iron Maiden videos like they are in that Evergreen Terrace at Furnace Fest video or the recoded people in that Knocked Loose video.

Like where are the people who are as into Iron Maiden as the people here?
The point of music is the music. Maiden fans sing along not only to every word, but to every note in the riffs and the solos, from the front row to the nosebleeds. Of course, besides the moshing and crowdsurfing which metal does have as well (but even EDM has moshpits, so I don't see why you're so impressed by them), there's also headbanging and whatnot, but the point of the music is the music. Go to a Maiden show and you'll meet tens of thousands of people who own all seventeen of their albums, have seen tons of their shows, learned an instrument just so they could play The Trooper, and often have Eddie tattoos. It's the music that connects with people. Like any genre, except apparently yours, where passion is quantified by flailing a trashcan around like a tweaker.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 02:49:48 PM »

There's always been a huge divide on the left in terms of free speech and morality policing. Many liberals have always had a nanny-state tendency in them. Liberal attempts to censor Gone with the Wind in film schools and on television date back well over half a century if not longer, to cite one example. This kind of whiny, "think of the children!" art policing has been part of a certain segment of the left for way longer than the woke brigade of today or Tipper Gore of yesterday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies