Robert Reich tweets, then quickly deletes, that other Senators should slap sinema
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:56:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Robert Reich tweets, then quickly deletes, that other Senators should slap sinema
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Robert Reich tweets, then quickly deletes, that other Senators should slap sinema  (Read 881 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:05 AM »

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 10:00:06 AM »

A dumb thing to say.

Voters should force her into retirement though.  She won't get through her primary, absolutely zero chance of it now.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »

I'm as upset as you can imagine about Sinema and Manchin's obstruction as they become useful idiots for the obstructionist McTurtle Caucus, but tweeting or doing stuff like this does nothing helping our actual cause. It's as silly as harassing lawmakers on airports or trains.

And if we're going down this route, we no longer have the right to call out the Trump cult and the GOP in general.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:06:43 AM »

He's right in spirit but phrased it horribly. "...given her the middle finger" would have worked just as well.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:09:24 AM »

I'm as upset as you can imagine about Sinema and Manchin's obstruction as they become useful idiots for the obstructionist McTurtle Caucus, but tweeting or doing stuff like this does nothing helping our actual cause. It's as silly as harassing lawmakers on airports or trains.

And if we're going down this route, we no longer have the right to call out the Trump cult and the GOP in general.

I have no problem with lawmakers being confronted by voters in public, so long as there is nothing violent.  Voters have every right to approach their elected officials in any public forum whatsoever.  And if the official does something that hurts voters, they deserve to be called out for it.

So long as Sinema and Manchin are senators, the public shaming should continue.  Again, as long as it isn't violent.
kwabbit

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:23:54 AM »

Robert Reich has been debasing himself for Twitter likes for five years. What else is new.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 10:31:55 AM »

I feel that it would be a wholly appropriate time to remind everyone that Robert Reich is 4'11.

I usually don't mock people's heights, but this embarrassing fool just endorsed violence against women, so I do not give him that level of respect.

Reich's got a genetic disorder. Congrats, now you're just as bad as him.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »

I feel that it would be a wholly appropriate time to remind everyone that Robert Reich is 4'11.

I usually don't mock people's heights, but this embarrassing fool just endorsed violence against women, so I do not give him that level of respect.

I was genuinely not aware of that. Deleting ASAP.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »

Don't worry, I didn't know that either.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »

As always Democrats are what they accuse GOP to be. If (R) white little d*ck would single out a beautiful bi woman and wanted to "slap" her, it would be a BREAKING NEWS on CNN proving that GOP is sexist AF and Democrats would come to congress dress all white with pussyhats on their heads.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 11:06:51 AM »

Don't worry, I didn't know that either.

I didn’t know he was 4’ 11”.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 11:12:21 AM »

He was just joking. Stop clutching your pearls.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 11:24:14 AM »

It is a turn of phrase not meant to suggest actually battery is appropriate. Time for another chill pill. And turning now to Mr. Reich, the lady has already become an untouchable in the Dem frat house. So that wad has been shot.

give (someone) the back of (one's) hand
2. To reject, snub, or rebuke someone; to display to someone a show of contempt, scorn, or rejection. I'll give the back of my hand to anyone who says I'm not a good parent.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »

It was clearly a figure of speech rather than an endorsement of violence, but it was still a dumb thing to tweet.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 12:01:56 PM »

Based?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 12:02:03 PM »

Given the barest majority that the Democratic Party holds in the Senate, was this wise?

Sinema really does surprise me, but she comes from a state that may trend D but is a tossup at best.  Would Cal Cunningham have been all in on this level of Leftism?  Would Joe Donnelly or Heidi Heitkamp, if they had made it back?  Claire McCaskill runs her leftist rap now that she's MSNBC, but if she were still D-Missouri how much pause would she have?

Politics is about not alienating who you need, even when they're not always with you.  The Democratic Party will regret the rift they are causing here.  The long arc of history looks more kindly on those that compromise and achieve than those who gain nothing out of pride and foolishness.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 12:25:59 PM »

I genuinely don’t think Rob Reich has ever slapped someone in his life.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 12:30:03 PM »

I saw Robert Reich speak once during my undergrad years. He comes across like the many ineffectual leftist academics in South America who have obsessive youth followings yet absolutely no appeal outside of those circles. It's pretty sad that a former cabinet secretary has been reduced to posting "clapbacks" on Twitter as a career. Let's also not forget that the man is a proven NIMBY.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 01:25:48 PM »

Wow. I'm quite surprised.
He would be one of the last people I would think would say such a thing.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 02:23:37 PM »

Given the barest majority that the Democratic Party holds in the Senate, was this wise?

Sinema really does surprise me, but she comes from a state that may trend D but is a tossup at best.  Would Cal Cunningham have been all in on this level of Leftism?  Would Joe Donnelly or Heidi Heitkamp, if they had made it back?  Claire McCaskill runs her leftist rap now that she's MSNBC, but if she were still D-Missouri how much pause would she have?

Politics is about not alienating who you need, even when they're not always with you.  The Democratic Party will regret the rift they are causing here.  The long arc of history looks more kindly on those that compromise and achieve than those who gain nothing out of pride and foolishness.

Sometimes it's better to take a bold stand, explain it as best as you can and then own it. It's still called representative democracy, in which voters grant elected officials the power to make decisions for a limited amount of time. If they don't like it (anymore), don't vote for the person again.

At least this is how it's supposed to work, but most politicians are daytraders and more care about winning reelection than anything else.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 03:13:21 PM »

I would agree, but first of all, this isn't always true (a well-known Goldwater quote explains this; sometimes you have to be principled and not compromise on principle - not that this is any issue where principle matters very much), and second, it's a strange comment coming from you given your own partisanship and uncompromising, conservative (almost stubborn nature.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »

I would agree, but first of all, this isn't always true (a well-known Goldwater quote explains this; sometimes you have to be principled and not compromise on principle - not that this is any issue where principle matters very much), and second, it's a strange comment coming from you given your own partisanship and uncompromising, conservative (almost stubborn nature.

Fuzzy is not a conservative. He is a Trump cultist.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 03:18:58 PM »

Normally, we get clownish acts from Santander. But here, he tells some truth.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 03:25:21 PM »

Better than what the French revolutionaries did to the Girondin’s. /Shrug
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 03:28:36 PM »

You think AZ is still possibly tilt or lean Republican? No, it's tossup or in some ways, tilt D. A majority of AZ's US representatives are Democrats, both senators are, and it voted blue in 2020 (though it's possible you're one of the people who somehow still questions that).

Sinema really does surprise me, but she comes from a state that may trend D but is a tossup at best.  Would Cal Cunningham have been all in on this level of Leftism?  Would Joe Donnelly or Heidi Heitkamp, if they had made it back?  Claire McCaskill runs her leftist rap now that she's MSNBC, but if she were still D-Missouri how much pause would she have?

Politics is about not alienating who you need, even when they're not always with you.  The Democratic Party will regret the rift they are causing here. The long arc of history looks more kindly on those that compromise and achieve than those who gain nothing out of pride and foolishness.

Sadly, the two terms are synonymous now, but that's what I mean.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies