What primarily killed New Atheism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What primarily killed New Atheism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What primarily killed New Atheism?
Credible accusations of racism/sexism against prominent New Atheists

Decline of conservative religious groups creating less backlash

Unpopularity amongst marginalized demographics

Discrediting itself via use of debunked talking points (Horus, et. al.)

Decline of social conservative policies (Federal Marriage Amendment, state gay marriage bans, abstinence only sex education/stealth creationism curricula in schools) resulting in less hostility amongst secular people

Greater visibility of liberal religion/possible increase in membership after decades of decline

New Atheists acting just as dogmatic as fundamentalist religious people themselves

Backlash toward things like r/atheism creating negative stereotypes of New Atheists ("Fat guy with a neckbeard in a fedora")

It was just a trend, it was never going to last long-term.

Other (please explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What primarily killed New Atheism?  (Read 2336 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 18, 2022, 07:57:56 PM »
« edited: January 19, 2022, 04:46:34 AM by Butlerian Jihad »

If 'dying off' resulted in declaring ones atheism to become twice as popular amongst GenZ than Millennials then I'll put flowers on it's grave.

I think this is probably because the perception of self-identified atheism among people younger than twenty-five or so is no longer dominated by people like Dawkins, Harris, etc. That and the fact that it's especially clear in very-young online spaces that "nothing in particular" says nothing about one's actual views and that plenty of people who describe themselves that way are at least as nonrational in their approach to fundamental questions as most religious people.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:18:29 PM »

Harris is literally talking about genetic causes for Black crime rates. If this doesn't make you alt-right, then the term has no meaning.

As far as I am aware, Harris has never professed such views. He hosted Charles Murray on his podcast-- a questionable decision, perhaps, but definitely not a blanket endorsement of everything his guest has ever written or said. Maybe there is some other controversy I'm not aware of, but this is the only time that race comes up on Harris' Wiki page.

I distinctly remember him strongly signaling agreement with these views in multiple instances, but obviously I don't remember those since I don't think about it very much. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but he's at the very least heavily leaning in that direction.

From what I've heard, most of the accusations of racism levied against Harris hinge upon his attacks on Islam, especially on Bill Maher's show a few years back. I always thought these were totally baseless and unsubstantiated.

As far back as a decade or so ago Harris openly supported racial profiling, including--self-admittedly--of himself if need be (Harris being Jewish and Jews, famously, looking a lot like Arabs in many cases). On the other hand, this was in the context of his opposition to Islam, so I suppose an argument could be made that it was an unseemly combination of an anti-Muslim view and a hyper-utilitarian view, rather than a racist view per se.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies